Washington DC Message Boards

Professor Mary Cheh for Ward 3 City Council!!!

rmurph

Hello all,

For those of you who don't know Mary Cheh, she is an awesome lady!

I had a difficult when I returned from Iraq to re-enroll at GW Law School.

Constitutional Law Professor Cheh is the reason I didn't drop out. Without a doubt.

She is warm, caring, hilariously funny, a true-believer in American democracy... and she's absolutely brilliant.

She's also completely ETHICAL, and she is SERIOUS about PROMOTING the BEST PUBLIC POLICY.

She would be a brilliant representative for Ward 3.

If you don't know her, you should get to know her. She's amazing.

Feel free to shoot any questions you have to me.

• 5 months later...
Guest Guest

Whatever Rees. Everyone knows that you sent the letter and tried to blame it on Brooks.

You're nothing if not transparent.

Sincerely,

The Committee to Elect Anyone but Rees in September

I think that rotten mailing Sam Brooks did to Cheh stung her pretty good as she has been very quiet and not seen.

This letter was mailed out to thousands. http://www.angelfire.com/crazy/sambrooks/letter.pdf

How does Professor Cheh plan to modernize and bring all of our school buildings up to code differ from the other candidates?

Is it true that Professor Cheh plans to work as a law professor and be a city council member?

Guest Guest

According to her presentations at the two public forums thus far, Cheh will use her oversite powers on the Council to foster the modernization and spending needed to upgrade the facilities. This is no different than most of the other candidates. Of course, with DCPS, the hands are mostly in the School Board, whereas the Council simply has budgetary oversite.

She said her committment to GWU is for a single class next spring, a class which she has taught for over 15 years. She does not expect the time committment for that to exceed her committment to other activities, such as jogging. I inferred from her comments that she will be able to dedicate the 50-80 hours a week necessary to execute the position.

Of course, most of the candidates are pledging "full time" committments to the council.

How does Professor Cheh plan to modernize and bring all of our school buildings up to code differ from the other candidates?

Is it true that Professor Cheh plans to work as a law professor and be a city council member?

Guest Bob Summersgill

I'll have to agree that Mary Cheh is a wonderful lady and would make an outstanding councilmember.

Back in 1991 at GWU, the gay alumni group, a faculty/staff group, and two student groups were working to get "sexual orientation" added to the university's non-discrimination policy. Frankly, we had hit a wall and could not get past President Trachtenberg who opposed the change.

Professor Cheh, a member of the Faculty Senate, took up our cause and successfully took it through the Senate, and on to the Board of Trustees who had the ultimate authority to get the policy passed. She did a fair amount of lobbying on the issue, and got it passed. Trachtenberg then took credit for it.

More recently, she served as counsel to Kathy Patterson in investigating the abuse of IMF protesters and passers by who were rounded up and illegally arrested for failing to obey a police order that was never given.

Ward 3 has a remarkable wealth of worthy candidates this year, Rees excepted of course. Cheh should be given serious consideration.

Guest Jonathan R. Rees

Bob Summersgill is an embarassment to the GLBT community, he does not speak for the vast majority of GLBT people, he is a radical, a trouble maker, a liar and a the part of the cause, why more and more states are moving to ban same sex marriage.

The GLBT people of America would be better off without Bob Summersgill.

Mary Cheh is a great person and I agree on that issue.

I'll have to agree that Mary Cheh is a wonderful lady and would make an outstanding councilmember.

Back in 1991 at GWU, the gay alumni group, a faculty/staff group, and two student groups were working to get "sexual orientation" added to the university's non-discrimination policy. Frankly, we had hit a wall and could not get past President Trachtenberg who opposed the change.

Professor Cheh, a member of the Faculty Senate, took up our cause and successfully took it through the Senate, and on to the Board of Trustees who had the ultimate authority to get the policy passed. She did a fair amount of lobbying on the issue, and got it passed. Trachtenberg then took credit for it.

More recently, she served as counsel to Kathy Patterson in investigating the abuse of IMF protesters and passers by who were rounded up and illegally arrested for failing to obey a police order that was never given.

Ward 3 has a remarkable wealth of worthy candidates this year, Rees excepted of course. Cheh should be given serious consideration.

Guest Guest

No he's not an embarassment. He's a hardworking intelligent and compassionate guy who's made positive contributions to the city as a whole, not just the Gay community.

Compare that to your spamming, lying and trolling. He's so clearly the better man.

Bob Summersgill is an embarassment to the GLBT community, he does not speak for the vast majority of GLBT people, he is a radical, a trouble maker, a liar and a the part of the cause, why more and more states are moving to ban same sex marriage.

The GLBT people of America would be better off without Bob Summersgill.

Mary Cheh is a great person and I agree on that issue.

Guest Jonathan R. Rees

Only in your eyes as I can find thousands who would disagree!

No he's not an embarassment. He's a hardworking intelligent and compassionate guy who's made positive contributions to the city as a whole, not just the Gay community.

Compare that to your spamming, lying and trolling. He's so clearly the better man.

