Washington DC Message Boards

RESTORING HONOR RALLY

Guest Tea Party Patriot

Guest Tea Party Patriot

Where is the Restoring Honor event located??

The event stage will be located on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC. Several video screens and sound towers will be placed along the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool and on the grounds of the Washington Monument. Remember that these monuments are located in a National Park and are open to the public as well as attendees of our event. Safety for all is our primary concern so please follow all rules posted and be respectful of all in attendance.

What are the hours of the Rally?

Official hours are 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. on Saturday, August 28, 2010.

Is the event free of charge?

Yes, the event is free of charge. No tickets or pre-registration required with the exception of buses. All buses traveling to the event will need to register (also free of charge). You can register your bus here.

How can I get to the Rally site?

It is recommended that everyone take Metrorail to the event. Car parking is free on Saturdays at all Metrorail stations in the outlying suburbs.

The closest Metro stop to the event is Smithsonian on the Orange and Blue Lines. The walking distance from the Smithsonian Metro Station to the event site is almost one mile

You can also take Metrorail to Foggy Bottom-GWU, Farragut West, Metro Center and Federal Triangle stations, all on the Orange and Blue lines. Metro Center also connects to the Red Line.

To learn more about the Metrorail system or to plan your route check out the WMATA website.

On August 28th, what is the Metrorail schedule?

Metrorail will operate on a regular Saturday schedule, 7:00 AM – 3:00 AM (on Sunday morning). Please visit www.wmata.com for detailed information. Entrances to the Smithsonian Metro Station close at 10:00 PM.

Where can our Bus Park? Can buses drop us off close to the event site?

Buses will not be permitted to drop anywhere near the Lincoln Memorial. Buses can drop at Union Station or at RFK Stadium and attendees can take the Metro from there.

Bus parking is available at RFK Stadium for groups. RFK Stadium is adjacent to the Stadium Armory Metro Rail station on the Orange & Blue Rail lines. Walking distance from the bus parking area to this Metro is approximately 0.7 miles. The RFK Stadium Armory station connects to the Smithsonian Metro Rail Station, approximately 1 mile from the Lincoln Memorial event site.

What if I want to drive to the event?

We do not recommend that you bring your car into DC for this event. Parking at or near the Rally site will be EXTREMELY limited and traffic will be restricted and backed up due to walking participants. If you must drive, double your expected travel time to arrive into DC. The closest parking garages are about a one-mile walk from the event site and could cost up to $25 for the day. Check Saturday closing times on all garages. Remember, street parking meters operate on Saturdays.

Will a taxi drop me off close enough to the rally?

Taxis will be very hard to find because of the volume of people coming into the city for this event. Taxis will be allowed to drop only as close as the police grant vehicle access to the site, and that is unknown at this time. You might have to walk a distance so be prepared.

We're coming with a motorcycle club. Where can we park?

Motorcycles are able to park in any legal parking space along the Mall or in downtown DC but are subject to the same rules and meter regulations as cars. Parking is extremely scarce around the Mall.

I'm riding my bicycle to the rally. Will there be bike racks?

Visit the National Park Service’s website for more information.

What considerations are being made for persons with disabilities?

All metro stations are ADA accessible. The National Mall and the event site are accessible to wheelchairs. We will offer an ADA shuttle departing from RFK Stadium and dropping on Independence Avenue at the DC War Memorial, close to the Lincoln Memorial. The shuttle is offered for the handicapped or elderly plus ONE accompanying person. Please respect this rule.

Buses are not permitted to drop off people at the Rally site. The closest drop-off points are Union Station and RFK Stadium. If you travel from RFK stadium you can take the Metro, which is ADA accessible, to the Smithsonian station on the Orange and Blue Lines. The distance from the Smithsonian Metro Station to the event site is almost one mile.

Who are the speakers?

The speakers include representatives from SOWF, Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Dr. Alveda King and Marcus Luttrell. Jo Dee Messina will be performing as well.

What can I bring and NOT bring?

National Park Service Cleared Items to Bring

Belongings must be carried at all times.

