Washington DC Message Boards

Occupy Wall Street Protest

Guest We Are The 99%

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greenzen

Academy Award nominee, Mark Ruffalo, views the Wall Street protest as a celebration of Democracy and transcending political ideologies where everyone is heard on how to make a better world. The People want justice for being left out on the streets.

Guest Krantz

Here are two really good maps.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/spotlight/occupywallstreet/2011/10/201110317294664881.html

This one I like better, because you can click on the dots and get information.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/10/occupy-wall-street-protest-map

This one does not seem to be working. Maybe its my browser.

Guest David Swanson

I've been coughing and vomiting, and my head aches from pepper spray. I'll post videos and photos of why at the link above.

We intended to hold signs and sing inside the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, protesting its promotion of unmanned drones, missiles, and bombs, including its sponsorship by and promotion of weapons corporations. We don't have any museums promoting health coverage or education or retirement security.

We had marched from the Freedom Plaza and McPherson Square occupations, taking over the streets of DC. The museum knew we were coming. Some of our group got in and dropped a banner. Hundreds of us did not. Instead, we were greeted at the door with cans of pepper spray.

There were three sets of entrance doors. I was among the first to open the third set of doors. A guard shook a can of pepper spray in front of me and demanded that we back out. But a dozen feet away at the second set of doors, people were staggering out and collapsing in pain, having been pepper sprayed in the face. I started to go toward them, but began coughing and vomiting. A lot of people were effected, directly or -- like me -- indirectly by the pepper spray.

It is not true that we assaulted the police. Nobody was accused of or charged with that. I didn't hear about it until later from the media. A young woman named Thi Le was told she'd be charged with assaulting a police officer after she was pepper sprayed and handcuffed, but they switched the charge to disorderly conduct and released her a few hours later.

It is not true that they only pepper sprayed one person. Many people were pepper sprayed.

It is not true that the crowd dispersed. The guards locked the doors and closed the museum. We had not planned to close the museum but to demonstrate and leave. With the museum closed and one of our own in custody, we held a rally on the steps as more people made their way over from Freedom Plaza to join us. We were there for hours.

We will be here for as long as it takes.

Congress comes back to this town on Tuesday.

We're ready.

We're nonviolent.

We're not scared.

We're not discouraged.

We're not fooled.

We've got demands as clear as a blue sky:

Occupy Wall Street

Occupy K Street

Occupy Everything

And Never Give it Back!

Guest Morbonzi

I find it quite interesting how pure unorganized protests become ordered by outside social forces. We saw a 'Porkulus' Protest get defined by the media as the 'Tea Party' and then get directed by a well organized and funded GOP Tea Party Express. The new Tea Party leaders have signed allegiance to the 'Taxpayer Protection Pledge' that comes down heavily on those that give dissent.

'Occupy Wall Street' has an opportunity to become a broader movement, but it appears their independence is becoming tainted in a similar fashion. Outside forces from the left are slowly inserting leadership and order to the cause, in attempt to transform this movement to their own agenda.

Former Republican Governor running for president, Buddy Roemer believes 'Occupy Wall Street' is an American movement and we should listen.

That now makes two GOP candidates that have sided with the 'Occupy Wall Street' movement.

I am hoping more Republicans are going to show up and give their support to the cause.

I decided to visit Occupy DC this weekend. I found no major standoff between law enforcement and the protestors. In fact, it was the opposite. There was peaceful Americans of ages, creeds, and colors occupying a space.

Everything within the movement is done by unanimous consent. Instead of screaming the group has devised wiggling their fingers up for like, down, for dislike, and twisting side-to-side for indifferent. What I liked hearing is at this point is that the Occupy movement is not taking political sides. What I liked even better is Democrats and Republicans at Freedom Plaza were talking about things in common they have with each other, rather than just barking out differences. What I found shocking was how many senior citizens were there. I think they are half the movement. Many of them flew in or took the train from across the country to show their support.

At this point, Occupy DC can be found in McPherson Square and Freedom Plaza. There are other groups that share similar beliefs as well. The grievances I found most prevalent were corporate greed, bank bailouts, nationalize the Federal Reserve, and bring back our troops back from Iraq and Afghanistan. I thought entitlements, and outsourcing jobs would be big issues, but there was no media or discussions during my visit.

Special thanks for the staff of DCpages helping caption my photos. I think it is important to engage and voice our freedom of speech and assembly in this issue. This is what makes our country great. God Bless America.