Guest Jonathan R. Rees

The internet only comes up with matters surround glbt matters as it concerns Bob Summersgill.

There is nothing else on the internet about anything else that he might have done that is positive.

Bob left NM because he was too radical for the glbt people there according to two prominient gay business leaders.

Only in your eyes as I can find thousands who would disagree!

Guest Ramon Rivera

Are you speaking of that one letter to Smoke Free DC?

Thanks, I wanted to see who would surface with that information.

This is how you narrow down who is posting what.

http://jonathanrees.blogspot.com

What of this is in dispute?

By the way, I like the way "Ramon Rivera" is now signing campaign letters on Mr. Rees's behalf.

Guest Guest

No, I am speaking of the contents of the entire blog, since of course almost all of it is Rees in his own words, with links etc. Much of it, of course, predates the 2005 entry into the political race, so there can't be much claim to political rivals falisfying information because they are scared of Rees.

No, it is simply proof of a lonely, sick man crying for attention and getting it from the blogosphere.

So, so sad.

Guest Guest

The internet only comes up with matters surround glbt matters as it concerns Bob Summersgill.

There is nothing else on the internet about anything else that he might have done that is positive.

Bob left NM because he was too radical for the glbt people there according to two prominient gay business leaders.

Whatever, Rees. Can you possibly sound more desperate?

YOUR behavior is the issue, by the way. You're, supposedly, the candidate, remember?

Funny, though, how you feel compelled to sully the good reputations of anyone who dares - gasp!-

to respond to your lies with facts.

It's like watching a toddler caught in front of a broken window, while holding a baseball bat.

"I know how it looks, but, um, didn't do it! "

Perhaps more interesting, the letter to Smokefree DC isn't on http://jonathanrees.blogspot.com/

I've never hidden the fact that I am on the Smokefree DC steering committee. I worked on getting the law passed, lobbied, testified, went to way too many meetings, and finally got a bill passed 12-1. (Ok, ok, the final vote was 11-1 but Sharon Ambrose supported the bill and voted for it on first reading). I'm still on friendly terms with Carol Schwartz who fought the bill to the end.

Rees, on the other hand, posted a few nasty comments against the bill until it looked like it would pass, then claimed to support it. I'll add his comments on that issue to the blog sometime soon.

-Bob

Guest Ramon Rivera

I think some of you fear Rees so much that you feel compelled to post what you do.

If Rees was no threat or had a chance of winning, nobody would say a word.

My team supports Rees, Bolden and Gray and are responsible for all that stuff out there you see by them.

Whatever, Rees. Can you possibly sound more desperate?

YOUR behavior is the issue, by the way. You're, supposedly, the candidate, remember?

Funny, though, how you feel compelled to sully the good reputations of anyone who dares - gasp!-

to respond to your lies with facts.

It's like watching a toddler caught in front of a broken window, while holding a baseball bat.

"I know how it looks, but, um, didn't do it! "

Guest Ramon Rivera

I do not want my tax dollars going to treat gays who contract HIV just like the anti-smokers to do want to pay for smokers who get sick due to their own doing.

I think some of you fear Rees so much that you feel compelled to post what you do.

My team supports Rees, Bolden and Gray and are responsible for all that stuff out there you see by them.

Guest Guest

I do not want my tax dollars going to treat gays who contract HIV just like the anti-smokers to do want to pay for smokers who get sick due to their own doing.

Let's be clear. No one fears Rees winning. He's no threat in that regard.

We just despise his campaign and his online behavior. He's a threat in that sense: to common decency to the reputation's of good people, and to the sane and safe functioning of the blogosphere.

Your logic, as usual, is specious.

Guest Guest

(Sorry..my comment above was in reference to this idiot post:)

Guest Ramon Rivera

If you fear that some has no chance of winning, then you do not waste your time saying anything about her or him.

You only speak up when you fear someone and that is as logical as anyone can be.

Just as much as others might find what you stand for revolting, you are entitled to find what you want in others.

My agenda is to defeat Kathy Patterson and Phil Mendelson. All else is secondary and I think we will be saying goodbye to Patterson and Mendelson.

(Sorry..my comment above was in reference to this idiot post:)

Guest Guest

I think you fear the truth. There is not much that comes from your pea-brain that is of the truth, and you certainly have no moral character.

If I were Grey or Boldin, I would not want your help, for fear of receiving the "Skinner" treatment that Fenty received. You are worse than Skinner, you sick pup.

If you fear that some has no chance of winning, then you do not waste your time saying anything about her or him.

You only speak up when you fear someone and that is as logical as anyone can be.

Just as much as others might find what you stand for revolting, you are entitled to find what you want in others.

My agenda is to defeat Kathy Patterson and Phil Mendelson. All else is secondary and I think we will be saying goodbye to Patterson and Mendelson.

Guest Ramon Rivera

Whose truth?

I think you fear the truth. There is not much that comes from your pea-brain that is of the truth, and you certainly have no moral character.

If I were Grey or Boldin, I would not want your help, for fear of receiving the "Skinner" treatment that Fenty received. You are worse than Skinner, you sick pup.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.