Washington DC Message Boards

UK Parent asking for help.

kelboy

Hi all,

My name is Kevin, I am 47 years old living in a seaside town on the NorthEast coast of England.

I am writing this message to see if anyone would be willing to help me assist my son in finding accommodation.

My wife and I have 2 children, Daniel (22) and Jennifer (20)

Daniel left home 3 years ago to set up home with his partner Donna, they currently live 50 miles away in rented accommodation.God blessed them with a beautiful daughter and us a beautiful grandaughter( Regan May) 6 months 2 weeks ago.

On 23rd December 2005 my sons landlord informed him that he was selling the house and they would have to move out by 01 March 2006. On 26th December 2005 the boiler in their home burst/broke causing extensive damage to the hall/carpets/etc leaving them with no heating and no hot water. The landlord has assured them it will be repaired but has not set a time limit.

So they have farmed themselves out to family and friends wherever possible, but it has been hard on Daniel he has had to stay due to his work commitments. He works for a local branch of McDonalds as a shift manager normally having to work 60 - 70 hours per week to make a semblance of a wage. Because of this he works early morning to early morning most days and does not get much time to spend with Regan May.He's currently getting himself very depressed as he also has to try and find somewhere else to live.Rented accommodation is very scarce in his location, and there is no way he can afford to buy outright , most property is around £150,000 ($238,000) dollars.

My wife and I help as much as we are able but even that is not enough at times.

They are on a local housing list but it could be several months before anything becomes available.

Even his sister Jennifer helps out by sparing as much of her money as she can, this she does without hesitation even though she and a friend are trying to save (2 years so far) for a vacation to L.A.

As a parent it breaks my heart to see my children suffer knowing I cannot do as much as I would like too.

So I thought I would try to see if I could raise some money for them by asking for small donations to assist in them raising enough monies for a deposit on a home.

My son would be horrified to know I'm doing this, as like me, he is very proud and would try and do everything himself, but it's just not possible.

I appreciate the rudeness of asking for this help, but I honestly cannot think of anything else.

If rather than a monetry donation people would be willing to donate any clothing/toys that they no longer require that would be most appreciated also.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to re-emburse any postal charges but if you give me your e-mail or postal address I will gaurentee to write to every individual.

My postal address is as follows.

Kevin Laing

53 Tees Road

Redcar

Cleveland

TS10 1QD

United Kingdom

Please accept my gratitude for reading this message, and if nothing comes from it at least I have gotten it off my chest.

KevL.