Washington DC Message Boards

Posers in Georgetown

Guest Luke

Guest 80s Punk Rock in DC

For a long time, you had to be into a certain kind of music to go in there Luke. The crowd most nights at Posers at the West end of Georgetown on M Street, could be determined by the wild Punk Rockers hanging out at the corner doorstep. You better be ready to "Slam Dance" even if you had no intention to. I love the music they choose to play there, and I personal always had a great time there.

punks460.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest tho900

lol I used to live there on the weekends.. man sad to hear it closed... I was going there circa 1984-86ish... no slam dancing when I was there... really cool crowd... I was chilling with a drink one night and here's this guy all decked out in his leather with a mohawk... Monty Python's Flying Circus was on the TV there... we both sat there and laughed at a few scenes, anyway we started talking he tells me how much that movie reflected the socioeconomic upheaval in the UK at the time it came out... ends up he had his masters in international studies.. who knew..

I remember the first time I used the back exit and something felt familiar.. that's when I found out it was the stairs from "The Exorcist" where the priest got pushed down.. I liked the mannequin in the upstairs window... you knew you were there when you saw that from down the street.....

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Dan Cannon

Hello People..... I was Poseurs FIRST DJ! Yes, its me for those of you that remember.. .. I lived on the third floor. I introduced television Monitors to the club. No one had them then and I remember playing bizarre films that needed no dialog, Clockwork Orange...etc...

I'm still alive!

DC

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Lisa B

Hey just found this post Hope ya'll plan to attend the 30 year reunion coming up August 10th... check out the FB page that's where everyone who loved/lived at Poseurs will be... Hope to see ya'll on the 10th

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I remembered hang out with my ex-wife at Poseurs in GTown in mid 80s. It was a fun spot for music & the people. At the end they sometimes threw one off party at Fifth Column on Monday night and called it 'Poseurs Night'. But nothing was like the original joint in Georgetown.

• 3 years later...
Guest Claude

Wow, Poseurs! Nobody has commented on this chain in almost ten years. I was just thinking about Poseurs, how much fun I had there in the late 80's. Anyone else still on here that remembers!!!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My closest girlfriend and I would go there often to experience the cool Poseurs vibe; we really enjoyed the edginess of the club and did our best to dress like Demi in St.Elmo’s… I miss those days, but I’m so glad I have these memories 

• 1 month later...
Guest Richard

I discovered Poseurs in early '85 and went most weekends until the drinking age was raised in Sept '86 and most of the women (Georgetown U and American U - my target domographic) couldn't get in anymore and the place kinda tanked. That year and a half was the best time in my life.  Dancing until closing time in the dark basement and then staggering down the street to the Little Tavern for a Coke and some super greasy french fries before walking home.  Great music, melon ball shooters, disgusting bathrooms, and goth girls galore.  I was 21 and living the dream.  I really miss that place and that time. 

Guest Richard
6 minutes ago, Guest Richard said:

I discovered Poseurs in early '85 and went most weekends until the drinking age was raised in Sept '86 and most of the women (Georgetown U and American U - my target domographic) couldn't get in anymore and the place kinda tanked. That year and a half was the best time in my life.  Dancing until closing time in the dark basement and then staggering down the street to the Little Tavern for a Coke and some super greasy french fries before walking home.  Great music, melon ball shooters, disgusting bathrooms, and goth girls galore.  I was 21 and living the dream.  I really miss that place and that time. 

Oh...and I danced all night one evening with Martha Quinn from MTV who was in town doing MC work for a concert on the mall.  Didn't recognize her in the dark for quite some time.  She was a sweetheart, and a great dancer!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.