• Food and beverage (non-alcoholic, no glass)

• Small umbrella

• Portable chair

• Personal fan or spray water bottle

• Cameras

• Blankets

• Small coolers

• Backpack

• Small flags

• Sunscreen

Prohibited Items

DO NOT BRING ANY SORT OF WEAPON, INCLUDING A POCKET KNIFE

• Tents/canopies/structures

• Glass containers

• Alcoholic beverages

• Firearms (real or simulated)

• Ammunition

• Explosives or incendiary devices of any kind (including fireworks)

• Knives, blades, or sharp objects of any length

• No staking of grounds

• No digging or trenching

• No attachments to existing landscaping

• No firearms or explosive devices, no open fires

We request that you not bring the following:

• Signs political or otherwise

• Aerosols

• Laser pointers

• Mace and/or pepper spray

• Helium balloons

• Sticks or poles

• Pocket or hand tools, such as “leatherman”

• Packages, large bags, duffle bags, suitcases

• Animals other than service/guide dogs

Will the public be allowed to camp out on the Mall?

It is against the law to camp out on the Mall. That means no sleeping bags, tents, or other erected structures are permitted on National Park Service (NPS) property which includes the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument.

What are the average temperatures for Washington DC in August? How should I dress?

According to the National Weather Service, the normal temperatures in Washington DC range from the low to mid 80’s to the low to high 90’s. We expect it to be very hot and humid so please bring sunscreen, water and wear comfortable, lightweight clothes. Rain is also unpredictable that time of year, so keep your fingers crossed, but pack a small umbrella or poncho to be safe!

Is it permissible to sell any merchandise on the National Mall grounds?

Please direct all vending inquiries to the DC Dept of Regulatory and Consumer Affairs, Sam Williams, 202-535-2973. Absolutely no products are to be sold on the National Mall (which includes the Lincoln Memorial and Washington Monument grounds).

Are there any other Restoring Honor events happening on or before August 28th?

SOWF and Glenn Beck are only organizing the Restoring Honor breakfast and event on 8/28. All other events happening around this time are unofficial and coordinated by private citizens.

How can I volunteer?

The best way is to help us spread the word about the rally. Please hand our flyer out to your family and friends, and make sure your community is aware—whether that’s your neighborhood, church, school, office, etc.

For more information email us at serve@glennbeck.com

Critical Information for Those Attending the Restoring Honor Event

ADA and Elderly Shuttle

A complimentary ADA shuttle will depart from RFK Stadium parking lots beginning at 7:00 am and drop directly at the Lincoln Memorial on Independence Avenue at the Washington DC War Memorial. Individuals meeting ADA requirements plus one person will be permitted on the bus only. A return shuttle to RFK will be offered from the same location.

Road Closures

Several roads around the Lincoln Memorial and the National Mall will be closed, including 17th Street between Constitution Ave and Independence Ave, and Independence Ave from 17th Street to 23rd Street.

Buses

Buses will not be permitted to drop near the Monuments. Buses can drop at RFK Stadium or at Union Station and attendees can take the Metro to the event site. Because of the volume of buses, RFK Stadium is the best location to drop in order to facilitate attendee reunification with their vehicles. Staff will be available at RFK all day to help direct and also reunite attendees with their buses. If you do not drop at either of these sanctioned locations, DO NOT assume that you can pick up in the same place!

Cars

Parking is extremely limited around the National Mall. Depending on road closures, cars may not be able to drop passengers near the Lincoln Memorial. Street parking meters are in effect Saturday. Read parking signs carefully. Area parking garages may offer limited hours on Saturday, please check closing times carefully.

Metro

The Washington Metro opens at 7:00 am on Saturday. The closest stops to the Lincoln Memorial are Foggy Bottom-GWU, Federal Triangle and Smithsonian on the Orange and Blue lines and Metro Center on the Red line. Marshals will be present at these stations to help direct attendees to the event site.

SOWF Welcome Area

SOWF has setup a Welcome Area at the Washington Monument. If you are taking the Metro to reach the event site at the Lincoln Memorial, please stop by the Washington Monument grounds at 15th Street to learn more about their mission and why we are gathering to support them on 8.28!

Safety

Attendees are encouraged to bring plenty of water and sunscreen and wear comfortable, lightweight clothes. Temperatures are expected to be hot! Two First Aid Stations and several cooling stations will be available. Please read our FAQs below for a list of items allowed and prohibited.

Guest DC Tea Party

Unfortunately I was not able to attend for health concerns, but I wanted to transcribe Glen Beck's speech.

Glenn Beck Opens "Restoring Honor" Rally; Declares "America Today Begins to Turn Back to God"

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=47V-dpiLM78

Glenn Beck: Hello America (Applaud)

I just have got word from the media that there is over a thousand people here today.