DSC04892.jpg

My journey can be view here.

http://www.dcpages.c...-Washington-DC/

Guest We Are The 99%

Here is an informational page for Occupy Richmond, VA. They are affiliates of the Occupy Wall Street movement taking place in New York City.

http://occupyrichmondva.org/

http://www.facebook....276134425745093

https://twitter.com/.../OccupyRichmond

Here is an informational page for Occupy Baltimore, Md. They are affiliates of the Occupy Wall Street movement taking place in New York City.

http://www.occupybmore.org/

Here is an informational page for Occupy West Virginia. They are affiliates of the Occupy Wall Street movement taking place in New York City.

http://www.facebook....255021877866511

http://www.facebook.com/OccupyCharlestonWV

Guest We Are The 99%

Recently, Sean Hannity called the "Occupy Wall Street" protesters "un-American" by saying they "hated liberty."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNtaJmiJ3k

In response, WeAreTheOther99.com interviewed a few Marine vets at Zuccotti Park, formerly called Liberty Plaza Park in Lower Manhattan in New York City.

The Marines stated why they had come to protest and in direct response to Hannity's statement: One said "frak Off" and the other replied: "That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard"

Occupy Wall Street's demands and grievances are numerous and varied, but one general theme is that the coalition believes both public policy and tax law changes in the past 30 years have resulted in a a dysfunctional society. In reality, Occupy America is engaging in the same type of protest phenomenon as the conservative Tea Party faction. I am trying to engage them on fair trade. There will always be consumers looking for the lowest price. Being a dad to a family of 5 (nine including the dog and two cats) I cannot always afford the very best. But, I am trying to better save for things the family needs and wants. I am upset that the value of the dollar is going down the crap hole. I also have another family, which is the people that support my business and other endeavors. These people are ones that I grew up with throughout my life that took a chance on working with me. They have their own welfare to worry about too. Good booze is not cheap ;)

german_beer-19100.jpg

At about 4:08 seconds into this "interview," Ann Coulter just blasts off the reservation, microscopic/myopic brain in tow as she states: ... "mob uprising’s (ed. note: read: “protestors”) are always left wing ... Russian revolution, Vietnam, Chine Venezuela, Cuba, but the founding of America had nothing to do with these other revolutions ... the founding of America was more like the modern day peaceful Tea Partiers."

*Shakes head ruefully."

Here is a transliteration of what she just said:

1) The Founding Fathers were "a left wing mob."

2) The American Revolution was a just a Tea Party-esque, peaceful demonstration of basic human rights that didn't yet exist. (Bill of Rights).

I'll repeat that: Ann Coulter believes the American Revolution was a just a Tea Party-esque, peaceful demonstration REALLY? In her immense brilliance she forgot/ignored this little thing called the AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY WAR in which TWENTY-SEVEN-THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED AMERICANS DIED. How, again, is a war a "peaceful demonstration?"

I've never hit a woman but still I'd smile if a transformer robot falcon-punched her through an oak tree. Just sayin ...

Recently, Sean Hannity called the "Occupy Wall Street" protesters "un-American" by saying they "hated liberty."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQNtaJmiJ3k

In response, WeAreTheOther99.com interviewed a few Marine vets at Zuccotti Park, formerly called Liberty Plaza Park in Lower Manhattan in New York City.

The Marines stated why they had come to protest and in direct response to Hannity's statement: One said "frak Off" and the other replied: "That's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard"

Guest Pissed Off

At about 4:08 seconds into this "interview," Ann Coulter just blasts off the reservation, microscopic/myopic brain in tow as she states: ... "mob uprising’s (ed. note: read: “protestors”) are always left wing ... Russian revolution, Vietnam, Chine Venezuela, Cuba, but the founding of America had nothing to do with these other revolutions ... the founding of America was more like the modern day peaceful Tea Partiers."

*Shakes head ruefully."

Here is a transliteration of what she just said:

1) The Founding Fathers were "a left wing mob."

2) The American Revolution was a just a Tea Party-esque, peaceful demonstration of basic human rights that didn't yet exist. (Bill of Rights).

I'll repeat that: Ann Coulter believes the American Revolution was a just a Tea Party-esque, peaceful demonstration REALLY? In her immense brilliance she forgot/ignored this little thing called the AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY WAR in which TWENTY-SEVEN-THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED AMERICANS DIED. How, again, is a war a "peaceful demonstration?"

I've never hit a woman but still I'd smile if a transformer robot falcon-punched her through an oak tree. Just sayin ...

You truly understand. Did you see what Herman Cain said to the Associated Press during a book signing event Wednesday in St. Petersburg, Fla., Cain said the protesters shouldn't rally against Wall Street bankers or brokers because "they're the ones who create the jobs.

