DC Message Boards
Guest Please Help Single Mom

Wrongful accusation...Please help

I am at the end of my rope.....and no longer know what to do....I was wrongfully accused of trying trying to steal a large amount of money from an elderly couple. The couple made a false statement to cover up wrongdoing on their own part. The couple has since realized the impact of their false statements and has given me a notarized statement giving a detailed account of the true events and clearing me of any wrongdoing. The couple has also offered to testify in court in my behalf to clear me of any charges if necessary. However, I was told that I should have an attorney and not handle the situation myself and I can't afford to hire an attorney as I am a single mom on a limited budget. Can someone please give me some advice. The couple did try to have the charges dropped but they were told it was now "out of their hands and in the hands of the State". I feel so helpless as these allegations have already caused me so much damage and I am afraid that due to financial restraints I will possibly lose everything as I don't have the funds to defend myself. I am not able to obtain a public defender as this case is not filed in District or Circuit Court but an investigation under the Attorney General, Securities Division. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Guest HUMAN

CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP THIS PERSON?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am at the end of my rope.....and no longer know what to do....I was wrongfully accused of trying trying to steal a large amount of money from an elderly couple. The couple made a false statement to cover up wrongdoing on their own part. The couple has since realized the impact of their false statements and has given me a notarized statement giving a detailed account of the true events and clearing me of any wrongdoing. The couple has also offered to testify in court in my behalf to clear me of any charges if necessary. However, I was told that I should have an attorney and not handle the situation myself and I can't afford to hire an attorney as I am a single mom on a limited budget. Can someone please give me some advice. The couple did try to have the charges dropped but they were told it was now "out of their hands and in the hands of the State". I feel so helpless as these allegations have already caused me so much damage and I am afraid that due to financial restraints I will possibly lose everything as I don't have the funds to defend myself. I am not able to obtain a public defender as this case is not filed in District or Circuit Court but an investigation under the Attorney General, Securities Division. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is the Securities Commission in MD and no prior offenses.

Guest John

Do a Google search for MD lawyers that perhaps will work "pro bono."

I'm sort of at a loss here ...

Maybe a law student from Georgetown U, U of Maryland, GW, AU, etc. could advise you.

There is a person in Potomac that may be able to help you but it's a rather long shot: his name is Marc A. Seigal (sp??).

Other than those options, I would say have the elderly couple show up in court and ask to speak with the judge, or when the judge asks how you plead say "not guilty with a notarized letter I was falsely accused by the accuser" or something like that.

Best of luck

Guest Please help single mom

Dear Athens Musician,

I do not understand your post. How could you say this is a scam...........I am looking for some legal help and I do not understand why you would post a comment like this ???????

Guest HUMAN

Then post your evidence so we ALL know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a well documented internet confidence scam. Ignore this person.

Free Legal Services in the State of Maryland

Legal Aid Bureau

500 E. Lexington Street, Baltimore, MD 21202

410-951-7737

800-458-5340

Works closely with Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service and other local bar affiliated projects by referring low-income clients to the programs as well as making direct referrals to attorneys.

Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service

1 North Charles Street, Suite 222, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-547-6537 or 800-510-0050 (clients) 410-539-6800 (administration)

Connects low-income Marylanders in need of civil legal assistance with pro bono attorneys. Cases handled include family law, foreclosure, guardianship, name change, deed change, landlord/tenant, bankruptcy, tax disputes, consumer issues, and wills. Accepts clients throughout Maryland, but limited service in Allegany, Montgomery and Prince George's Counties.

Small nonprofits serving low-income communities also eligible for free legal assistance.

Women's Law Center

305 W. Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 201, Towson, MD 21204

410-321-8761

Experienced family law attorneys staff the Family Law Hotline to provide free advice and counsel to weekly callers.

Specialized Statewide Programs

Homeless Persons Representation Project

300 Cathedral Street, Suite 204, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-685-6589 or 800-773-4340

Provides legal advice and/or direct representation for homeless individuals and families in shelters and soup kitchens in a variety of civil matters. Also operates a referral program for case representation.

House of Ruth Domestic Violence Legal Clinic

2201 Argonne Drive, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-554-8463

Provides counseling and direct representation to battered spouses in civil protection order proceedings and divorce and child custody cases.

The Lawyers Clearinghouse

190 West Ostend Street, Suite 201, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-837-0755 or 410-837-0756

Works with non-profit organizations that are MANO members on legal issues.

Public Justice Center

500 E. Lexington Street

Baltimore, MD 21202

410-625-9409

Engages in systemic litigation and legislative work to correct abuses and ensure protection of the unrepresented, including victims of domestic violence, the disabled, children and migrant workers.

