Washington DC Message Boards

American Dependence On Oil

Guest Casey Aden-Wansbury

Did you know that in August 2005, Bush signed into law an energy bill that lavished $14.5 billion in tax breaks on energy firms, nearly 60 percent of which went to "oil, natural gas, coal, electric utilities and nuclear power." The bill was largely written by a group of representatives from utility companies and the oil, gas, coal and nuclear energy industries convened by Vice President Cheney in 2001. Their recommendations were often incorporated "word for word."

http://www.nrdc.org/air/energy/taskforce/tfinx.asp

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Dissident Voice

Here is the sentence in The Age of Turbulence, the 531-page memoir of former Federal Reserve chief Alan Greenspan, that caused so much turbulence in Washington last week: “I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil.”

• 2 months later...
Guest The White House

President Bush Signs H.R. 6, the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007

I firmly believe this country needs to have a comprehensive energy strategy, and I appreciate the members of Congress for understanding that as well. Two years ago I was pleased to stand with members -- many of whom are here -- to sign a bill that was the first major energy security legislation in more than a decade. At the time I recognized that we needed to go even further. And so in my State of the Union I proposed an aggressive plan to reduce oil consumption of gasoline by 20 percent over 10 years.

Today we make a major step with the Energy Independence and Security Act. We make a major step toward reducing our dependence on oil, confronting global climate change, expanding the production of renewable fuels and giving future generations of our country a nation that is stronger, cleaner and more secure.

One of the most serious long-term challenges facing our country is dependence on oil -- especially oil from foreign lands. It's a serious challenge. And members of Congress up here understand the challenge and so do I. Because this dependence harms us economically through high and volatile prices at the gas pump; dependence creates pollution and contributes to greenhouse gas admissions [sic]. It threatens our national security by making us vulnerable to hostile regimes in unstable regions of the world. It makes us vulnerable to terrorists who might attack oil infrastructure.

The legislation I am signing today will address our vulnerabilities and our dependence in two important ways. First, it will increase the supply of alternative fuel sources. Proposed an alternative fuel standard earlier this year. This standard would require fuel producers to include a certain amount of alternative fuels in their products. This standard would create new markets for foreign products used to produce these fuels. This standard would increase our energy security by making us less vulnerable to instability -- to the instability of oil prices on the world market.

The bill I sign today takes a significant step because it will require fuel producers to use at least 36 billion gallons of biofuel in 2022. This is nearly a fivefold increase over current levels. It will help us diversify our energy supplies and reduce our dependence on oil. It's an important part of this legislation, and I thank the members of Congress for your wisdom.

Second, the legislation also -- will also reduce our demand for oil by increasing fuel economy standards. (Applause.) Last January, I called for the first statutory increase in fuel economy standards for automobiles since they were enacted in 1975. The bill I'm about to sign delivers on that request. It specifies a national standard of 35 miles per gallon by 2020, which will increase fuel economy standards by 40 percent and save billions of gallons of fuel. This bill also includes an important reform that I believe is essential to making sure that we realize this strategy. It allows the Department of Transportation to issue what are known as "attribute-based standards," which will assure that increased fuel efficiency does not come at the expense of automobile safety. This is an important part of this bill, and again I thank the members for taking the lead.

The bill also includes revisions to improve energy efficiency in lighting and appliances. It adopts elements of the executive order I signed requiring federal agencies to lead by example in efficiency and renewable energy use.

Taken together, all these measures will help us improve our environment. It is estimated that these initiatives could reduce projected CO2 emissions by billions of metric tons. At the U.N. climate change meeting in Bali last week our nation promised to pursue new, quantifiable actions to reduce carbon emissions. Today we're doing just that. The legislation I'm signing today will lead to some of the largest CO2 emission cuts in our nation's history. (Applause.)

The legislation I'm about to sign should say to the American people that we can find common ground on critical issues. And there's more we can accomplish together. New technologies will bring about a new era of energy. So I appreciate the fact that Congress, in the omnibus spending bill that I'm going to sign later on, recognizes that new technologies will help usher in a better quality of life for our citizens. And so we're going to spend money on new research for alternative feedstocks for ethanol. I mean, we understand the hog growers are getting nervous because the price of corn is up. But we also believe strongly that research will enable us to use wood chips and switchgrass and biomass to be able to develop the ethanol necessary to help us realize the vision outlined in this bill.

I appreciate very much the fact that we're going to fund additional research on new battery technologies to power plug-in hybrids. We're spending money on innovative ways to capture solar power. We're making -- providing incentives for nuclear energy. If we're serious about making sure we grow our economy and deal with greenhouse gases, we have got to expand nuclear power.

