Washington DC Message Boards

First National Card - Cca Credit Service Division

Guest LAW

Guest JessicaL

I got a card in that mail too. I was trying to do some research online, and this is all I found. Its funny that you can't find their "catalouge" anywhere!

Don't acivate your cards people!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

I just got this card in the mail today. I filed for bankruptcy and thought that this was just a credit card that they were sending out, because after you file, you normally get a lot of cc in the mail.....anyway, I was very close to activating this card and was actually searching for the catalog on the net to see what type of stuff they have....then I came across this site! THANX GUYS! I am most definitly cutting up this card!

Guest Unreal
:angry::angry::angry: I just received this card after applying for a impaired credit auto loan. I knew it was a scam because a friend of mine had just received the same card and he only receives SSI as income. He thought he could buy his granddaughter new furniture. :( He never received a catalog but his bank account was overdrawn for over $600.00. Thankfully his bank, Commerce, understood his plight and reversed the charges but he was charged the initial $398.00. People please beware because the bank had no real way of finding where these charges stem from. Cut up this card immediately. Never give your bank account or personal information to these people. If they would steal from a disabled, elderly man they would steal from anyone.

If you have received this letter please send it to:

CRIMINAL INVESTIGATIONS SERVICE CENTER

ATTN: MAIL FRAUD

222 S. RIVERSIDE PLAZA STE 1250

CHICAGO IL 60606-6100

J,

Thanks for the information. I knew it was a scam and just wanted verification. I filled out the USPS form and reported this fraudulent company.

D.

http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud...udComplaint.htm

Fill out the form and get these jerks PO Box Removed from USPS

Guest benjamin060281@aol.com
:ph34r: I just received this card, It is a bunh of bull, They dont even have a Cataloge to use the 6500 on, They just want you two actavite the card for they can make 200.00 Off you.. Cut the card up adn its in the trash... I also Called the BBB. You should do the same, If you get this card...

Guest Benjamin060281

I got a card in that mail too. I was trying to do some research online, and this is all I found. Its funny that you can't find their "catalouge" anywhere!

Don't acivate your cards people!

Nope no Catalouge, Is a scam

Guest shinka

i also got the letter in the mail saying that i was approved for 6500.00. i was actually so happy. but it came to find out that none of this is true and it is all a scam. i would like to see these people in prison. :angry:

Guest Guest

hello i am in desperate need of help here.

I also got the card in the mail and stupidly enough i called the number to activate it in hopes of speaking with an operator to get more information before deciding wheteher i would use it. I found this site and now it seems this is a big scam. Will i be charged because i called teh number and entered the numbers? I already ripped it up as well as the papers but will i automatically be charged just for calling the number? or onlu if i were to try and use it? if someone can help me with this i would greatly appreciate it. Hopefully they wont be able to screw me just for calling the number.

Did you give out your personal information such as (bank account, social security number, other credit card number)

Guest Marlena

I just received my card in the mail and I thought that was strange because I never requested this. The card and the letter I started reading the letter and I read the part that they would take out the 200.00 out of my checking acct. and i started to laugh because i don't have a checking acct. And that is when I got on the internet and found out that they are just a BIG RIP OFF.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

I've gotten this card twice in the mail. The first time I was suspicious and just cut it up and trashed it. This time I googled it and found multiple websites showing that it's obviously a scam. How do these people get away with this crap? I'de like to know what happened to the people who fell for this.

Guest mike_*

If you go onto the Better Business Bureau website it explains that this company does not belong with them, however they did have quite a write up about them. My 20 year old son received this and was going to activate it but had my wife check in to it. Be sure to shred it all before you just throw it away because if anyone has done a little digging in your garbage or anywhere about you they can activate this card and use it under your name and under your credit history.

i also got taken, thank god i have a credit union. **to perform an anatomical sexual impossibility**in pieces of ***brown trout***. i am gonna come find them and ***brown trout*** down thier throat, and then beat the ***brown trout*** out of thier asses, and then shove that ***brown trout*** down thier throat so that they are eating thier own ***brown trout*** that was made of my ***brown trout*** which they ate

Guest Niecy

I also received the same card for CCA and was totally excited until I went online to check them out and found all that they were telling me was not true. Thankyou so much to all of you who posted stuff about them. I would have been in worse credit way more than I care to be....eSPECIALLY SINCE i AM TRYING VERY HARD TO IMPROVE THAT..

