Washington DC Message Boards

Rees Responds To Aglue

Luke,

How many times do you, as owner and moderator of this forum, have to ask the SAME person to behave in accordance with your posted rules before they are summarily banned all together?

B. Frank

The more he's allowed to compulsively post here, the higher the board's usage stats. This makes it easier to market DCPages to advertisers and investors.

Sadly, profit usually trumps propriety.

There are important issues that need to be solved in the District. But, it seems no one really wants to discuss them. The reality is that people are more interested in someone's character or beliefs than what he/she is planning to do to help improve the community.

I challenge everyone that is participating in this forum to put aside their differences and post issues that will help our citizens here locally. Human is one member that does that all the time. We may not agree on every issue, but I respect the relevance of the topics posted by this member.

Maybe we can all work together on a project. My friends and I were talking about spending a few hours to clean a portion of the Potomac River. If you would like to participate or have a better idea just let everyone here know.

Just think about it.

There are important issues that need to be solved in the District. But, it seems no one really wants to discuss them. The reality is that people are more interested in someone's character or beliefs than what he/she is planning to do to help improve the community.

I challenge everyone that is participating in this forum to put aside their differences and post issues that will help our citizens here locally. Human is one member that does that all the time. We may not agree on every issue, but I respect the relevance of the topics posted by this member.

Maybe we can all work together on a project. My friends and I were talking about spending a few hours to clean a portion of the Potomac River. If you would like to participate or have a better idea just let everyone here know.

Just think about it.

The issue isn't whether those of us here spend time volunteering for our community. And as a person who's very engaged in volunteer work, I kind of resent the implication.

The issue is why you continue to allow the board rules to be violated. I do not think that enabling libel, cruelty and deception by a political candidate (particularly when directed against private citizens) is in any way helping to "improve the community." In fact, I think it has exactly the opposite effect.

Again, if it weren't for you allowing libelous posts and hate speech, no one would have to respond to them. And if your board stats plummeted, well so be it.

I agree with Truthseeker. The problem isn't that people don't care about the community or don't help in various ways -- like Truthseeker, I certainly do.

The problem is that Jonathan Rees continues to bring this forum to new lows by his vile attacks on Martin and others, by his continual lying, and by his complete disregard for anything that smacks of the truth. It is important to point out when a candidate for office is lying. That's a commendable public duty. Indeed, if you know somebody is lying, then it is your obligation as a citizen to say something.

Do we really want Jonathan Rees' statements to go unchallenged? That would be a disservice to the community.

To say that character doesn't matter is simply flat wrong. We don't elect "issues." We elect individuals. In all my years I've never encountered somebody like Jonathan Rees, who has shown himself to be not only unfit for public office, but truly evil and cruel.

The issue isn't whether those of us here spend time volunteering for our community. And as a person who's very engaged in volunteer work, I kind of resent the implication.

The issue is why you continue to allow the board rules to be violated. I do not think that enabling libel, cruelty and deception by a political candidate (particularly when directed against private citizens) is in any way helping to "improve the community." In fact, I think it has exactly the opposite effect.

Again, if it weren't for you allowing libelous posts and hate speech, no one would have to respond to them. And if your board stats plummeted, well so be it.

Luke,

You have no idea who I am or what kind of volunteer time I give to my community. Suffice it to say it is significant, whether in local associations and political activism, in soup kitchens, environmental clean-ups or things like "Hands on DC".

That said, I agree there are important issues that we face in our neighborhoods, in our Ward, in our city and our region. The political campaign is an opportunity for the citizens of each local jurisdiction to choose the leaders to confront these issues.

Message boards and blogs like DC Pages is but one outlet for political candidates to address issues, absorb public sentiment and otherwise conduct a campaign.

The problem is that the one political candidate who has chosen to post in this forum has yet to present any substance on the "issues". Rather, this candidate has made his personal issues (his family, his professional life, his educational background, and his children) and allegations he makes about his opponents "the issue". These posts, dating back to the November when I started posting have been rife with half-truths, lies, innuendo, etc. that when researched, prove to be mostly false, and generally based on his own heresay. It is also obvious, based on the trail left at Yahoo Listserve's since the summer and back in 2001, that the MO of this candidate has not wavered.

The record is clear (as I have posted in the 'multiple alias' threads) that the IP addresses for this candidate are consistent from the Summer of 2005 to the late fall, when he discovered the proxy IP process. Even then, the groupings of IP addresses through the proxy servers are consistent. This person has clearly violated numerous TOS obligations as truthseeker has noted. You have the tools to research the IP addresses of everyone who has posted here, and see the common threads, based on user ID, IP address and ISP. It is fairly conclusive.

As board moderator, if you want serious discussion, it requires work to keep valid posters active and in-line, and further to keep the multiple alias, TOS violating posters off the boards.

It's just my two cents, but if you want that kind of behavior on these boards, you have to be a more active moderator, or else let other people help in that regard. As factchecker2 noted, when lies are being spread, they should be challenged. Perhaps an examination of the origin of the lies would help?

Otherwise, you are left with what the last 10 pages of posts from the fall and winter have yielded.

B. Frank

Just think about it.

Rees says that Aglue is that gay guy in Glover Park who is constantly running ads over on Craigs List under m4m looking to get plowed but cannot seem to get a man for a real relationship because no man wants to lower their standards.

Rees, your the only man I love, you know that. Why don't you answer my posts sweety?

BFrank,

You are quite right. And violating members have been blocked according to the guidelines.

What is Hands in DC all about?

Truthseeker,

I apologize if I did not communicate clearly. I expect to know nothing more than

what people post on these boards.

I appreciate people taking the time to post informative articles and opinions on what

is going on in our community.

I also want to remind people that children do read these boards as well.

Hands on DC is an annual city wide event where groups (such as Alumni Clubs, local independant schools, office workers) form teams to go into selected DC public schools, and perform clean-ups, landscaping, painting walls, etc.

It is a great way to spend a usually nice weekend afternoon, and a concrete way of helping the DCPS. Granted, it is a drop in the bucket for what the schools need, but for people who are otherwise not normally connected to the city, it is a great way to help foster ties in the community.

Here is their website:

http://www.handsondc.org/

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.