We are humbled that you are here. We are truly humbled.

This is really build it and they will come.

The Reflecting Pool holds about 200,000 people. This field back here holds about 250,000 to 300,000 people. They are not only full here, they are full in that field, they are full behind me, and they are now across the street approaching the Washington Monument.

Something beyond imagination is happening. Something is beyond Man is happening. America today begins to turn back to God.

For too long this Country has wandered in darkness. We have wandered in darkness in periods from the beginning. We have had moments of brilliance and moments of darkness. But, this country has spent far to long worried about stars. And thinking about the stars. And concentrating on the stars.

Today, we are going to concentrate on the good things in America. The things we have accomplished and the things we can do tomorrow.

The story of America is the story of humankind.

5000 years ago on the other side of the planet, God's chosen people were led out of bondage by a guy with a stick, who was talking to a burning bush.

Man first began to recognize God and God's law. A chosen people listened to the Lord.

At the same time those things were happening, on this side, on this land, another group of people were gathered here. And they too were listening to God.

How these two people were brought together again happened because people were listening to God.

They didn't have the right to worship God how they saw fit. So they got down on their knees. And they didn't want to come to this land. They just did, because they felt that is what God was telling them to do. And with malice toward none, they came.

God's chosen people; the Native Americans and the Pilgrims.

I would like to introduce you to Rabbi Daniel Lappen.

This is John and Kyla Ward. They are direct descendants of the Native Americans that met the Pilgrims on the shores as they arrived.

And Paster Paul Jail is a direct descendant from those that arrived on the Mayflower.

To restore America, to restore honor, we have to start at the beginning and look at the pattern. When People came together of different faith in the spirit of God. And the first thing they did was prayed together. Pastor..

Prayer.

When my son said to me about a year ago, we were reading the story of David and Goliath, and he was sitting on my lap, and I said, "Wow, what a hero he is." He said, "No he is not Dad." My son is five. I said, "How come he is not a hero?" He looked at me totally puzzled. "Well, because he can't fly and does not have a cape." That is when I realized we have lost too many heroes in this Nation.

Heroes are just people who stand and do the right thing. Usually at their own peril, they will stand and do the right thing.

What is today that America truly believes in? We have very little trust in most of our institutions. But, there is one thing that is still 15 points higher. At the top of the list on thing that America trusts, our military.

Our fighting men and women do the things that most of us don't not even want to think about. They do it while we are asleep. They do it while we at play. The point is they do it, because it is their calling. We have asked them to do it.

I wanted to find people of honor to be able show you today. I wanted to be able to raise money for an honorable group. To raise awareness for an honorable group. The group I found was

S O W F. Special Operations Warrior Foundation

I would like to introduce you now to the President of SOWF, John Karney

Guest DC Tea Party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjECCsRMnYQ

Glenn Beck: There have been so many miracles today leading up to this. I would like to see if we can do one more. If you have your cell phone, if you would text SWOF to 85944. This maybe the largest single crowd ever to be able to this this. If you text right now 85944 on your cell phone it will make a donation automatically of $10 to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. There are 500 families of Special Forces; men and women that have died in our name. Let's take of their children and let's do it right now. SWOF 85944.

This week I have been going to Mount Vernon. I went to the National Archives and I held the first inaugural address written in his own hand by George Washington. I went to the National Cathedral, which is an incredible space. In two little alcoves just as you come in the door of the National Cathedral there is a statue of George Washington on this side and a statue of Abraham Lincoln on this. What most people don't know if they see those statues that if you stand in just the right place at the right time of day, because of the stained glass windows patterns start to appear on the chests of these great men. And just at the right time of day both men start to glow red. The reason why the glow red is because the designers knew what made their chest glow red. In a small little window high above them that most people do not see. On each side is a stained glass window of Martha and Mary, their wives. And when the sun hits them just right, it makes their chest glow red.

The secret of being able to stand the test of time is being able to have God and a good spouse by your side. Family is the secret.

When I knew we wanted to honor our military. I didn't want to have a military person. I didn't want to have a member of Congress, or someone running for anything. I wanted to have a dad or a mom. That is why I picked up the phone and I called a mom. And she is speaking to you today as a mother of someone in the military.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Sarah Palin.

Sarah Palin - Thank you so much. Thank you. Are you not so proud to be an American.

