Washington DC Message Boards

Pat Robertson Remarks On George Bush

Guest Christian Voter

Guest Christian Voter

I am a dihard Republican and my sons are in both Afganistan and Iraq. While

I agree with Bush's view on the Right to Life, and I do hope Roe vs. Wade gets

upturned, I cannot express my anger at the President on what I am reading

about his decisions to go to war.

I think he needs to make a public statement on this before the election.

If he does not......

I will obstain my vote for him.

Here is the report:

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The founder of the U.S. Christian Coalition said Tuesday he told President George W. Bush before the invasion of Iraq that he should prepare Americans for the likelihood of casualties, but the president told him, "We're not going to have any casualties."

Pat Robertson, an ardent Bush supporter, said he had that conversation with the president in Nashville, Tennessee, before the March 2003 invasion. He described Bush in the meeting as "the most self-assured man I've ever met in my life."

"You remember Mark Twain said, 'He looks like a contented Christian with four aces.' I mean he was just sitting there like, 'I'm on top of the world,' " Robertson said on the CNN show, "Paula Zahn Now."

"And I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, 'Mr. President, you had better prepare the American people for casualties.' "

Robertson said the president then told him, "Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties."

Robertson, the televangelist who sought the Republican presidential nomination in 1988, said he wishes Bush would admit to mistakes made.

"I mean, the Lord told me it was going to be A, a disaster, and B, messy," Robertson said. "I warned him about casualties."

More than 1,100 U.S. troops have died in Iraq and another 8,000 troops have been wounded in the ongoing campaign, with the casualty toll significantly increasing in the last six months as the insurgency there has deepened.

Asked why Bush has refused to admit to mistakes on Iraq, Robertson said, "I don't know this politics game. You know, you can never say you were wrong because the opposition grabs onto it: 'See, he admitted he screwed up.' "

Hi Christian,

Just wait until after the elections. For many American families like yours, the draft has already begun. Active duty troops who have finished their commitments, who were told they would be returning home, are being forced to stay and fight in an increasingly violent war zone.

George Bush keeps saying he won't bring back the draft. But where will he find the troops to fix the mess in Iraq? And where will he find the troops to deal with other, more immediate threats that may arise?

Because George Bush chose to rush to war and stop the United Nations weapons inspections that we now know were successful, America stands virtually alone in Iraq. 90% of the troops, 90% of the costs and 90% of the coalition fatalities are American.

George Bush has left our homeland unprotected. And his plans to move existing forces away from threats like North Korea put our interests and our allies in danger.

This says a lot about Bush's priorities...

When we invaded Iraq, we immediately secured the oil fields, but not the explosives caches or the museum relics of ealiest civilizations.

And we are still hearing different excuses as to why we started this war in the first place. WMD's? 9/11? Because he was a bad guy?

There are a number of bad guys in the world who threaten the U.S. more than Saddam has since Clinton left office!

Where was Bush during the month leading up to 9/11? Vacationing in Texas for a month while a briefing sat on his desk saying that Bin Laden planned to attack the U.S. by highjacking airplanes!

I guess reading this (or any newspaper) is beyond his level, Books like 'My Pet Goat' are more his speed!

GHW Bush (Dubya's dad) secured the support of most of the nations on the planet before he kicked Saddam out of Kuwait, the cost in lives and blood was shared.

In '92, Cheney said, "Capturing Saddam wouldn't be worth additional U.S. casualties or the risk of getting bogged down in the problems of trying to take over and govern Iraq" and "The question in my mind is how many additional American casualties is Saddam worth? And the answer is not very damned many. So I think we got it right, both when we decided to expel him from Kuwait, but also when the president made the decision that we'd achieved our objectives and we were not going to go get bogged down in the problems of trying to take over and govern Iraq." (source: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/192..._cheney29.html)

But Dubya couldn't be bothered to think these things through. He wanted to finish the job and outdo his daddy. And the U.S. is going ever deeper into debt because we are going it alone (but for a token amount of support from the coalition of the bribed) the U.S. is assumeing 90% of the cost in lives and $.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.