Washington DC Message Boards

Does the Teaching of Christ conflict with the Teachings of Paul?

Luke_Wilbur

I am finding the teachings of Jesus and Paul conflict.

Here Jesus states that we have no Father except God.

Matthew 23

23:9 And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

Here Paul says he has become our Father in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 4

4:15 For though you may have ten thousand guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers, because I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Here Jesus tells us to keep our keep our good works to ourselves.

Matthew 6

6:1 “Be careful not to display your righteousness merely to be seen by people. Otherwise you have no reward with your Father in heaven.

6:2 Thus whenever you do charitable giving,do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in synagogues and on streets so that people will praise them. I tell you the truth, they have their reward.

6:3 But when you do your giving, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

6:4 so that your gift may be in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you.

Here Paul tells his works to everyone around him and in his gospel message.

1 Corinthians 15

15:1 Now I want to make clear for you, brothers and sisters, the gospel that I preached to you, that you received and on which you stand,

15:2 and by which you are being saved, if you hold firmly to the message I preached to you – unless you believed in vain.

15:3 For I passed on to you as of first importance what I also received – that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures,

15:4 and that he was buried, and that he was raised on the third day according to the scriptures,

15:5 and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.

15:6 Then he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep.

15:7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles.

15:8 Last of all, as though to one born at the wrong time, he appeared to me also.

15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me has not been in vain. In fact, I worked harder than all of them – yet not I, but the grace of God with me.

15:11 Whether then it was I or they, this is the way we preach and this is the way you believed.

2 Corinthians 11

11:5 For I consider myself not at all inferior to those “super-apostles.”

11:6 And even if I am unskilled in speaking, yet I am certainly not so in knowledge. Indeed, we have made this plain to you in everything in every way.

11:7 Or did I commit a sin by humbling myself so that you could be exalted, because I proclaimed the gospel of God to you free of charge?

11:8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them so that I could serve you!

11:9 When I was with you and was in need, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia fully supplied my needs. I kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.

11:10 As the truth of Christ is in me, this boasting of mine will not be stopped in the regions of Achaia.

11:11 Why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do!

11:12 And what I am doing I will continue to do, so that I may eliminate any opportunity for those who want a chance to be regarded as our equals in the things they boast about.

11:13 For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ.

11:14 And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light.

11:15 Therefore it is not surprising his servants also disguise themselves as servants of righteousness, whose end will correspond to their actions.

Here Paul states that loving our neighbor is the most important law.

Galatians 5

5:14 For the whole law can be summed up in a single commandment, namely, “You must love your neighbor as yourself.

Here Jesus states that loving God is the most important law.

Matthew 22

22:34 Now when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees, they assembled together.

22:35 And one of them, an expert in religious law, asked him a question to test him:

22:36 “Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?

22:37 Jesus said to him, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.

22:38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

22:39 The second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

22:40 All the law and the prophets depend on these two commandments.”

Here Jesus states that God's commands must be still followed.

Matthew 5

5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have not come to abolish these things but to fulfill them.

5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest letter or stroke of a letter will pass from the law until everything takes place.

5:19 So anyone who breaks one of the least of these commands and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever obeys them and teaches others to do so will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

5:20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness goes beyond that of the experts in the law and the Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Here Paul states that through faith we no longer need to follow God's command to be circumcised.

Romans 3

3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world may be held accountable to God.

3:20 For no one is declared righteous before him by the works of the law, for through the law comes the knowledge of sin.

3:21 But now apart from the law the righteousness of God (which is attested by the law and the prophets) has been disclosed –

3:22 namely, the righteousness of God through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction,

3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

3:24 But they are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

3:25 God publicly displayed him at his death as the mercy seat accessible through faith. This was to demonstrate his righteousness, because God in his forbearance had passed over the sins previously committed.

3:26 This was also to demonstrate his righteousness in the present time, so that he would be just and the justifier of the one who lives because of Jesus’ faithfulness.

3:27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded! By what principle? Of works? No, but by the principle of faith!

3:28 For we consider that a person is declared righteous by faith apart from the works of the law.

3:29 Or is God the God of the Jews only? Is he not the God of the Gentiles too? Yes, of the Gentiles too!

3:30 Since God is one, he will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.

3:31 Do we then nullify the law through faith? Absolutely not! Instead we uphold the law.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.