DC Message Boards
Guest Through Hiker

RALLY TO RESTORE SANITY - OCTOBER 30, 2010

Guest Through Hiker

Date: Saturday, October 30, 2010

Time: 12 p.m. – 3 p.m. EST, Rain or Shine!

Location: The Rally will take place on the far eastern end of the National Mall between 3rd Street and 7th Street, known as East Seaton Park and Henry Park.

Cost: FREE

This event is open to the public. First come, first served.

Question: Who are the speakers?

Answer: Jon Stewart and special guests.

post-2502-128822017393_thumb.jpg

Matt,

That is really great footage.

I gauge a quarter million people showed up. Mostly college age. Some senior adults. The wave length seemed to be equal to two loops around Fedex stadium.

What was your opinion of the Rally?

What percentage of the participants do you think understood the message?

I am going to post some photos I took as well.

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Matt,

That is really great footage. What was your opinion of the Rally?

What percentage of the participants do you think understood the message?

I am going to post some photos I took as well.

I am think quarter million people. How about you?

Goodness, I think the vast majority of people understood the point of the Rally, which is roughly: moderates are the true silent majority. You've got Keith Oberman calling Stewart naive, and you've got the extreme right blogging about how the media is distorting the size of the crowd and how the crowd was nothing but pot smokers and gays. Thus proving that the rally was indeed for moderates, and that the extreme fringes are indeed the extreme fringes, and the extreme fringes get more coverage on cable news than moderates. On cable TV, screaming heads sell more toothpaste than calm, rational heads, evidently.

That said, I'd estimate that over 90% of the signs were either satire of extremist signs, or were calls for moderation. Of course, there were a few "Legalize Pot" and anti-tea-party signs (the fringe left) and an equal number of "Impeach Obama" and unfair taxation signs (the fringe right).

CBS stated ~215K crowd size. They also showed the exact method they used to determine both the Beck and Stewart/Colbert crowd sizes. No doubt people will argue, but as someone who was actually in the center of the crowd, there were more than "10's of thousands" as the extreme right would have you believe and less than 10 Million as Stewart joked in his opening remarks.

I think 200K is a fair estimate.

Guest PAdemocrat

DCpages has a great image gallery from the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear. The signs are hilarious. Thanks for covering the event so the rest of us who could not make it got to see what the rally was all about.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.