Washington DC Message Boards

Explosions In London Transit System

Natalia1974

Mayor Anthony A. Williams issued the following statement regarding the situation in Washington, DC following the explosions on London public transit:

“On behalf of the citizens of Washington, DC, I send heartfelt condolences to the victims of the explosions in London’s public transit system. As Americans, we understand how they are feeling at this time of terrible tragedy and uncertainty. This heinous attack on the people of London is an attack on people everywhere.

I have spoken with the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff, and I have communicated with my regional counterparts. The lines of communication among federal, local and regional officials are open and working.

Although there is no specific intelligence indicating an attack is planned on our city, our public safety agencies are on heightened alert, and officials are coordinating with Metro Transit Police, US Capitol Police and other public safety entities in the area.

We ask that citizens keep their eyes and ears open to any suspicious activity as they go about their daily lives today. Should people note anything suspicious, we ask that they call the Metropolitan Police Department at (202) 727-9099.

Let me emphasize that people need to go about their regular, planned activities today. If we cease our activities, we let the terrorists win in this attack on our freedom.”

Guest WMATA

Metro officials are increasing security at Metrorail stations, on trains and in Metrobuses as a result of today's incidents in London. For more complete preparedness information visit our emergency preparedness page.

"We are taking precautionary measures to assure our customers that we are doing everything thta we can to make sure that they can use our system without incident," said Metro Transit Police Chief Polly Hanson. "Our customers are likely to see our special response teams of officers carrying additional weaponry with a canine accompanying them. We also are asking our customers to be an extension of our eyes and ears, and let us know if they see anything unusual."

Metro Transit Police have deployed the special response teams and explosive detection canine teams to conduct sweeps of Metrorail stations and trains and buses. Metrorail station restrooms have been temporarily closed for security reasons.

"The presence of our special response teams and explosive detection canine teams does not indicate any specific, impending danger," Chief Hanson explained. "These are precautionary measures intended to add another layer of security protection."

Transit police officers and other Metro employees will be wearing their bright florescent visibility vets so that customers who notice anything unusual can quickly spot and alert a police officer. More officers, both Transit police and local police, will be on patrol starting today.

Metro Transit Police receive regular updates from the FBI Terrorism Task Force and the region's chiefs of police.

Metro officials have increased the frequency of announcements on trains and in rail stations to inform customers of the increased police presence, asking customers to keep an eye open for suspicious activity and to remind customers to take their packages with them.

"We are also taking some additional security measures that are not visible to our customers and are designed to be that way," she said. "Vigilance is more important than ever. We continue to ask our customers to help us." Metro has an ongoing dialog with its customers, and officials ask that the customers continue with that partnership.

Metro customers should be aware of suspicious people or unusual activity, unattended items, and smoke or odd smells. If customers see someone leave a package, they are asked to politely bring it to their attention. If someone sees suspicious behavior, find an unattended package or witness something unusual, stay away from it and tell the bus operator, train operator, police officer or station manager immediately. Transit Police can be contacted at 202-962-2121.

"Metrorail customers need to make sure they are aware of their surroundings so that if an emergency situation arises, they are prepared for action," Chief Hanson said.

There are several things that Metrorail passengers should be aware of in case of an emergency. Customers should know that there are emergency intercoms inside each rail car at either end of the car. They can be used to report suspicious or unusual activity, or unattended items to the train operator. Customers should know that inside each rail car next to the center doors, there are emergency procedures posted. All passengers should familiarize themselves with these procedures. If a train stops, passengers should listen for the operator's instructions and follow them quickly and calmly. And customers should never block doors from closing because a train can only move if all doors are closed.

While waiting for a train to enter a station, customers should familiarize themselves with all of the entrances to the station in case they have to take a different exit. They should locate the emergency intercoms on specially marked pylons and use them to report suspicious people, unusual activity, or unattended items to the station manager.

Metrobus riders should follow the bus operator's instructions. Emergency exit procedures are listed on windows, ceiling escape hatches and on doors.

Guest The White House

PRESIDENT BUSH: I spent some time recently with the Prime Minister, Tony Blair, and had an opportunity to express our heartfelt condolences to the people of London, people who lost lives. I appreciate Prime Minister Blair's steadfast determination and his strength. He's on his way now to London here from the G8 to speak directly to the people of London. He'll carry a message of solidarity with him.

President George W. Bush delivers a brief statement to the media outside the Gleneagles Hotel in Auchterarder, Scotland Thursday, July 7, 2005, regarding the terrorist attacks in London that occured earlier in the day. White House photo by Eric Draper This morning I have been in contact with our Homeland Security folks. I instructed them to be in touch with local and state officials about the facts of what took place here and in London, and to be extra vigilant, as our folks start heading to work.

The contrast between what we've seen on the TV screens here, what's taken place in London and what's taking place here is incredibly vivid to me. On the one hand, we have people here who are working to alleviate poverty, to help rid the world of the pandemic of AIDS, working on ways to have a clean environment. And on the other hand, you've got people killing innocent people. And the contrast couldn't be clearer between the intentions and the hearts of those of us who care deeply about human rights and human liberty, and those who kill -- those who have got such evil in their heart that they will take the lives of innocent folks.

