DC Message Boards
Luke_Wilbur

Is Google delinking the Internet?

It appears Google now disfavors web directories in their organic ranking. The question in the minds of most SEO companies is whether paid listing (Yahoo, Yelp, etc...) now harm a web site ranking. It is ironic that Google contacted these companies to crawl their web sites when their search engine first started out. But, to be fair there may be more to this than I have found reading.

Here is a sample email of what is now being sent by SEO companies to disconnect web sites.

Dear Webmaster,
Our site has received substantially lower rankings over the last year and a half due to unnatural links pointing to our site. From what we have researched, the only way Google will restore our rankings is through contacting webmasters like yourself and requesting that any unnatural links to our website are removed. We really need your help!

Google has indicated that your site links to ours on the following pages:

Link points to this page on our site

Please remove all links to our site on your domain.

Failure to remove our link(s) from your directory will require us to submit a Disavow Links report with Google. My concern is that if I submit this report with Google disavowing your site, Google may see your site as SPAMMY or not in compliance with their guidelines. Since I dont want you to experience the same agonizing demotion in traffic that I have, I wanted to notify you before I submit the Disavow report.

Your prompt attention to this matter, along with a confirmation that the link has been removed, would be greatly appreciated!

I am sorry this is such a hassle but this is the reality all of us webmasters now find ourselves in.
I appreciate you taking the time to read my request and any link removal effort you can provide.

Here is a question on the Google webmaster forum that gets to the heart of issue.

Does Google penalize websites that are listed on Yahoo directory?

Does the new Panda Penguin penalize web sites listed on Yahoo directory since it is a paid listing.

Google answer is not clear on this issue.

A new tool to disavow links

If youve ever been caught up in linkspam, you may have seen a message in Webmaster Tools about unnatural links pointing to your site. We send you this message when we see evidence of paid links, link exchanges, or other link scheme that violate our quality guidelines. If you get this message, we recommend that you remove from the web as many spammy or low-quality links to your site as possible.

So the question on my mind is whether Google is trying to disconnect the internet, so other companies will now longer be able to compete in their niche.

I have had some time to think about what Google has done.

In such a short time Google has gone from a test site to one of the largest companies in the world. They had a great idea and were innovative. Plus they were able to emulate that Apple PC love everyone had on their product.

Even though I could use Bing or other search engines I am addicted to their product.

My business has their search tools in my web sites.

The problem is that they do not want my web sites to make revenue with their own advertisements.

Here is a good link to forum that I am discussing. I think it may help you understand the dilemna.

Disavowel Tool Scares the "#$^" out of me.

That would be very bad karma.

I have created a specific link to understanding Google's position on directories.

I have asked specifically what is wrong with DCpages.

The only thing I have now is that Google wants web sites to earn ranking by people writing about it.

I have hired an SEO company to help me out with this:

http://moz.com/blog/31-link-building-tactics-discovered-from-competitive-analysis

Old tactics done right

52c5dee20a1dc1.91224848.jpg

The majority of manually built links you likely uncover during a backlink analysis often utilize tactics from yester-year. Things like forum link building, comment spam, directories, and spun articles are evident. After reviewing a few recently, however, I discovered that even the bad tactics can be done right, and here are a few examples:

• Forum links: When placed on authoritative relevant sites they can be valuable. Check out this Adobe Forum that packs a bit of punch from an authoritative standpoint for a competitor of a tech client we were reviewing.
  • Directories: When placed on relevant sites that don't accept any site under the sun, have strict submission guidelines and are authoritative sites directories can still provide valuable. Sites such as BestoftheWeb.com and DMOZ.org are very authoritative, but niche directories exist catering to a specific topic.
  • Foreign link building: Although caution is required, there are still opportunities on foreign language sites that can represent link building opportunities. They must be relevant and authoritative, such as this one on Chinaz.com about web hosting providers.
  • Customer case studies: Although used in the past to be biased reports about your company, many customer case studies have provided worthwhile for competitors we've reviewed. Check out this case study we saw drew in a lot of links for Hostgator.
  • Guest blogging: Sure it's overused today but if you have an opportunity to guest blog on a partner's site or even a competitor do it! This guest post on Rackspace is a good example for a competitor we uncovered.
  • Links pages: Discovering links pages with a lot of on page authority and getting added is one link building tactic still valuable today. Consider this SAE.org links list with huge on page authority, a great opportunity discovered when looking through engineering school competitor's backlinks. Just because there are a bunch of outbound links doesn't automatically disqualify these link types as authoritative.
  • Local associations: Some brands went crazy with building a ton of links on local sites. One tactic that still works today is finding local associations to join. This NFPA.com link was discovered after reviewing competitors of a University client of ours for a juicy link.
  • Bookmarking: Wanted to receive hundreds of links for low cost in 2008? Bookmark links were a big hit, however today aren't the best when done unnaturally. But did you know some sites exist today that allow individuals to create their own bookmarking pages? When you discover bookmarking pages on .gov or .edu sites they can be opportunities. Take for example this bookmarks page on the lbl.gov site we discovered during competitive analysis. This page is a bit irrelevant for the client we were looking for, but is a good example of bookmarking pages that exist today with some on page authority.

hmmm. Now that is a great way to beat your competition. Hire a team to post bad links to their web site.

Looks like this might now be going on.

Hey

Lots of UK banks suffered negative SEO attacks in the last weeks. The Halifax bank's 20% drop in visibility is homemade though.

Read the Halifax Bank Case Study

This case study will expose their poor SEO work, and show why continuous link audits should be an inherent part of risk management - not just for banks.

I look forward to your feedback and as always appreciate you sharing this case study on twitter and facebook.

Best regards,

Christoph C. Cemper

LinkResearchTools

Google is looking at experts in their field, so they will be able to implement their 'conversational search' algorithm.

Links are becoming less important as Google gets better at understanding the natural language of users’ queries. That’s the message we’re getting from Google’s latest Webmaster Help video. It will be a while before links become completely irrelevant, but the signal that Google’s algorithm was basically based upon is going to play less and less of a role as time goes on.

http://www.webpronews.com/google-links-will-become-less-important-2014-05#respond

So not to exchanging links. More on being an expert in your field. One thing Google needs to think about is how people that are not good writers will not longer get top rankings in the search results.

Now through Google disavow tool you can easily remove spammy and low pr backlinks that are point to your website. Through this tool you can easily inform google about the spam url's that are pointing to your site. You can access this tool from your Google webmaster .

But, what about webpages that are good and have an over abundance of web sites linking to them? Look at your post for example. You link to your services. Is that bad or good in your standards? Is that bad or good to Google's standards.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.