Washington DC Message Boards

Republicans Shut Down FAA and take Vacation

Guest Derek

Guest Derek

I thought the Republicans said they were going to reduce the deficit and help bring jobs. Now the FAA is losing revenue and thousands are without a job and getting unemployment checks. How does that makes sense. If they cared so much about what they are preaching, they would not have done this to all those working families. I think they are about to realize nobody is going to vote for Republicans in 2012. Then America will get something done.

Guest Cardin for Senate

The right-wing fringe of the Republican Party is once again taking hostages to get what they want. This time, their anti-union, extremist agenda is hurting tens of thousands of hardworking Americans.

Because of the House Republicans' refusal to compromise and allow a simple extension of funding for the Federal Aviation Administration, 4,000 FAA employees are going without a paycheck, are at risk of losing their health coverage, and many are being forced to put official job expenses on their personal credit cards. What's more, about 75,000 construction workers are out of work because airport-related projects have been suspended.

Instead of finding a way to put these innocent bystanders back to work, House Republicans flew out of town leaving the FAA and all of these workers in limbo.

I can't comprehend how these politicians can leave Washington while so many public servants are suffering through no fault of their own. It just isn't right. Stand with me in calling on House Republicans to end this needless shutdown.

Click here to stand with me and demand that the House of Representatives reconvene immediately and pass a simple funding extension for the FAA that would put these hardworking Americans back on the job.

The Republicans are so caught up in their "my way or the highway" mentality that they don't even realize the serious consequences of their actions.

Not only are these workers going without paychecks, but taxpayers are losing nearly $30 million each day that this stalemate continues. That's because most airlines are, in effect, collecting ticket taxes, but are not being required to pay it to the government. If Congress doesn't reconvene right now, we'll lose an incredible $1 billion in revenue. I think we can all agree that at a time when our country is experiencing a severe deficit crisis, we can't afford to lose $1 billion.

I've received hundreds of letters and messages from FAA employees who've been affected by this crisis created by the Republicans. One note came from a single mother with a disabled child who said she was struggling to make ends meet. When I read that, I knew my colleagues and I have no choice but to find a solution.

I've cosponsored legislation that would provide back pay for the 4,000 employees who have been furloughed, but that's not enough. We must get all of these people back to work now so they can continue to keep our skies safe.

We can't allow this small radical fringe to dictate how our government works. I hope you'll stand with me today so we can keep our economy moving forward.

Sincerely,

Ben Cardin

Guest Derek

Hey Tea Party,

Stop drinking the koolaid Big Business is giving you.

Nevada Senator Harry Reid today issued the following statement following Senate passage of a short-term reauthorization of the Federal Aviation Administration that will put thousands of Nevadans back to work:

“On Monday 74,000 Americans will go back to work because the Senate passed a bi-partisan compromise to end the partial shutdown of the Federal Aviation Administration. I have received assurances from Secretary LaHood that the rural communities whose economies rely on air service will be protected.

"The hard-working men and women affected by this standoff should never have been furloughed in the first place. They were out of work for two weeks because Republicans were holding their jobs hostage to try and jam through a favor for the CEO of one airline.

"Republicans like Representative John Mica are already threatening to force these 74,000 Americans out of their jobs again when this extension expires on September 16th. With millions of Americans struggling, we cannot afford for Republicans to hold common-sense jobs bills hostage to the Tea Party's ideological agenda. I hope Republicans will come to their senses and put the interests of the middle class ahead of the Tea Party and favors for airline CEOs."

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood on Senate Majority Leader's announcement of an FAA deal:

"This is a tremendous victory for American workers everywhere. From construction workers to our FAA employees, they will have the security of knowing they are going to go back to work and get a paycheck - and that's what we've been fighting for. We have the best aviation system in the world and we intend to keep it that way."

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.