It is going to take time to transition to this new era. And we're still going to need hydrocarbons. And I hope the Congress will continue to open access to domestic energy sources -- certain parts of the outer continental shelf in ANWR. And to protect us against disruptions in our oil supply, I ask Congress to double the current capacity of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

With these steps, particularly in the bill I'm about to sign, we're going to help American consumers a lot. We'll help them by diversifying our supplies, which will help lower energy prices. We'll strengthen our security by helping to break our dependence on foreign oil. We'll do our duty to future generations by addressing climate change.

And so I thank the members of Congress. I appreciate the fact that we've worked together, that we can show what's possible in addressing the big issues facing our nation. This is a good bill and I'm pleased to sign it.

• 1 month later...

The only way to become more energy independent is to get it from our own land and drastically decrease the world price, but the Democrats won't allow any drilling or any nuke power.

If just 6,000 square miles of the United States were covered in PV solar panels, we would produce all of the energy required for the entire country.

If the drought increases in dust bowl regions of the United States converting beef ranches to solar farms may be the best option.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David Swanson

This Friday, Feb 22, marks one year since the US managed to pressure the Iraqi cabinet to pass an oil law that the US concocted to allow foreign multinational oil corporations unprecedented and undue control over Iraqi oil for the next 30 years. With international support, and with the Iraq Federation of Oil Unions leading the way, the parliament has so far resisted passing the law. But we need to keep the pressure on!

Workers in Iraq still have no labor law and unions are illegal. The government has used this fact to tell the Oil Workers Union they do not exist and they will not recognize their leadership in the protest against the oil law. Worse, Iraqi union leaders have been killed and threatened with arrest in their fight for labor rights and to keep their oil under their control.

In Iraq, the on-going war and occupation has led to hundreds of thousands of Iraqi deaths, widespread devastation, relentless insecurity and crippling poverty. Foreign oil companies are scrambling to use this opportunity to secure access to massive profits from Iraq’s large untapped oil reserves at the expense of the Iraqi people.

The occupation of Iraq serves to protect these interests while US military bases are built nearby to guard the oil fields. As well, the Bush Administration has tried to push the Iraqi Parliament to pass a law that would give foreign oil companies unprecedented control over Iraq’s oil resources. The Iraqi cabinet, under pressure from the US, passed this law one year ago on February 23, 2007. The Iraqi Parliament has so far resisted pressure to pass this oil law, but the pressure is by no means over.

The U.S. should have no role in pressuring Iraqis to privatize control of their oil while occupying their country. The Iraqi people are held in a military occupation by over 160,000 foreign troops. We support the Iraqis in their call for resisting the oil law and foreign contracts while under occupation!

Guest Hauke Ritz

The energy crises of the 1970s were politically motivated and only led to limited economic recessions. In contrast, the coming energy crisis is geological and thus permanent. The US is threatened more intensely than any other economic region of the world. The simultaneous shortage of oil and gas threatens the US with a possible breakdown of its industrial infrastructure, not only with a recession.

http://www.blaetter.de/artikel.php?pr=261

Gas pump prices are hitting a record high.

Washington (Entire Metro Average)

Current $3.146

Yesterday $3.141

Month Ago $2.955

Year Ago $2.339

Speculators Predict that we will see $4.00 per gallon gas prices in the near future.

The 148th (Ordinary) Meeting of the Conference of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) convened in Vienna, Austria, on 5 March 2008, under the Chairmanship of its President, HE Dr Chakib Khelil, Minister of Energy and Mines of Algeria and Head of its Delegation, and its Alternate President, HE Desidério da Graça Veríssimo e Costa, Minister of Petroleum of Angola and Head of its Delegation.

The Conference warmly welcomed the Minister of Petroleum of the Arab Republic of Egypt, the Assistant Secretary of Energy of Mexico, the Deputy Minister of Oil and Gas of the Sultanate of Oman, the Deputy Minister of Industry and Energy of the Russian Federation, and the Minister of Energy and Mining of Sudan, attending the Meeting as Observers.

The Conference reviewed the Secretary General's report, the report of the Economic Commission Board, the report of the Ministerial Monitoring Sub-Committee — whose Members the Conference once again thanked for their longstanding efforts on OPEC’s behalf — and various administrative matters.

In reviewing the prospects for the oil market, the Conference highlighted the economic slowdown in the USA, which, together with the deepening credit crisis in financial markets, is increasing the downside risks for world economic growth and, consequently, demand for crude oil.

