DC Message Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Westminster

1990 Honda Accord Won't Start

Guest Keith ASE master tech

I have read all these problems, and none really apply to me. When I turn the key, NOTHING happens. It doesn't click, it doesn't do anything. It's a standard, so I can push start it. It's a 91 honda accord 2.2 litre. It runs fine when I push start it. I thought maybe it was the starter/cylanoid but I have replaced the starter 3 times, and it didn't fix it. I was hoping it would be something witht he relay, or possibly ignition coil. I've had it looked at, but it was by a co-workers brother who is a mechanic, but not electrical. And I don't know anything about electrical problems. If someone could let me know something, any possible ideas. I would appreciate it.

Could be the starter relay under the driver side dash. If not the ignition switch is bad. Instead of replacing the starter again, Get a test light, put it on the small wire that connects to the starter, get someone else to try to crank the car. the light should light up when the ignition is in the start position. If not then it is definatly either the starter relay or the ignition switch.

Guest James

Here is something to think about, i am having the same problem as everyone else here, in my 94 EX 4door, and when the problem happens, if i keep the key in START position, it stays started. FRUSTRATING. Is this the same for the rest of you?

I am having this problem!!! Did you find out what it was???

Guest mark

I have 1990 accord manual it was starting fine then I drive to the store and turned it off when I go back to start it it won't start only if I push start it.

Guest mike

its as if the flywheel wont turn!!!,,, does anyone have any idea why the flywheel wont turn,,, if u have any tips or any info at all, email me at samsonite2k3@yahoo.com thank you :)>-

pull sparkplugs check for coolant in cylinders

Guest sugar

I have a 91 accord. Last year after replacing the fuel pump and the car still wouldn't start. I did some research and found that the main relay is a common problem in this year and others. When its hot outside the relay gets warm and won't allow the car to start. I replaced the relay for around $70 bucks. Way cheaper then the $600 fuel pump I didn't need. Its a real simple install. Just a tight squeeze to get to. Its located up under the dash just below the steering wheel to the left just a bit. Hope this helps someone and saves them a few bucks!

Guest frogman

Same problems. 1990 accord lx. Turns over but WONT START. Its getting fuel to the injectors, because I can smell it under the hood after I tried starting it for a bit. But it just seems its not getting spark. I just spoiled her with starter, alternator, battery, battery cables, timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, main relay, spark plugs, plug wires, dist cap and rotor, ALL BRAND NEW. My last resort is either the ignition coil, ignitor, a new ecu, or inspect every single wire, fuse and relay on the whole car. any suggestions before I go out and spend anymore money than I have already?

Guest MiamiMitch

1990 Accord. Running fine and parked. Next day, cranks but never tries to start. About a year ago same thing happened and it turned out to be the wire plugs that go to the distributor. After hours and hours of trying to figure it out, I unplugged and replugged after inspecting. Fired right up. This time, not so lucky. I pulled a plug wire and getting fire, getting fuel but won't run. My question is, if the relay is bad, what exactly does it do? I would think that it would not allow it to fire?? Also, where is the main relay? Should my next step after relay be the ECU? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Guest john

i have a 1990 honda accord it wont start, theres no fuel, no power in the distributor, and the computer isnt turning on. i changed the distributor, the spark plug cables, engine head, and the timing is right. HELP!!!

Guest Ken

I have a 1991 Honda acurd. It was running bad I replaced the spark plugs and wires but now it won't start at all any suggestions

Guest Guest

i have a 1990 accord I have replaced the ecm, the fuel pump and the main relay but my fuel pump still wont kick on iv got power all the way to my fuel gauge but don't know why it stops from there if any one could help I would appreciate it... its a manual if that makes any difference... I don't know if there is another relay under the dash or hood some where that is part of that circuit but I don't know... thanx brandon

Guest Amber

I'm having simular problems. My 90 accord would crank but never start, left it parked a few days and now nothing. If you pull up on one of the plugs above the distributor the car can start but sounds weak. Any ideas???

Guest Bennie

hey I have a 1990 Honda accord lx and its not firing. from time to time it cranks, but only for maybe 30 mins. or so. I replaced the main relay and the fuel pump and spark plugs and I don't know what else I can do. Any tips?

Guest Bennie

hey I have a 1990 Honda accord lx and its not firing. from time to time it cranks, but only for maybe 30 mins. or so. I replaced the main relay and the fuel pump and spark plugs and I don't know what else I can do. Any tips?

would it be something wrong with the ignitor or the coil?

Guest Sandra Pergrina

I meant when the main relay is bad!! And where exactly is it located?(Main Relay)

I have a 1990 Honda Accord with similar problem, I won't start at all!!!! No noise nothing... I have brand new battery, I change the cylinder switch, I change the harness (all the wires the comes out of the switch and finally today I change the main relay and still doesn't want to start, all lights work, signals, radio etc but no other noise or sign of my car wanted to start. Please help

Guest Guest

My 90 accord was driving the pulley came loose causing both belts to falloff replaced Pulley and bolt put both belts back on the car will crank but it won't start somebody help please

Guest Guest

Hi everyone.I have a !991 Honda accord it ran out of gas and it turn over but it want start it is a 5 speed. 16 valve I do not no where to start. Any ideas

Guest Tonia

I put the wrong grade of oil in my 98 Camaro,drove it down the street and turned it off. I tried to start it again and it will not turn over. So, I push started it and it will start but will die right after it starts. What is the problem,please?

Guest Guest

I put the wrong grade of oil in my 98 Camaro,drove it down the street and turned it off. I tried to start it again and it will not turn over. So, I push started it and it will start but will die right after it starts. What is the problem,please?

Guest Jessica

I forgot to put the oil cap on and now my car won't start it does have oil but it was put putting for several miles then stopped as I slowed down HELP

Guest Homer

I've had the same problem as everyone else. I've got a 90 Accord LX and the other day I left my house, it drove two blocks and then died. It hasn't started since. I've replaced the distributor, ignition coil, and spark plugs but I'm still not getting any spark. I'm getting fuel and the battery and ignition switch seem fine. But I live in upstate New York where it's been pretty cold - could this still be the main relay?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this