Washington DC Message Boards

Shark Tale The “cartoon Movie” Is Racist And Viole

Guest BoycottSharktale

Guest BoycottSharktale

I thought we were moving past accepting stereotypes in America. Someone forgot to tell that to DreamWorks and Steven Spielberg.

I can’t believe DreamWorks and Steven Spielberg produced a movie that so blatantly stereotypes Italian Americans as ignorant, racist, murderers, and clearly stereotypes African Americans and Latinos negatively.

I’m glad someone is standing up for what is right. Go to www.boycottsharktale.com . Check it out and take some action!

Guest AJ Brown

Look, I’ve seen these postings all over the internet, calling for a boycott of the new cartoon movie Shark Tale. Upon seeing these postings, I immediately wrote them off and took my daughter to see the movie anyway. After seeing the movie, however, I did notice what these postings were all about. To make up for its lack of substance, the film really did include unnecessary stereotypes of many races and ethnicities and I don’t believe that a kids’ movie is the place for them. Sure, for us, these stereotypes are laughable and are just water off the duck’s back. But, for young impressionable minds, they really crossed the line. Look at several criticisms of the film; you’ll find that a lot of these critics are also noticing the stereotypes and denouncing them as unnecessary. It’s up to you whether or not you take your kids to see this, but keep in mind what folks have been saying.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.