Washington DC Message Boards

Old Black Betty

Guest Guest

Hello and God bless you. I'm a civilian here in S. Korea-Seoul. I have written to the station, www.AFNKorea to ask them why they play such a racist song on there TV commercials only to have fallen on death ears. Now the one problem I have is why do'nt the Military who are stationed here demand that song not to be played. Since everyone seems to be sleepwalking here I come to you in hopes that you will bring this to there attention thus having them pull that song off the air. Old Black Betty by ZZ Top, what in the hell year do they think this is? And do you know how many Black soldiers there are here at least 50% or more. I'm 52 yrs old and so glad I grew up in a day where we would protest this type of thing. Can you help this sad situation or an I once again barking up the wrong tree?

Mr. Denby :angry:

there is nothing offensive about this song - it is an old blues & folk song recorded by the American blues great Leadbelly in 1949, and the song (in various forms) dates to long before that.

the version you are likely hearing is, in fact, not by ZZ Top, but by the Australian band Spiderbait who redid the version done by American band Ram Jam in the 1970's. Spiderbait has put a bit of a ZZ Top sound into the song, but ZZ Top has not recorded the song.

it is a good thing that the old songs are still alive, for the old songs keep the old musicians' legacies alove.

• 2 months later...

Hello and God bless you. I'm a civilian here in S. Korea-Seoul. I have written to the station, www.AFNKorea to ask them why they play such a racist song on there TV commercials only to have fallen on death ears. Now the one problem I have is why do'nt the Military who are stationed here demand that song not to be played. Since everyone seems to be sleepwalking here I come to you in hopes that you will bring this to there attention thus having them pull that song off the air. Old Black Betty by ZZ Top, what in the hell year do they think this is? And do you know how many Black soldiers there are here at least 50% or more. I'm 52 yrs old and so glad I grew up in a day where we would protest this type of thing. Can you help this sad situation or an I once again barking up the wrong tree?

Mr. Denby :angry:

You are so right, you have no idea. I am protesting it. Thank you.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.