The World according to Hermain Cain believes that you should not be angry at those banks that get billions of taxpayer dollars and practically destroyed the world's economy. The World according to Hermain Cain believes that you should not be angry at the banks that illegally took hundreds of thousands homes and possessions?

Guest We Are The 99%

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6unWohhN0qY

Guy Fawkes (13 April 1570 – 31 January 1606), also known as Guido Fawkes, the name he adopted while fighting for the Spanish in the Low Countries, belonged to a group of provincial English Catholics who planned the failed Gunpowder Plot of 1605.

Fawkes was born and educated in York. His father died when Fawkes was eight years old, after which his mother married a recusant Catholic. Fawkes later converted to Catholicism and left for the continent, where he fought in the Eighty Years' War on the side of Catholic Spain against Protestant Dutch reformers. He travelled to Spain to seek support for a Catholic rebellion in England but was unsuccessful. He later met Thomas Wintour, with whom he returned to England.

Wintour introduced Fawkes to Robert Catesby, who planned to assassinate King James I and restore a Catholic monarch to the throne. The plotters secured the lease to an undercroft beneath the House of Lords, and Fawkes was placed in charge of the gunpowder they stockpiled there. Prompted by the receipt of an anonymous letter, the authorities searched Westminster Palace during the early hours of 5 November, and found Fawkes guarding the explosives. Over the next few days, he was questioned and tortured, and eventually he broke. Immediately before his execution on 31 January, Fawkes jumped from the scaffold where he was to be hanged and broke his neck, thus avoiding the agony of the drawing and quartering that followed.

Fawkes became synonymous with the Gunpowder Plot, which has been commemorated in England since 5 November 1605. His effigy is often burned on a bonfire, commonly accompanied by a firework display.

Press Briefing by Press Secretary Jay Carney

James S. Brady Press Briefing Room

1:30 P.M. EDT

Q Thanks, Jay. The Republicans and Democrats have been making very different comments about those Occupy Wall Street protestors. I mean, given the fact that the American Jobs Act was defeated yesterday in the Senate, does the White House plan to communicate with the protest, enlist them somehow to push forward the elements of the jobs bill?

MR. CARNEY: What the President and others have said in the administration is that we understand the frustration that’s being expressed by the protestors on Wall Street and elsewhere. It reflects the kind of sentiment that is driving the demand that Washington take action on behalf of middle-class Americans.

And it does go specifically to the point of Wall Street in the sense that actions were obviously taken by the previous administration and this one to ensure that the financial sector in this country did not collapse. This President believes that was the right thing to do because it prevented an even more disastrous economic situation in this country. The President also believes very firmly and fought hard for legislation that put in place rules of the road for Wall Street that would ensure that the kind of financial collapse that almost happened in this country could not happen again, and it would ensure that we would not have a situation where taxpayers would have to bail out institutions as they had to in the past.

That legislation passed and was signed into law. And since then, some members of Congress have been actively trying to water it down and others running for high office has been calling for its repeal. We think that’s a terrible idea. We think the American people, when made aware of it, agree with us. It’s a terrible idea. The protections that are put in place through the Wall Street reform measure are designed to give consumers a fighting chance in that arena, to make sure that they’re not subject to abuses by credit card companies and to make sure that the kinds of actions that led or contributed to the recession could not happen again.

It goes right to the fact that Richard Cordray, the President’s nominee for the Consumer Financial Protection Board, is likely going to be held up by Republicans in the Senate, another indication that they don't share the interests of average Americans out there who feel like Wall Street should follow the rules, and the rules are clearly set out in that legislation.

So I think that that speaks to the kind of frustration that you're seeing through these protests. And it's why the President feels so strongly that we have to ensure that the Wall Street reforms he fought so hard to put into place are implemented.

Guest Adnan Ali

In a manner that simulates the so-called Arab spring, hundreds of demonstrators occupy the heart of business district (Wall Street) in New York City, for more than two weeks,

The demonstrations quickly spread to about 150 U.S. cities, and the participation of thousands of activists from trade unions and politicians, students, and demands quickly address the crisis of unemployment and provide medical care for all Americans, and stop the dominance of the wealthy on the economy.

The protesters say: The movement aims to express their resentment of the greed of big business and stop the closure of banks, in reference to the implications of the economic crisis, and the revelations of the huge disparity between rich and poor, which owns U.S. companies a huge amount of money up to two trillion dollars, while sitting 15 million their citizens out of work, while exceeding the number who are classified as poor in the United States more than 40 million people.