Other Specialized Programs

Alternative Directions

2505 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-889-5072

Assists families separated due to incarceration deal with domestic relations, housing and other issues. Provides educational seminars in prisons and jails and refers cases to pro bono counsel.

American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland

2219 St. Paul Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-889-8555

Eastern Shore Office - 100 North Liberty Street, Centreville, MD 21617

410-758-1975

Focuses on civil rights and civil liberties of Maryland residents.

Associated Catholic Charities of Baltimore - Immigration Legal Services

430 South Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21231

410-534-8015

Provides counseling and legal representation for low-income persons with immigration-related problems (i.e. deportation, naturalization, green cards, and visas)

Bar Association of Baltimore City Legal Services to the Elderly Program

111 North Calvert Street, Suite 631, Baltimore, MD 21202

410-396-1322

Program staff and volunteer attorneys provide advice and consultation, direct representation and education/outreach services. Volunteers speak to senior groups about legal topics affecting the elderly. Program staff and volunteers handle pro bono, non-fee generating civil cases, involving public benefits and pensions as well as consumer, health care, housing, guardianship and credit-related problems.

Community Law Center

2500 Maryland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-366-0922

Provides general advice and direct representation involving tax issues and incorporation to non-profit organizations in Baltimore. Works with community associations in rebuilding neighborhoods and nuisance and drug abatement suits with a special focus on community economic development.

Civil Justice, Inc.

520 West Fayette Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-0174

A consortium of solo and small firms throughout Maryland. Civil Justice Refers cases to its members in a variety of practice areas including family law, bankruptcy, consumer, tort defense, wills, guardianship, landlord-tenant, real

estate, admiralty, intellectual property, criminal, administrative law, government relations, immigration, special education, small business set-up, predatory lending, environmental, disability rights, employment, personal injury, criminal, and national security.

Civil Justice, Inc. - First Time Home Buyer Project assists first time homebuyers in Baltimore City review various documents involved in the purchase of a home, in an effort to protect them against fraud and

predatory lending.

Health Education Resource Organization (HERO)

1734 Maryland Avenue, 2nd floor, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-685-1180 ext. 261

Assists those infected with HIV virus or AIDS with Social Security and SSI disability appeals and other Social Security issues. Also assist estate-planning, permanency planning for children, debtor/creditor bankruptcy, and domestic and discrimination issues.

Heartly House, Inc.

P.O. Box 857, Frederick, MD 21705-0857

301-662-8800

Serving victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse in Frederick County, Heartly House provides court advocacy and representation for protective and peace order proceedings and divorce and child custody cases. We also offer a 24 hour hotline, crisis shelter, and counseling.

Jewish Legal Services Clinic

5750 Park Heights Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215

410-542-6300 ext. 200 (voice mail)

Provides free brief legal consultation and advice on any non-fee generating legal matter through an evening walk-in clinic. May refer clients to attorneys for further representation. Russian translators available.

Maryland Crime Victims Resource Center

(Formerly Stephanie Roper Foundation)

14750 Main Street 1B, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

301-952-0063 or 1-877-VICTIM-1

Assists Maryland crime victims with protection, compensation, victims' rights, and general advice and support through the criminal justice process.

Maryland Disability Law Center

1800 North Charles Street, Suite 400, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-727-6352

Uses volunteers to represent children in special education cases and in school disciplinary proceedings. Also assists persons with developmental disabilities, mental illness and ADA compliance issues.

Mid-Shore Council on Family Violence

P.O. Box 5, Denton, MD 21629

410-479-1149

Provides assistance to victims of domestic violence, primarily with ex parte protective orders/peace orders. Refers clients to receive legal representation through a panel of reduced fee attorneys.

Saint Ambrose Legal Services

321 East 25th Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-366-8537

Handles cases involving improper predatory refinancing of home loans; fraudulent flipping of homes; home improvement fraud; and land installment agreements contracted fraudulently.

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program

701 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 131, Washington, DC 20004

202-628-8164 or 888-838-7727

For lawyer Recruitment and Training

202-265-8305 ext. 110

Matches low-income veterans who need legal representation before the Court of Veterans Appeals on benefit issues.

YWCA of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County Legal Services

1517 Ritchie Highway, Arnold, MD 21012

Provides counseling and direct representation to battered spouses in civil protection order proceedings and divorce and child custody project. Also places contested custody cases for low-income clients with private attorneys in reduced-fee program.

Local Projects

The following counties operate local bar-affiliated projects or a specialized pro bono program for that county. Most of the projects handle numerous civil legal issues including divorce, bankruptcy, wills, tort defense, debt collection, landlord/tenant, taxes, guardianships, and income maintenance. A number of programs utilize volunteers for pro se assistance and/or staff community clinics that target underrepresented populations.

Allegany Law

110 Green Street. Cumberland, MD 21502

301-722-3390

Direct representation and pro se assistance.