Guest Strangette_*

I'm glad that this thread is still active as I'm looking for up-to-date information about CCS First National Card based in las vegas. This is the 3rd site I've been to reading information about this scam. I got the card just a few hours ago and been researching it because I know it was not a card I applied for, plus so obvious it's a scam. I am scared now because at consumeraffairs.com some people who did NOT activate the card can still get money deducted from their bank accounts!

I don't know how much information this company has on me. I am going to bank tomorrow and hopefully they can do something like block the company from debiting my account?

What I would like to ask all of you guys is, has there been a definitive solution found to cancelling the card? I am afraid what happens even if I cut up the card and taking zero action. I mean, it seems like they might and will keep sending me cards after cards once they see I didn't activate. I am moving soon (within a week) so there might be some mishap in my mail. I don't want this card in the wrong hands! The envelop is screaming "use me use me!" All the credit card stuff I've received in mail by legit companies like Discover and Chase, were all in plain white envelopes with no writing. I now understand for what purpose.

I have no clue what to do because I just got my first card this summer. I am a student so if anyone can guide me please do tell. Is there any legal steps I should take like forwarding this complaint case to better business bureua or the state attourney?

It's scary to know they might have my SSN. When I got my first credit report this summer, I saw their name on it but I had no clue why and didn't care at that time. Now I know why, so mmm, what can I do?

Thanks guys, and hope the rest are finding their way too.

Oh yeah, there is the opt out number I haven't called yet. Does that really work?

I'm afraid to call any numbers on the letters since some have said it activated card immediately with no operator.

This is quite interesting.

Telemarketer of "Credit Services" Agrees to Settle Federal and State Fraud Charges

Consumer Credit Services, Inc. (CCS), based in Las Vegas, Nevada, has agreed to settle charges that it defrauded consumers nationwide through the deceptive telemarketing of credit cards and lines of credit for an up-front fee. The Federal Trade Commission, joined by the State of Nevada as co-plaintiff, charged CCS and its president, Eric A. Peterson, with violating the FTC Act, the Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR), and the Nevada Deceptive Trade Practices Act, by falsely representing that consumers would receive a major credit card or a $2,500 unrestricted line of credit in return for paying CCS an up-front fee ranging from $149.95 to $179.95. The settlement prohibits the defendants from engaging in the alleged deceptive practices, and requires them to pay $5,000 to the State of Nevada to be used for consumer protection initiatives.

According to the complaint detailing the allegations, CCS first contacted consumers by mailing written advertisements that stated, among other things, "You have been APPROVED for a $2,500 unsecured credit line from the Financial Card Division of CCS based on the information we have on file regardless of past credit," and "... your Approved credit line of $2,500 for credit purchases and cash advances will be available once you receive your CashPlus Card just by calling now." The ads contained small pictures of VISA, MasterCard and a CashPlus card on the upper right hand portion.

Consumers responded to the ads by calling the telephone number listed, where they were referred to CCS salespeople. The salespeople continued to represent that the consumer had been approved to receive and would receive a credit card and a $2,500 line of credit regardless of past credit history. Consumers were also informed that they would receive a VISA or MasterCard. Once consumers agreed to purchase CCS’s credit products, they were asked to pay a $149.95 fee, either by having their checking account debited or by charging it to a pre-existing credit card account.