Guest DC Tea Party

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ujba23mZ-0I

Sarah Palin: Thank you so much. Are you not so proud to be an American?

What an honor. What an honor.

We stand today at the symbolic crossroads of our nation's history. All around us are monuments to those who have sustained us in word or deed. There in the distance stands the monument to the father of our country. And behind me, the towering presence of the Great Emancipator who secured our union at the moment of its most perilous time and freed those whose captivity was our greatest shame. And over these grounds where we are so honored to stand today, we feel the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who on this very day, two score and seven years ago, gave voice to a dream that would challenge us to honor the sacred charters of our liberty – that all men are created equal.

Now, in honoring these giants, who were linked by a solid rock foundation of faith in the one true God of justice, we must not forget the ordinary men and women on whose shoulders they stood. The ordinary called for extraordinary bravery. I am speaking, of course, of America's finest – our men and women in uniform, a force for good in this country, and that is nothing to apologize for.

Abraham Lincoln once spoke of the "The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battle-field, and patriot grave, to every living heart and hearthstone, all over this broad land." For over 200 years, those mystic chords have bound us in gratitude to those who are willingly to sacrifice, to restrain evil, to protect God-given liberty, to sacrifice all in defense of our country.

They fought for its freedom at Bunker Hill, they fought for its survival at Gettysburg, and for the ideals on which it stands – liberty and justice for all – on a thousand battlefields far from home.

It is so humbling to get to be here with you today, patriots – you who are motivated and engaged and concerned, knowing to never retreat. I must assume that you too know that we must not fundamentally transform America as some would want. We must restore America and restore her honor!

Now, I've been asked to speak today, not as a politician. No, as something more – something much more. I've been asked to speak as the mother of a soldier, and I am proud of that distinction. You know, say what you want to say about me, but I raised a combat vet, and you can't take that away from me. I'm proud of that distinction, but it is not one that I had imagined because no woman gives birth thinking that she will hand over her child to her country, but that's what mothers have done from ancient days.

In cities and towns across our country, you'll find monuments to brave Americans wearing the uniforms of wars from long ago, and look down at their inscriptions, you'll see that they were so often dedicated by mothers. In distant lands across the globe, you'll find silent fields of white markers with the names of Americans who never came home, but who showed their dedication to their country by where they died.

We honor those who served something greater than self and made the ultimate sacrifice, as well as those who served and did come home forever changed by the battlefield. Though this rally is about "restoring honor," for these men and women honor was never lost! If you look for the virtues that have sustained our country, you will find them in those who wear the uniform, who take the oath, who pay the price for our freedom.

And I'd like to tell you three stories of such Americans – three patriots – who stand with us today.

The first is a man named Marcus Luttrell. His story is one of raw courage in the face of overwhelming odds. It's also a story of America's enduring quest for justice. Remember, we went to Afghanistan seeking justice for those who were killed without mercy by evil men on September 11th. And one fateful day in Afghanistan on a mountain ridge, Marcus and three of his fellow Navy SEALs confronted the issue of justice and mercy in a decision that would forever change their lives.

They were on a mission to hunt down a high-level Taliban leader, but they were faced with a terrible dilemma when some men herding goats stumbled upon their position, and they couldn't tell if these men were friend or foe. So the question was what to do with them? Should they kill them or should they let them go and perhaps risk compromising their mission? They took a vote. They chose mercy over self-preservation. They set their prisoners free. The vote said it was the humane thing to do. It was the American thing to do. But it sealed their fate because within hours, over a hundred Taliban forces arrived on the scene. They battled the four Navy SEALs throughout the surrounding hills. A rescue helicopter came, but it was shot down. By the time the sun set on June 28, 2005, it was one of the bloodiest days for American forces in Afghanistan.

19 brave, honorable men were lost that day. Marcus was the sole survivor. Alone, stranded, badly wounded, he limped and crawled for miles along that mountain side. What happened next is a testament to the words: "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy." Marcus and his team showed mercy in letting their prisoners free. And later he was shown mercy by Afghan villagers who honored an ancient custom of providing hospitality to any stranger who would ask for it. They took him in. They cared for him, efused to hand him over to the Taliban. They got him back safely to our forces.

Marcus' story teaches us that even on the worst battlefield against the most brutal enemy, we adhere to our principles. This American love of justice and mercy is what makes us a force for good in this world. Marcus is a testament to that.

Please join me in honoring retired U.S. Navy SEAL Petty Officer Marcus Luttrell.