The war on terror goes on. I was most impressed by the resolve of all the leaders in the room. Their resolve is as strong as my resolve. And that is we will not yield to these people, will not yield to the terrorists. We will find them, we will bring them to justice, and at the same time, we will spread an ideology of hope and compassion that will overwhelm their ideology of hate.

Guest Dept. of Homeland Security

We have been closely monitoring the bombings in London. Our sympathies and condolences go to the victims of this incident and the people of London.

We have been in direct communication with officials at the state and local level and with public and private sector transportation officials. We have asked them for increased vigilance and additional security measures for major transit systems.

The Department of Homeland Security has stood up the Interagency Incident Management Group to ensure full situational awareness around this incident and in the United States. We do not have any specific intelligence indicating this type of attack is planned in the United States, but we are constantly evaluating both intelligence and our protective measures and will take whatever actions are necessary.

We will continue to work closely with British officials as they investigate this incident.

Guest TrueBrit

I am proud of how America is standing by my country Here is the latest news:

At 08.51 on 7 July at Liverpool Street Station there was a confirmed explosion in a carriage 100 yards into the (Liverpool Street-bound station) tunnel.

At 08.56 there was another incident at King’s Cross / Russell Square. Both stations were used to bring out casualties.

Walking wounded came up from the line at King’s Cross. There were seven confirmed fatalities, 10 seriously injured people and 100 walking wounded in this incident.

All those who were injured have now been treated, and at 12.30 the London Ambulance Service withdrew from Russell Square.

Two mortuaries are being set up - these are at the Royal National Hotel and the Holiday Inn in Bloomsbury.

There are 21 confirmed fatalities and others with injuries from these two incidents.

At 09.17 there was an explosion on a train coming into Edgware Road underground station approximately 100 yards into the tunnel. The explosion took place on a train and blew through a wall onto another train on an adjoining platform. There were five fatalities and others injured in this incident.

Three trains are believed to have been involved.

At 09.47 there was an explosion on a bus at Upper Woburn Square junction with Tavistock Place. There are fatalities on the bus but it is not known how many. We estimate many casualties.

There were four devices in total and there are 33 confirmed fatalities. There was no warning to police and we have not received any claims of responsibility.

These were callous attacks on innocent members of the public deliberately designed to kill and inflict maximum injury.

Guest TrueBrit

Tony Blair has spoken about this morning's explosions on buses and Tubes in the capital

Speaking from the G8 summit in Gleneagles, he said his thoughts were with the victims and families of those involved in the 'barbaric events.'

He said:

"It is important that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire to impose extremism on the world."

There have so far been six confirmed incidents in different parts of London.

The PM will fly back to London soon before returning to the summit later today. He and the other leaders have agreed to carry on today's meetings without him.

Later the PM read a statement on behalf of the G8 leaders and the five invited emerging economy countries.

They said the 'utterly condemned the barbaric' incidents which were 'an attack on civilised peole everywhere' and sent their condolenses to the victims and their families.

The statement said all of their countries had suffered from terrorism and they were united in their resolve to fight it, pledging that 'terrorism would not succeed.'

Home Secretary Charles Clarke has made a statement to MPs. He said that the Underground would remain closed for the rest of the day.

The Prime Minister's statement in full

"I am just going to make a short statement to you on the terrible events that have happened in London earlier today, and I hope you understand that at the present time we are still trying to establish exactly what has happened, and there is a limit to what information I can give you, and I will simply try and tell you the information as best I can at the moment.

"It is reasonably clear that there have been a series of terrorist attacks in London. There are obviously casualties, both people that have died and people seriously injured, and our thoughts and prayers of course are with the victims and their families.

"It is my intention to leave the G8 within the next couple of hours and go down to London and get a report, face-to-face, with the police, and the emergency services and the Ministers that have been dealing with this, and then to return later this evening.

"It is the will of all the leaders at the G8 however that the meeting should continue in my absence, that we should continue to discuss the issues that we were going to discuss, and reach the conclusions which we were going to reach. Each of the countries round that table have some experience of the effects of terrorism and all the leaders, as they will indicate a little bit later, share our complete resolution to defeat this terrorism.

"It is particularly barbaric that this has happened on a day when people are meeting to try to help the problems of poverty in Africa, and the long term problems of climate change and the environment. Just as it is reasonably clear that this is a terrorist attack, or a series of terrorist attacks, it is also reasonably clear that it is designed and aimed to coincide with the opening of the G8. There will be time to talk later about this.

"It is important however that those engaged in terrorism realise that our determination to defend our values and our way of life is greater than their determination to cause death and destruction to innocent people in a desire to impose extremism on the world. Whatever they do, it is our determination that they will never succeed in destroying what we hold dear in this country and in other civilised nations throughout the world."

Guest Buckingham Palace

Message from The Queen following bomb blasts in London, 7 July 2005

The dreadful events in London this morning have deeply shocked us all. I know I speak for the whole nation in expressing my sympathy to all those affected and the relatives of the killed and injured. I have nothing but admiration for the emergency services as they go about their work.

ELIZABETH R

Guest Im interested

Im honestly interested in what Britains long term reaction will be to this terrorist attack. Now maybe some people who oppose the war in Britain will have some idea on how americans felt after Sept 11.

This is a tragic event and I hope this enforces Britains help in the war on terror. My condolences go out to Britain and the families effected by this horrible act.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.