The Conference observed that the market is well-supplied, with current commercial oil stocks standing above their five-year average. The Conference further noted, with concern, that the current price environment does not reflect market fundamentals, as crude oil prices are being strongly influenced by the weakness in the US dollar, rising inflation and significant flow of funds into the commodities market.

In spite of the seasonally low demand in the second quarter, the Conference decided to maintain OPEC production levels, emphasized that increased uncertainty and volatility call for continued market vigilance and reiterated the commitment of Member Countries to market stability and ensuring adequate supplies.

The Conference was briefed by the Head of Delegation of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela on the ongoing legal dispute between ExxonMobil Corporation, on the one hand, and the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and its national oil company, Petroleos de Venezuela SA, on the other.

The Conference expressed its support to the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and Petroleos de Venezuela SA, in the exercise of its sovereign rights over its natural resources, in accordance with international law, a right reiterated by the Algiers, Caracas and Riyadh Summit Declarations of OPEC Heads of State and Government.

The Conference called for resolving any such disputes through good faith and amicable negotiations, and excluding ex parte pre-judgement measures which will make finding fair solutions more difficult.

The Conference welcomed the Yasuni-ITT Initiative presented by Ecuador and expressed its interest and support, considering that this proposal is consistent with the energy and environment-protection objectives established at the Third Summit of OPEC Heads of State and Government which took place in Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, on 17 and 18 November 2007.

The Conference passed Resolutions that will be published on 5 April 2008, after ratification by Member Countries.

The Conference decided that its next Ordinary Meeting will be convened in Vienna, Austria, on Tuesday, 9 September 2008.

The Conference expressed its appreciation to the Government of the Republic of Austria and the authorities of the City of Vienna for their warm hospitality and the excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.

Guest Congressman Duncan Hunter

American workers are the most productive and innovative labor force in the world. Unfortunately, they are asked to compete in an unfair environment against other workers who make only a fraction of a living wage and employed by companies that face few, if any, responsibilities to the environment or the long-term prospects of their employees. In addition, our domestic manufacturers are forced to compete against foreign companies that benefit from their country’s currency and/or regulatory regimes. International trade has the ability to lead to global prosperity, but it cannot come at the expense of the American worker and or their families.

Guest Speaker Nancy Pelosi

Americans are now paying the price for years of a failed energy policy that has resulted in record energy costs, a dangerous dependence on foreign oil, and the rising threat of global warming. The price of a barrel of oil is now four times higher than it was when President Bush took office and more expensive than in 1980.

“The New Direction Congress has begun to break with the failed energy policy of the past by enacting the first increase in fuel economy standards in 32 years, dramatically boosting efficiency standards for buildings, lighting, and appliances, and investing in homegrown biofuels. This year, we again seek to repeal billions of dollars in unnecessary subsidies given to Big Oil at a time of record profits and invest these savings in clean, renewable energy initiatives that will create good-paying green jobs. I am hopeful that the Senate Republicans and the President will work with us to pass this critical legislation to save more than 100,000 jobs in the renewable energy sector, and is vital to creating hundreds of thousands more.

“America needs a clean and sharp break from Bush Administration energy policies that are straining families’ budgets and threatening our planet’s future. The New Direction Congress is providing forward-looking leadership that will fuel America’s energy future, save Americans’ money, create good jobs, improve our national security, and preserve our planet for our children.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pass Gas

Did you know that Ray Irani, the Chief Executive Officer of Occidental Petroleum yearly salary is $320 million. That roughly comes out to be $154,000 per hour.

Guest Friends of Mark Warner

Governor Warner has been a leading advocate for creation of a national energy policy that connects the dots between job creation, national security, and climate change.

Virginia is ideally situated to be a national leader in the development of alternative energy – wind, solar and biomass – and its coal deposits in Southwest provide an opportunity for the Commonwealth to lead in development of “clean coal” technology.

The Governor had an opportunity to speak to leaders of Wise County yesterday about the necessity of finding new energy resources.

The Bristol Herald-Courier reports:

With the current situation, Warner said it presents opportunities, especially for Southwest Virginia.

“I believe in the next 20 to 25 years, the greatest job creation could come from how we create new energy,” the former Virginia governor said.

Energy sources include wind, solar, biomass and a dose of conservation, Warner said.

“It’s also going to take coal to increase our capacity,” he said.

The nation must find ways to cleanly burn coal, he said.

“Southwest Virginia can be a leader in this,” Warner added.

The federal government spent just $2 billion on energy development two years ago, Warner said.