Charles County Volunteer Legal Services Program

c/o Legal Aid Bureau, Inc.

P.O. Box 249, Hughesville, MD 20637

301-932-6661

Direct representation and community education.

Harford County Bar Foundation - Lawyer Referral Service

5 North Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014

410-836-0123 or 410-879-3755 (Legal Aid Bureau)

Direct representation and community outreach.

Montgomery County, Maryland Bar Foundation Pro Bono Program

27 West Jefferson Street, Rockville, MD 20850

301-424-7651

Direct representation; brief advice and counsel at community clinics; and pro se assistance.

Southern Maryland Center for Family Advocacy

P.O. Box 760 Hollywood, MD 20636

301-373-4141

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Guest HUMAN

I'm "sadly" close to Three Decades Online Athens.

I view her post as sincere and honest. <Call it a leap of faith>

Luke;

I WILL open up my e-mails next week and send you an email.

It WILL contain DIRECTIONS on how to get the information that you need to put you in a position

To where if you wish to keep this web site? You can

If you wish to dump it? YOU CAN

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free Legal Services in the State of Maryland

Legal Aid Bureau

500 E. Lexington Street, Baltimore, MD 21202

410-951-7737

800-458-5340

Works closely with Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service and other local bar affiliated projects by referring low-income clients to the programs as well as making direct referrals to attorneys.

Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service

1 North Charles Street, Suite 222, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-547-6537 or 800-510-0050 (clients) 410-539-6800 (administration)

Connects low-income Marylanders in need of civil legal assistance with pro bono attorneys. Cases handled include family law, foreclosure, guardianship, name change, deed change, landlord/tenant, bankruptcy, tax disputes, consumer issues, and wills. Accepts clients throughout Maryland, but limited service in Allegany, Montgomery and Prince George's Counties.

Small nonprofits serving low-income communities also eligible for free legal assistance.

Women's Law Center

305 W. Chesapeake Avenue, Suite 201, Towson, MD 21204

410-321-8761

Experienced family law attorneys staff the Family Law Hotline to provide free advice and counsel to weekly callers.

Specialized Statewide Programs

Homeless Persons Representation Project

300 Cathedral Street, Suite 204, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-685-6589 or 800-773-4340

Provides legal advice and/or direct representation for homeless individuals and families in shelters and soup kitchens in a variety of civil matters. Also operates a referral program for case representation.

House of Ruth Domestic Violence Legal Clinic

2201 Argonne Drive, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-554-8463

Provides counseling and direct representation to battered spouses in civil protection order proceedings and divorce and child custody cases.

The Lawyers Clearinghouse

190 West Ostend Street, Suite 201, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-837-0755 or 410-837-0756

Works with non-profit organizations that are MANO members on legal issues.

Public Justice Center

500 E. Lexington Street

Baltimore, MD 21202

410-625-9409

Engages in systemic litigation and legislative work to correct abuses and ensure protection of the unrepresented, including victims of domestic violence, the disabled, children and migrant workers.

Other Specialized Programs

Alternative Directions

2505 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-889-5072

Assists families separated due to incarceration deal with domestic relations, housing and other issues. Provides educational seminars in prisons and jails and refers cases to pro bono counsel.

American Civil Liberties Union of Maryland

2219 St. Paul Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-889-8555

Eastern Shore Office - 100 North Liberty Street, Centreville, MD 21617

410-758-1975

Focuses on civil rights and civil liberties of Maryland residents.

Associated Catholic Charities of Baltimore - Immigration Legal Services

430 South Broadway, Baltimore, MD 21231

410-534-8015

Provides counseling and legal representation for low-income persons with immigration-related problems (i.e. deportation, naturalization, green cards, and visas)

Bar Association of Baltimore City Legal Services to the Elderly Program

111 North Calvert Street, Suite 631, Baltimore, MD 21202

410-396-1322

Program staff and volunteer attorneys provide advice and consultation, direct representation and education/outreach services. Volunteers speak to senior groups about legal topics affecting the elderly. Program staff and volunteers handle pro bono, non-fee generating civil cases, involving public benefits and pensions as well as consumer, health care, housing, guardianship and credit-related problems.

Community Law Center

2500 Maryland Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-366-0922

Provides general advice and direct representation involving tax issues and incorporation to non-profit organizations in Baltimore. Works with community associations in rebuilding neighborhoods and nuisance and drug abatement suits with a special focus on community economic development.

Civil Justice, Inc.

520 West Fayette Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-706-0174

A consortium of solo and small firms throughout Maryland. Civil Justice Refers cases to its members in a variety of practice areas including family law, bankruptcy, consumer, tort defense, wills, guardianship, landlord-tenant, real

estate, admiralty, intellectual property, criminal, administrative law, government relations, immigration, special education, small business set-up, predatory lending, environmental, disability rights, employment, personal injury, criminal, and national security.

