Washington DC Message Boards

People who know Rees

Gay

Since I do not know Rees but my brother is a Democrat, he has asked around to people he knows about what they know about the candidates for our ward 3 council seat.

We all remember Erik Gaull. He was the guy who ran the mean spirited and dishonest campaign against Kathy Patterson last time round and lost. His reputation for being an arrogant jerk is beyond dispute and the Washington Post called him a gadfly. My brother said he would not vote for Gaull.

We all know Kathy Wiss as she is one of our ANC commissioners. My brother said that she is the ultimate air head and a very difficult person to get along with. My brother said he would not vote for Wiss.

We all know Robert Gordon another ANC commissioner but little is known about him.

We all know Mary Cheh as not just being a law professor but Kathy Patterson relied on her many times to testify on a few issues before the council. Other than this, nothing is known about her. My brother said she is worth a second look.

We all know Sam Brooks. My brother said he is not even a consideration because he just lacks any real experience in anything that would qualify him for the awesome task of being a council member.

As for Rees, my brother says he has asked around and Rees only claim to fame seems to be the years he spent on Capitol Hill working for the international food giant Royal Ahold of the Netherlands, his involvement in a few civil rights cases and his heavy ties to the Hispanic community of DC. Other than this, little else is known about him.

This is what we all should be looking at. Sizing up the experiences of the candidates, weigh that against the position on issues they have taken and then decide which one would be best able to carry them out against the back drop of who will be our next mayor and other council members.

Here is my take:

Eric Gaull (Palisades)...experienced, but while I have never met him, or had any personal interaction with him, your characterizatoin is probably not far off.

Cathy Wiss...ANC3D Commissioner (North Cleveland Park/Tenleytown). I don't think she is an air head, but I probably disagree with some of her anti development pronouncements. I am also not familiar with any leadership she has demonstrated as an ANC Commissioner, although I will expect that this will come out during the campaign.

Robert Gordon...a businessman and consultant, Chair of ANC3/4G (Chevy Chase, DC), hasn't been very active in his role in the community until a newfound visibility during the Fall. He seems to be very levelheaded and balanced, and willing to go to bat for issues he cares about. I have no idea what kind of leadership he has demonstrated as chair, but like Wiss, I expect this to come out during the course of the campaign.

Mary Cheh (Forest Hills), a GWU law professor. People who know her really think she is fabulous. She was involved with the whole 'demonstrators being arrested' thing back in 2002. She worked with and testified before Kathy Patterson on that. Her educational and professional credentials are probably the strongest of any of the declared candidates. However, we will have to see where she is on various issues of concern to Ward 3 citizens. It will also be interesting to see what kind of political base she is able to develop.

Sam Brooks (Cleveland Park/Forest Hills) is probably the most politically saavy amongst the field of candidates. He has good insider DC experience inside the walls of the Wilson building. If Fenty becomes the new Mayor, having Sam as a Ward 3 Council person will be good for the citizens of the Ward. He also has managed the largest financial war chest of the candidates. However, he is young. It is still a question if his youth is an asset, or a liability, and only the electoral process will answer that question. As evidenced by his blog, he does have a good grasp of the issues, and is also willing to take stands. There is a core set of beliefs there. It will also be interesting to see what kind of base Brooks is able to manufacture within the Ward.

Jonathan Rees (Glover Park)...Mr. Rees is an interesting case. If I had taken his claims at face value when I first came across his name, I would have thought he would have been a terrific candidate. Educated, lengthy professional experience, family man. However, over the course of 3-4 months, I have not been able to verify any of the claims he has made on his background. Further, the incessant overusage of the internet to fuel his campaign, in the form of unwanted email and inappropriate and excessive message board/blog banter makes this candidate unattractive at a minimum, and abusive and intolerant to worse.

I firmly believe that the slate of candidates is not set. However, if the above is what we have, I would say that it will be a race between Cheh and Gordon.

B. Frank

Since I do not know Rees but my brother is a Democrat, he has asked around to people he knows about what they know about the candidates for our ward 3 council seat.

We all remember Erik Gaull. He was the guy who ran the mean spirited and dishonest campaign against Kathy Patterson last time round and lost. His reputation for being an arrogant jerk is beyond dispute and the Washington Post called him a gadfly. My brother said he would not vote for Gaull.

We all know Kathy Wiss as she is one of our ANC commissioners. My brother said that she is the ultimate air head and a very difficult person to get along with. My brother said he would not vote for Wiss.

We all know Robert Gordon another ANC commissioner but little is known about him.

We all know Mary Cheh as not just being a law professor but Kathy Patterson relied on her many times to testify on a few issues before the council. Other than this, nothing is known about her. My brother said she is worth a second look.

We all know Sam Brooks. My brother said he is not even a consideration because he just lacks any real experience in anything that would qualify him for the awesome task of being a council member.

As for Rees, my brother says he has asked around and Rees only claim to fame seems to be the years he spent on Capitol Hill working for the international food giant Royal Ahold of the Netherlands, his involvement in a few civil rights cases and his heavy ties to the Hispanic community of DC. Other than this, little else is known about him.

This is what we all should be looking at. Sizing up the experiences of the candidates, weigh that against the position on issues they have taken and then decide which one would be best able to carry them out against the back drop of who will be our next mayor and other council members.

You may be right Bfrank.

Yet, let us not forget that 9 out of 10 voters do not pay attention to credentials or issues like you, I and a few others do but are too easily swayed by aggressive and persistent candidates.

While Cheh and Gordon might be the ideal candidate, will they be able to muster a campaign drive equal to what I have seen coming from Brooks and Rees in the form of campaign advertising.

If you have notice Bfrank, Brooks is advertising over the internet just as heavily as Rees is and half of that out on the streets of ward 3.