Although President Barack Obama tried to hire these protests to win political points against his Republican opponents, saying that the demonstrations represent alarmed the American people, by what he described as the biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression (1929) loaded with responsibility for the greed of the big capitalists and policies of the Republican Party, and the European debt .. But all he did after the big promises to change the bureaucracy when he came to power, is the transfer of hundreds of billions of dollars from the treasury, not to producers, industry and agriculture, but to the banks as a tool for change in America's economy, which proved nettlesome to appear today as a failure within the America and abroad, and not economically, but politically as well.

Observers believe that the protest movement, this is very likely to spread rapidly over the next two weeks, in a manner that recalls the protest movements huge, such as those against the war in Vietnam in the sixties, and that the probability of decline and offset remains, especially if you try some of the forces of political tampering with or sell to their advantage.

http://thawra.alwehd...520111009220548

Adnan,

THe U.S. Embassy Damascus recently put up an article about the Occupy Wall Street protests in the USA -- there is lots of news about it on Syrian television stations.

For sure there is a lot of unhappiness in America about the economic situation. Unemployment is relatively high - nine percent. Housing prices keep falling, hurting more families. There is much debate between the two main American political parties about how to fix the U.S. economy.

We don't know exactly what will happen next. What we do know is:

* the US will have national elections in November 2012 that are not under the control of the American intelligence establishment but rather an independent election authority not controlled by the President or Congress;

* the Occupy Wall Street organizers will be entirely free to run as election candidates or to organize to support candidates;

* Occupy Wall Street groups will not be allowed to destroy public or private property, but they can organize more protests in other cities and they can say whatever they want about the U.S. government without being arrested or shot;

* the police will not shoot thousands of protesters;

* some Occupy Wall Street organizers have been arrested for disturbing public order (blocking traffic) but they won't be tortured, and no family will receive the body of a protester bearing torture marks.

* the international media and NGOs are watching and reporting on the Occupy Wall Street protests without interference from the government;

* the Occupy Wall Street organizers will be free to talk to any American or foreigner who wants to talk to them without fear of arrest;

* the U.S. government may complain that some countries' currency policies are hurting the U.S. economy, but the US government will not tell the world that there is a vague foreign conspiracy for which it lacks any specifics or evidence but that it says is encouraging the Occupy Wall Street or other protest movements.

Something to think about…

Guest ALWAYSRED

I see where Occupy Wall Street is getting their marching flags from.

corpflag2010.jpg

http://www.adbusters...pport_subscribe

Now to see where Donations are going to:

<br>Don’t be alarmed when you end up on nicanet.org this is the method that our sponsor Alliance for Global Justice provided to the NYCGA.

Mail your check or money order to the Alliance for Global Justice.

Please indicate “Occupy wall street” in the memo line.

Alliance for Global Justice

1247 “E” Street, SE

Washington, DC 20003

Or CALL at 202-544-9355 to make a telephone donation.

There seems to a problem of what is happening to the donations.

Earlier today, we asked supporters to call E-Onlinedata to demand

release of tens of thousands of dollars donated for Occupy Wall Street, a

fiscal project of AfGJ.

http://afgj.org/?p=1765#more-1765

Now who owns the domain OccupyWallStreet.com

Registrant:

Kalle Lasn

1243 7th West Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 1B7

Canada

Domain Name: OCCUPYWALLSTREET.ORG

Created on: 09-Jun-11

Expires on: 09-Jun-12

Last Updated on: 27-Jul-11

Administrative Contact:

Lasn, Kalle domains@adbusters.org

1243 7th West Vancouver, British Columbia V6H 1B7 Canada

+1.6047369401

Technical Contact:

Lasn, Kalle domains@adbusters.org

+1.6047369401

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.RACKSPACE.COM

NS2.RACKSPACE.COM

Registrant:

Adbusters Media Foundation

1243 West 7th Avenue

Vancouver, British Columbia V6H1B7

Canada

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)<br>Domain Name: ADBUSTERS.ORG

Created on: 30-Aug-95

Expires on: 29-Aug-12

Last Updated on: 24-Aug-11

Administrative Contact:

Lasn, Kalle domains@adbusters.org<br>Adbusters Media Foundation

1243 West 7th Avenue

Vancouver, British Columbia V6H1B7

Canada

+1.6047369401

Fax -- +1.6047376021

Technical Contact:

Contact, Domain domains@adbusters.org

Adbusters Media Foundation

1243 West 7th Avenue

NA Vancouver, British Columbia V6H1B7

Canada

+1.6047369401 Fax -- +1.6047376021

The question for all, who is Kalle Lasn?