Contrary to defendants' representations, the complaint alleged, consumers only received a package of materials from CCS that disclosed, for the first time, severe limitations on their ability to use the credit products promised. First, the $2,500 line of credit applied only to the use of defendants' "CashPlus" credit card (which was not a general credit card, but could only be used to purchase items from CCS catalogues); second, the cash advance was limited to only $10; third, consumers did not receive a VISA or MasterCard, only a form to request an application for a VISA or MasterCard that they must send to a bank; and fourth, CCS’s CashPlus card could not be used in an ATM machine.

The complaint further alleged that the defendants violated the Telemarketing Sales Rule by:

requesting or receiving an up-front fee to obtain an extension of credit; and

failing to disclose the material fact that CCS' "CashPlus" credit card could not be used as a general credit card.

In addition, the complaint alleged that the defendants violated the Nevada Deceptive Trade Practices Act ("DTPA") by:

failing to disclose a material fact in connection with the sale of services;

failing to register as a "credit services organization" and post a bond;

charging or receiving money before full and complete performance of the services have been completed; and

making affirmative misrepresentations in connection with selling their lines of credit and/or credit card.

Under the settlement, the defendants are prohibited from misrepresenting that consumers would receive:

an unsecured line of credit of any stated amount without restrictions;

cash advances of any stated amount; or

a credit card that is represented to be a general credit card to be used to buy goods or services from numerous merchants.

The settlement also prohibits the defendants from misrepresenting a consumer's ability to obtain an unsecured Visa or MasterCard credit card and from misrepresenting the ability to obtain or provide any credit instruments, such as credit cards, lines of credit and cash advances, regardless of a consumer’s credit history.

In addition, the order prohibits any violations of the TSR and the Nevada DTPA in connection with the telemarketing of any goods, or services, and requires the defendants to comply with Nevada registration and bonding requirements. Again, the settlement also requires the defendants to pay $5,000 to the State of Nevada to be used for consumer education purposes.

Finally the settlement contains recordkeeping provisions to assist the FTC in monitoring the defendants’ compliance.

The FTC and the Nevada Attorney General filed the complaint in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, in Las Vegas, on May 7. The settlement, which required approval by the court, was filed and signed by the judge on June 3. The Commission vote to file the complaint and the settlement was 5-0.

NOTE: The stipulated final judgment is for settlement purposes only and does not constitute an admission by the defendant of a law violation. The settlement has the force of law when signed by the judge.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copies of the complaint and the stipulated final judgment and order for permanent injunction are available from the FTC’s web site at http://www.ftc.gov and also from the FTC’s Consumer Response Center, Room 130, 6th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20580; 202-FTC-HELP (202-382-4357); TDD for the hearing impaired 1-866-653-4261. To find out the latest news as it is announced, call the FTC NewsPhone recording at 202-326-2710.

MEDIA CONTACT:

Howard Shapiro,

Office of Public Affairs

202-326-2176

STAFF CONTACT:

Jeffrey Klurfeld or Jerry Steiner

San Francisco Regional Office

901 Market Street

Suite 570

San Francisco, California 94103

415-356-5270

(Civil Action No.: CV-S-98-00741-DWH (RJJ))

(FTC File No.: 982 3004) (ccs)

Guest Guest

I recieved the card also. I was like wow, I could put a whole car on this card! So I read the letter because of course I think all credit card companies are scams. %9.9-%25.99 APR's and service fees are just not worth it....I read further down about the cash-advances, Intrest and all else that was mentioned here........And then I read the back. That said a one-time fee of $199.00 and then a annual $198.00 fee including a minimum of $300 for monthly fees or %10 of the balance which ever is greater. In my mind I'm like WTH-$300. And what catalog, they might be some boot-leg company outta nevada that shops at the same places that I do, they just go out and buy my item and charge me like 10x the amount they spent.

After it hit me that this a royal-rip, I became envious, "wow, I wish I knew a good scam to get $400+ from at least 3 or 4 people let alone hundreds all over the U.S"

-Writing the Post Master is good, so at least they could remove this address, but unfortanely they look like they know someone with a very good handle on the law, so .......

-Calling the Better Business Bureau will be equally thoughtful, but they won't help with much because if they already said this company is not affiliated with them........