Civil Justice, Inc. - First Time Home Buyer Project assists first time homebuyers in Baltimore City review various documents involved in the purchase of a home, in an effort to protect them against fraud and

predatory lending.

Health Education Resource Organization (HERO)

1734 Maryland Avenue, 2nd floor, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-685-1180 ext. 261

Assists those infected with HIV virus or AIDS with Social Security and SSI disability appeals and other Social Security issues. Also assist estate-planning, permanency planning for children, debtor/creditor bankruptcy, and domestic and discrimination issues.

Heartly House, Inc.

P.O. Box 857, Frederick, MD 21705-0857

301-662-8800

Serving victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse in Frederick County, Heartly House provides court advocacy and representation for protective and peace order proceedings and divorce and child custody cases. We also offer a 24 hour hotline, crisis shelter, and counseling.

Jewish Legal Services Clinic

5750 Park Heights Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21215

410-542-6300 ext. 200 (voice mail)

Provides free brief legal consultation and advice on any non-fee generating legal matter through an evening walk-in clinic. May refer clients to attorneys for further representation. Russian translators available.

Maryland Crime Victims Resource Center

(Formerly Stephanie Roper Foundation)

14750 Main Street 1B, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

301-952-0063 or 1-877-VICTIM-1

Assists Maryland crime victims with protection, compensation, victims' rights, and general advice and support through the criminal justice process.

Maryland Disability Law Center

1800 North Charles Street, Suite 400, Baltimore, MD 21201

410-727-6352

Uses volunteers to represent children in special education cases and in school disciplinary proceedings. Also assists persons with developmental disabilities, mental illness and ADA compliance issues.

Mid-Shore Council on Family Violence

P.O. Box 5, Denton, MD 21629

410-479-1149

Provides assistance to victims of domestic violence, primarily with ex parte protective orders/peace orders. Refers clients to receive legal representation through a panel of reduced fee attorneys.

Saint Ambrose Legal Services

321 East 25th Street, Baltimore, MD 21218

410-366-8537

Handles cases involving improper predatory refinancing of home loans; fraudulent flipping of homes; home improvement fraud; and land installment agreements contracted fraudulently.

The Veterans Consortium Pro Bono Program

701 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 131, Washington, DC 20004

202-628-8164 or 888-838-7727

For lawyer Recruitment and Training

202-265-8305 ext. 110

Matches low-income veterans who need legal representation before the Court of Veterans Appeals on benefit issues.

YWCA of Annapolis and Anne Arundel County Legal Services

1517 Ritchie Highway, Arnold, MD 21012

Provides counseling and direct representation to battered spouses in civil protection order proceedings and divorce and child custody project. Also places contested custody cases for low-income clients with private attorneys in reduced-fee program.

Local Projects

The following counties operate local bar-affiliated projects or a specialized pro bono program for that county. Most of the projects handle numerous civil legal issues including divorce, bankruptcy, wills, tort defense, debt collection, landlord/tenant, taxes, guardianships, and income maintenance. A number of programs utilize volunteers for pro se assistance and/or staff community clinics that target underrepresented populations.

Allegany Law

110 Green Street. Cumberland, MD 21502

301-722-3390

Direct representation and pro se assistance.

Charles County Volunteer Legal Services Program

c/o Legal Aid Bureau, Inc.

P.O. Box 249, Hughesville, MD 20637

301-932-6661

Direct representation and community education.

Harford County Bar Foundation - Lawyer Referral Service

5 North Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014

410-836-0123 or 410-879-3755 (Legal Aid Bureau)

Direct representation and community outreach.

Montgomery County, Maryland Bar Foundation Pro Bono Program

27 West Jefferson Street, Rockville, MD 20850

301-424-7651

Direct representation; brief advice and counsel at community clinics; and pro se assistance.

Southern Maryland Center for Family Advocacy

P.O. Box 760 Hollywood, MD 20636

301-373-4141

Guest Johnny Knuckles

Luke: you gave incredible legal resources for that woman and here's an idea to see if it's a scam: have an administrator look up the IP address of the poster and see if it's based in MD. It wouldn't be proof positive but on the other hand I don't know why Athens Musician would write something like that without basis.

Doesn't make sense; and those are my two sense (sorry.)

Dear Luke,

Thank you so much for the information you posted. I already started to make some phone calls and I will keep you updated on the progress.

I am not certain how this works, but I will be happy to send the evidence to the administrator of this website. I don't feel comfortable posting it on the website, but I have no problem to share it with someone from the website to establish that this is not a scam.

I appreciate everyone who is supportive. It is difficult to read negative posts when you already feel so low and victimized.

Thanks for the support and the helpful info.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.