What is Adbusters Magazine (Adbusters.org)

located at:

+1.6047369401

What is Kallie Lasn association with

OCCUPYWALLSTREET.ORG

E-Onlinedata

Alliance for Global Justice (http://afgj.org)

Occupy-WallStreet-Protestor.jpg

#OCCUPYWALLSTREET is a people powered movement for democracy that began in America on September 17 with an encampment in the financial district of New York City. Inspired by the Egyptian Tahrir Square uprising and the Spanish acampadas, we vow to end the monied corruption of our democracy … join us!

http://www.adbusters...ccupywallstreet

The mission of the Alliance for Global Justice to achieve social change and economic justice by helping to build a stronger more unified grassroots movement. We recognize that the concentration of wealth and power is the root cause of oppression requiring us to work together across ideologies, issues and communities. The Alliance nurtures organizations seeking fundamental change in international and national conditions that disempower people, create disparities in access to wealth and power, poison the earth, and plunder its resources.

http://afgj.org/?page_id=1669

The websites -- occupywallst.org and nycga.cc -- and in person to members of what the movement calls its "Finance Working Group."

Here is what the Russian Times is reporting.

Where do these Occupy Wall Street protesters come from? Are they just violent slackers who need to lay blame on others? Or do they really represent the 99 percent of society? How reasonable is it to point the finger at Wall Street? And can they become a new force in politics? CrossTalking with Tony Katz, Kevin Zeese and Jason Del Gandio on October 12.

CT on FB: http://www.facebook.com/crosstalkrulez

At RT we are set to step beyond the boundaries of bare facts and bring you the human side to every story. Broadcasting in English 24/7 in over 100 countries spread over five continents, RT is here to show you how any story can be another story altogether.

Our correspondents in New York and Washington, London and Paris, Delhi and Tel Aviv focus on international headlines whilst giving an innovative angle set to challenge viewers worldwide. RT was the first television station in the world to set up a bureau in Tskhinval, the capital of South Ossetia after the August 2008 conflict.

The channel

Launched in 2005, RT has speedily reached the heights of broadcasting popularity. In 2008 the monthly audience among those who have access or are aware of RT's broadcasts on Time Warner Cable in NYC exceeds the one of BBC America by 11%. The daily audience of RT exceeds that of Deutsche Welle tenfold, within the same network.*

In 2008, RT's average monthly reach in Russia indicated a growth rate of 82% within just six months. Over the same period, the channel's average daily reach grew by 46%.**

In 2007, RT's monthly audience share exceeded that of CNN and Bloomberg TV among NTV-PLUS satellite subscribers in Moscow.***

Apart from regular news updates, RT offers a unique insight into many aspects of Russian history, culture and opinions. Our special projects are specifically tailored to accustom the international audience with the Russian perspective.

http://rt.com/about/corporate-profile/

About

We are a credit card processing company based in Portland, Maine. We specialize in working with online and retail businesses. Process cards online, in person, or over your iPhone. We are changing the face of credit card processing.

Company Overview

e-onlinedata processes credit cards for virtually every size and type of business. By selecting e-onlinedata as your merchant account provider you will receive the most competitive rates and the best customer support in the industry.

Many merchants come to us because they realize that they must accept credit card payments in order to start a viable business, maintain a healthy bottom line, or to...See More

Mission

As early as 1996, in the days when "eCommerce" was practically unheard of, the management team at e-onlinedata was at the forefront of the rapidly growing IP based transactions industry. e-onlinedata has since evolved into a highly advanced, technology-driven merchant account and payment solutions provider. The scope of the industry has changed drastically since then, but one thing remains constant: our professionals are still forward thinkers, seeking out new technologies that will make fast, secure transaction processing more efficient and cost effective.

Our approach has paid off by ensuring e-onlinedata a solid foundation in Internet based credit card processing. Our dedication to stay on the cutting-edge and our commitment to exceptional customer support give us a distinct advantage over other providers. As a result, hundreds of Value Added Resellers and thousands of companies worldwide trust us to find cost-effective, reliable payment solutions for their Internet, mail-order and auction businesses.

Products The e-onlinedata team brings you:

Quick, effective, reliable credit card transaction solutions best suited to your business

1. Non "commissioned" sale professionals whose focus is to help you get your merchant account approved and up and running efficiently

2.Cost-effective, affordable rates and flexible payment options.

Services and products we offer to merchants:

We offer all-encompassing, customized payment processing solutions for Internet, MOTO, Auction, and Retail businesses of all sizes.

Our solutions include:

1. Turn-key Internet payment gateways and virtual terminals

2. Fraud detection services

3. Call center and shopping cart solution support

4. Services for recurring payments

5. Retails terminals at wholesale prices.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.