DC Message Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Johnny Knuckles

Remember when ...

Guest Johnny Knuckles

Remember when the two biggest terrorist threats were the PLO and the IRA?

Ah, but I am dating myself...

Guest Frank

Hey remember when there was no cell phones so that when you were out, like of your house, you were OUT.

Sure they're good for emergencies, but people are "too available" nowadays

Guest Jimmy Davis

And there were record stores: Waxie Maxie's, Kemp Mill, Peaches in Rockville and for me, the Holy Grail: Yesterday and Today Records in Sunshine Plaza on Rockville Pike which boasted one million new and used (mostly used) very, VERY hard to find and rare vinyl albums.

Guest Fuzztop

I remember meeting "Kool Disco Dan" at a club off K street. Can't remember the name.

12" Records in DuPont Circle

Guest John A

Oh and The Bayou in Georgetown, located at Wisconsin and K Streets (now called "Water Street."

There is a Facebook page for it with, shockingly, only 1000 members.

A ****LOT**** of big bands played there e.g. Guns and Roses, R.E.M. ... just about anyone you can think of before they made it big throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's (and perhaps as long ago as the 50's).

GDammit I miss that place!!!

:(

Guest HUMAN

Yeah!!! Pay phones are becoming a thing of the past.

http://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/

It's a real government web site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey remember when there was no cell phones so that when you were out, like of your house, you were OUT.

Sure they're good for emergencies, but people are "too available" nowadays

Guest Russell

That is a very good link. I can send it to people that have no money to get a FREE phone.

Guest Michael Thomas Johnson

Remember when your doctors were older that you (and sometimes a LOT older) and now a lot of them are younger than you?

I'm 44 by the way.

Strange days indeed.

MJ

Guest HUMAN

KIDS!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember when your doctors were older that you (and sometimes a LOT older) and now a lot of them are younger than you?

I'm 44 by the way.

Strange days indeed.

MJ

Guest Marjorie Tells Me

When you were not allowed, by law, to purchase a home telephone in the Metro DC area but rather had "lease" one from the AT&T stores located throughout the region? I think that was as late as 1982, but you literally were not allowed to "own" your home telephone and of course there were no cell phones. Every time a home phone broke you had to bring it in to AT&T (formerly Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone aka "C&P Telephone") and they would give you a refurbished one. And you had to pay monthly for your "leased" telephone and WHAT A SCAM THAT WAS!!!

I think "deregulation" did away with that business scam and perhaps we have the legendary Ronald Reagan to thank? I can't remember.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this