I never thought that Patterson would upset Nathanson but she did and it was a shock as even the Wash Post did not see it coming.

Here is my take:

Eric Gaull (Palisades)...experienced, but while I have never met him, or had any personal interaction with him, your characterizatoin is probably not far off.

Cathy Wiss...ANC3D Commissioner (North Cleveland Park/Tenleytown). I don\'t think she is an air head, but I probably disagree with some of her anti development pronouncements. I am also not familiar with any leadership she has demonstrated as an ANC Commissioner, although I will expect that this will come out during the campaign.

Robert Gordon...a businessman and consultant, Chair of ANC3/4G (Chevy Chase, DC), hasn\'t been very active in his role in the community until a newfound visibility during the Fall. He seems to be very levelheaded and balanced, and willing to go to bat for issues he cares about. I have no idea what kind of leadership he has demonstrated as chair, but like Wiss, I expect this to come out during the course of the campaign.

Mary Cheh (Forest Hills), a GWU law professor. People who know her really think she is fabulous. She was involved with the whole \'demonstrators being arrested\' thing back in 2002. She worked with and testified before Kathy Patterson on that. Her educational and professional credentials are probably the strongest of any of the declared candidates. However, we will have to see where she is on various issues of concern to Ward 3 citizens. It will also be interesting to see what kind of political base she is able to develop.

Sam Brooks (Cleveland Park/Forest Hills) is probably the most politically saavy amongst the field of candidates. He has good insider DC experience inside the walls of the Wilson building. If Fenty becomes the new Mayor, having Sam as a Ward 3 Council person will be good for the citizens of the Ward. He also has managed the largest financial war chest of the candidates. However, he is young. It is still a question if his youth is an asset, or a liability, and only the electoral process will answer that question. As evidenced by his blog, he does have a good grasp of the issues, and is also willing to take stands. There is a core set of beliefs there. It will also be interesting to see what kind of base Brooks is able to manufacture within the Ward.

Jonathan Rees (Glover Park)...Mr. Rees is an interesting case. If I had taken his claims at face value when I first came across his name, I would have thought he would have been a terrific candidate. Educated, lengthy professional experience, family man. However, over the course of 3-4 months, I have not been able to verify any of the claims he has made on his background. Further, the incessant overusage of the internet to fuel his campaign, in the form of unwanted email and inappropriate and excessive message board/blog banter makes this candidate unattractive at a minimum, and abusive and intolerant to worse.

I firmly believe that the slate of candidates is not set. However, if the above is what we have, I would say that it will be a race between Cheh and Gordon.

B. Frank

If you don't know Rees, then I find it very interesting you posted this:

Gay Republican

post Today, 07:42 PM

Post #8

**Group: Member

Member No.: 3,706

Again, what right do any of you have to know how many wives, children and so on a candidate has had? I think when you demand such, you are crossing a line of decency as such a questions should never be demanded. This is just my point of view.

I have seen Rees twice with his wife when shopping at the Safeway on Wisconsin Avenue but never accompanied by any children. Other than this, I know nothing about his family nor would I go so far as to ask him as that would be disrepectful.

Strange you would be able to recognize not only someone you don't know, but him and his wife twice out in public. Are you admitting to stalking here Mr. Republican? Or should I just call you Rees?

What kind of internet campaign advertising has Sam Brooks done? I haven't seen any.

Please provide links.

B. Frank

While Cheh and Gordon might be the ideal candidate, will they be able to muster a campaign drive equal to what I have seen coming from Brooks and Rees in the form of campaign advertising.

If you have notice Bfrank, Brooks is advertising over the internet just as heavily as Rees is and half of that out on the streets of ward 3.

If you go to google, hotbot and others and type in Sam Brooks, on the right side of the page after hitting the search button, a banner ad will pop in for Sam Brooks. I also saw next to his a banner ad for Scott Bolden.

What kind of internet campaign advertising has Sam Brooks done? I haven\'t seen any.

Please provide links.

B. Frank

Interesting. So what advertising is Rees doing online?

If you go to google, hotbot and others and type in Sam Brooks, on the right side of the page after hitting the search button, a banner ad will pop in for Sam Brooks. I also saw next to his a banner ad for Scott Bolden.

I have not seen any internet advertising by Rees anywhere other than a few shots at the list servers. I think his advertising is strictly door to door.

Other than this, I have heard that he gives speeches before private groups that invite him to their meetings.

Interesting. So what advertising is Rees doing online?

So when you include Rees and Brooks in the same sentence:

What are you referring to? Clearly Mr. Brooks online keyword purchases are not the same as sending spam emails and posting incessantly on Blogs and Listserves, is it?

B. Frank

Depends on whether you use MIE, MOZILLA or NETSCAPE but when they pop up, they can be annoying and no different than spam as nobody asked for that.

I am the type who is not offended by Spam as I found some good buys from Spam.

So when you include Rees and Brooks in the same sentence:

What are you referring to? Clearly Mr. Brooks online keyword purchases are not the same as sending spam emails and posting incessantly on Blogs and Listserves, is it?

B. Frank

Interesting, on mine they simply show up as sponsored links. no pop up, or anything different from any other web search. That is across different browsers and platforms (Wintel/Linux/MacOSX, etc.)

Depends on whether you use MIE, MOZILLA or NETSCAPE but when they pop up, they can be annoying and no different than spam as nobody asked for that.

I am the type who is not offended by Spam as I found some good buys from Spam.

It does on mine when I use Mozilla.

I like Vincent Oranges website as he has a mini video on it.

Interesting, on mine they simply show up as sponsored links. no pop up, or anything different from any other web search. That is across different browsers and platforms (Wintel/Linux/MacOSX, etc.)