DC Message Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Ivygirl

Relocating To Dc

Like a previous person who posted, I am also planning to move to the DC area from Houston. I've visited several times but outside of PG County, I don't know much about the other surrounding areas.

I'd like to know, what's the best areas to live in (that aren't priced like Georgetown)? I'm not opposed to living in VA or MD. Also, I know the government is a huge employer in the area. What other companies are big employers there?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Ivygirl

I love Virginia. I have moved away several times but I always seem to come back. I live in the Shenandoah Valley about 40 miles from Chantilly VA where I work and travel Route 50 East every day. The Shenandoah Valley is beautiful and I feel the city stress peel off of me every day I drive home.

I live close enough to the city to visit any time I want to. I can enjoy the fresher, cooler air of the country every day and view the beautiful blue ridge mountains. My area has a lot to offer anyone who loves the outdoors. I bicycle, hike and camp every chance I get. There is plenty of history in my area.

You mentioned that you are from Houston. It has been several years since I was there, but I remember is was really spread out and the country wasn't too far away. I like the city - but I would never want to live in one.

Advantages also include cheaper housing for rent or purchase. Some people see commuting as a disadvantage - but I find driving to be relaxing in the evenings when I'm on my way home. I drive thru several very small nice towns. One of them is Middleburg which is well known for its wealthy americans.

I also live within a couple miles of the Shenandoah River and many people enjoy canoing, kyacking and tubing down the river - not to mention the fishing.

One of our local newspapers is the Winchester Star. Go to www.winchesterstar.com and check out the website. It may give you an idea of the type of area I live in.

We are almost at 0 unemployment in our area so there is a lot of work here depending on what you are interested in doing. We also have a lot of universities in the area, which are always willing to help someone get a degree while working.

I work for Quest Diagnostics in Chantilly and we have a lot of jobs open right now. Quest Diagnostics is a great place to work with a lot of nice benefits. We are growing our business and there is a lot of room for advancement as well as transfers available should someone want to move to another location. We have had several employees transfer. We get annual Goal Sharing checks, Good vacation (they roll sick leave into our vacation which actually gives us more vacation than normal. We also have great LTD, STD, Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance. We have the option for Pet Insurance, Legal Insurance etc... All Laboratory work performed at our lab is free to employees. There are more benefits too. You should check us out and give consideration to Virginia as a possible place to settle down.

Guest Kris

Montgomery County is a great area to live in with excellent schools. Here's a link to a house in a great area that is in the market. It is walking distance from Shady Groce Metro station. If you don't feel like walking, there are busses that will take you. Or, you can drive your car. http://mrislistings.mris.com/Matrix/Public/Portal.aspx?k=4060176XB31S&p=DE-244523731-309

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this