-Calling the Credit reporting companies is very important. Call and put an alert on your soc sec and name.

-I personally would call my bank for advice and then proceed to call my attorney general or even the IRS.

Guest juanita brown

:angry:

Just wanted to say thank you to all the people who placed responces on this site about this cca.

My husband is one of those poeple who believes everything he reads, and wouldn't know a scam if it bit him in the face. I'm glad he wanted me to look over this cca thing first, cause I could see it was a big SCAM from the start. To many things looked funny right from the start. A regular stamp on the envelope???

P>O> Box..., activation fee conflictions?? Checking account withdrawles right away??.. NO WAY..

, But thanks to web sites like this and people coming together to stop fraud, maybr we can help get some of these people out of business.. thanks again to all..

LOL! My Wife got one of thiese in the Mail Today and I told Her to wait till I got Home to activate it. No Catalog, no web site for a Catalog, more double speak than the shiftiest Lawyer!

ANY Credit offer that comes from a friggin generic P.O Box is a bunch of crap! especially a P.O Box from Las Vegas Nevada...

has anybody had any luck getting their money back and how. I just got screwed today

I'm no Banker but I'd say from past experiance You'll need to close Your Bank account and report it to Your Branch manager. Other than that, I don't think there's much You can do, sorry.

Guest Laurie D in Florida

I tried to help a friend who just recieved one of these cards. No bank name, only an automated phone number, no website, no little 'FDIC' stamp. After pages and pages of complaints and never finding them or their 'catalog' I pulled up the BBB. If any of you before or after this email read this, you really should write to Attorney General Bill Lockyer. Here is a quote section in the Better Business Bureaus complaint files (they've worked under several names, FNC/WFS is one and they are listed as 'out of business, 3/03) I am going to copy one of these pages and send it to the BBB along with our complaint. Good luck.

Customers paid FNC / WFS more than $20 million nationwide in fees for the "gold card" at issue in the case. The defendants sent out millions of solicitations telling recipients they were pre-approved for a "gold card" with a $15,000 credit limit, and no interest for the first year. Consumers who accepted the offer and sent in the fee of $37 (or $43 for "rush processing") found out only after paying the fee that the card could not be used in stores.

Unlike "gold cards" issued by other companies, FNC's card could be used only to buy items from FNC's own catalog. Even on the catalog purchases, FNC forced cardholders to pay 25 percent of the price with a check or money order ? and charged previously undisclosed transaction fees. An audit of FNC's records showed the defendants made almost 99% of their income from the membership fees.

No later than March 10 2003, the defendants must provide the Attorney General's Office the identities of consumers who purchased the "gold card," the amount they paid for the card, and the date of the purchase

:angry: I recived this offer in the mail today upon further investagation i relized that not only am I going to be charged $200 for activation but I will also be charged $50 for the so called catalog I just wish I had seen the response from GUEST_JAMES before I shreded it.

• 1 month later...

I recieced a letter in the mail with a card with a 6,500 limit and no intrest charges and telling me I can get 20 to 150 cash with no fee and no catalog to shop from and they tell me that they are going to charge me 200 to activate the card and 2 months later I will be billed 198 for an annual fee. Ok what I see is I will be billed for 400 dollars that I wouldn't pay back becuase I'm not getting anything for my money . So if I could talk to First National card people I would tell them thank you for the toilet paper and the nice plastic book mark and they can stick the rest where the sun don't shine.

• 7 months later...

:ph34r: Im upset, cause i'm worried.

Apparently ccs credit card services based inNevada has done it again.

I've recieved my 6,500 credit limit thought it may have been a good deal til i read the fine print, reviews on the internet. I didn't activate my card thankfully, but according to other complainers that may not matter. Some say money was taken from their account anyways. I'm wondering if they know i bank with wells fargo if they can get my info to retrieve my money anyways.

I've been contacted by them by phone and mail. I've also filed a complaint with the FTC.