Southwest Virginia could be on the cutting edge of new technology to develop cleaner coal-burning methods, he said. Capturing carbon dioxide emissions at coal-fired electricity generation plants, then burying the gas in the ground would make coal a cleaner fuel, he said. It would also give the region an economic boost by creating new jobs, he added.

A clean energy economy is a win for American jobs. A recent report showed that investment in a clean and efficient economy would "lead to over 3 million new green-collar jobs, stimulate $1.4 trillion in new GDP, add billions in personal income and retail sales, produce $284 billion in net energy savings, all while generating sufficient returns to the U.S. treasury to pay for itself over ten years."

http://www.wecansolveit.org/content/soluti...energy_economy/

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lee Udall

Cheap oil played a crucial role in the development of American power and prosperity, and sustains the military machine that dominates the world today. Oil is now nearing a historic transition that will alter the civilization Americans have come to take for granted. As world oil production reaches its apex and begins its inevitable decline, it will have a radical impact on everyday American life. It will take bold political leadership and awareness on the part of individual citizens to craft a full-scale, creative response.

Guest U.S. Senator John McCain

We need to help everyone who relies on gas to commute or pick up the kids or get to doctors appointments. As President, I promise to pursue a national energy strategy that won't be another grab bag of handouts and a full employment act for lobbyists. It will promote the diversification and conservation of our energy sources, including a robust expansion of nuclear power, that will in sufficient time break the dominance of oil in our transportation sector.

Right now I think we should stop adding to the Strategic Petroleum Reserve. The SPR is intended to offset the impact of physical disruption of oil supplies. But with oil at over $100 a barrel and an adequate supply in the SPR, it is time to suspend purchases. This will lessen worldwide demand for oil, and if the classic laws of supply and demand hold, we should see a welcome decrease in the price of oil. And I ask every American to consider how you can sacrifice a bit for the common good and cut back where you can on your energy use.

• 2 weeks later...

America's 20-million-barrel-a-day oil habit costs our economy $1.4 billion a day, and $500 billion in 2006 alone. Every single hour, we spend $41 million on foreign oil.

Recognizing that transportation accounts for 70 percent of U.S. oil consumption, Hillary Clinton states that she would increase fuel efficiency standards to 55 miles per gallon by 2030, but would help automakers retool their production facilities through $20 billion in "Green Vehicle Bonds."

Barack Obama states he will double fuel economy standards within 18 years. His plan will provide retooling tax credits and loan guarantees for domestic auto plants and parts manufacturers, so that they can build new fuel-efficient cars rather than overseas companies. Obama will also invest in advanced vehicle technology such as advanced lightweight materials and new engines.

John McCain stated that he will suspend the federal gas tax from Memorial Day to Labor day.

Guest Save Your Money
We need to nationalize the oil companies. also the government must stop the speculation in oil futures.

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the price of gas while drinking their $4 cup of Starbucks.

Guest WayneKelsey

The price of gas is so high now because of speculators on Wall Street. They are using events and situations around the world to increase their cash flow while we working class folks are going broke because of it.

Guest human_*

Industry experts are now talking $200.00 for a barrel of oil. I think it's for all of us to push for alternative energies in a VERY BIG WAY.

Nuclear, bio, solar, thermal and whatever else is out there.

It looks like we are going to need a major transportation bill that spells out EXACTLY how we get there, and the sacrifices that we all WILL have to make to get there.

I can honestly say; That this is a nightmare, and we are in the same boat.

On this one? Let's put all of our political differences aside on this one, because none of us can afford this ship sailing all of us strait down the sewer.

Guest I agree

Do you think it is too late? I have been researching biodiesel and I do not think I could make the commitment to going to a fast food company and getting my grease everyday?

How did we not realize what what going to happen? I purchased a truck that I cannot afford to fill. How am I going to go to work. My home is in PA and I commute to Vienna every day.

Guest Darrin

" Ridiculous. The high gas prices are because of the greed of the CEO's of the oil companies for profits and high salaries and perks. I read a study on MSN two years ago that showed the price of gas didn't need to go over $2/gal until the price of oil went over $100/barrel. The obscene profits of the oil companies show this to be true. It has nothing to do with some farm land being used differently. "

Guest human_*

There is a price for everything that we do. Less food= People Starving.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Ridiculous. The high gas prices are because of the greed of the CEO's of the oil companies for profits and high salaries and perks. I read a study on MSN two years ago that showed the price of gas didn't need to go over $2/gal until the price of oil went over $100/barrel. The obscene profits of the oil companies show this to be true. It has nothing to do with some farm land being used differently. "

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.