From the time he first heard men marching to a cadence call, Eddie Wright had one dream in life, and that was to be a United States Marine. And as a Marine serving in Iraq, his company was ambushed in Fallujah. He was knocked out when a rocket propelled grenade hit his Humvee. When he came to, he saw that both his hands were gone and his leg was badly wounded.

He couldn't fire his weapon, he could barely move, and he was bleeding to death. But he had the strength of mind to lead the men under his command, and that is exactly what he did. He kept them calm, he showed them how to stop the bleeding in his leg, he told them where to return fire, he had them call for support, and he got them out of there alive.

His composure under fire that day earned him the Bronze Star with Valor device. But if you ask him, "What did you get it for?", he'll tell you, "Just for doing my job."

After a long recovery, Eddie continued to serve as a martial arts instructor. He resigned from his beloved Marine Corps a few years ago, but he still lives by the motto: "Once a Marine, always a Marine."

And if you want to see the American spirit of never retreating, no matter the odds – of steady confidence and optimism, no matter the setbacks – look at Eddie's story. No matter how tough times are, Americans always pull through. As Eddie put it himself: "We don't really foster the attitude of I can't. When you have an obstacle in front of you, you just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and focus on what you can."

So, please join me in honoring retired Marine Sergeant James "Eddie" Wright.

Tom Kirk was an Air Force squadron commander and a combat pilot who had flown over 150 missions in Korea and Vietnam. One day on a routine mission over Hanoi, his plane was shot down. He spent the next five and a half years in that living hell known as the Hanoi Hilton.

Guest DC Tea Party

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-rpvmGfQ4Mk

Sarah Palin: Like his fellow prisoners, Tom endured the beatings, the torture, the hunger, the years of isolation. He described it, saying, "There was nothing to do, nothing to read, nothing to write. You had to just sit there in absolute boredom, loneliness, frustration, and fear. You had to live one day at a time, because you had no idea how long you were going to be there."

After two years of solitary confinement, pacing back and forth in his cell — three and a half steps across, three and a half steps deep – Tom was finally moved to a larger holding cell with 45 other Americans prisoners, among them was a man named John McCain. In circumstances that defy description, this band of brothers kept each other alive, and one by one, they came home.

Tom was released on March 14, 1973. You might think that a man who had suffered so much for his country would be bitter and broken by it. But Tom's heart was only filled with love – love for America – that special love of country that we call patriotism.

Tom wrote, "Patriotism has become, for many, a 'corny' thing. For me, it is more important now than at any time in my life. How wonderful it is to be an American come home!"

Friends, please join me in honoring retired Air Force Colonel Tom Kirk.

My fellow Americans, each one of these men here today faced terrible sufferings, overwhelming set-backs, and impossible odds.

And they endured! And their stories are America's story.

We will always come through. We will never give up, and we shall endure because we live by that moral strength that we call grace. Because though we've often skirted a precipice, a providential hand has always guided us to a better future.

And I know that many of us today, we are worried about what we face. Sometimes our challenges, they just seem insurmountable.

But, here, together, at the crossroads of our history, may this day be the change point!

Look around you. You're not alone. You are Americans!

You have the same steel spine and the moral courage of Washington and Lincoln and Martin Luther King. It is in you. It will sustain you as it sustained them.

So with pride in the red, white, and blue; with gratitude to our men and women in uniform; let's stand together! Let's stand with honor! Let's restore America!

God bless you! And God bless America!

Glenn Beck: It is no longer enough in our country to just look at these brave heroes. They cannot be the only ones that do the tough things. We as individuals, if we want our country to survive, we must begin now to look at ourselves. We must be individuals of faith, individuals, of hope, and individuals of charity.

When I first put this together, in my head I thought I was supposed to be political. And I had to announce it for some reason. I went to down to Florida, I just felt that I had to look people in the eye and tell them what we were doing. 25,000 people showed up and I looked at them in the eye and I immediately broke off into a cold sweat. And when I got off we were surrounded by a crowd that was in the round. And people were screaming, and yelling, and hands were coming from everywhere. And I grabbed my assistant by the lapels and I pulled him in close.
And I screamed in his ear. I said, "I don't know how, but we're wrong!" He pushed me back and said, "What!!!" I knew we were supposed to come here.

So I went back to the drawing board and over the holidays I painted the Faith, Hope, and Charity. Those three icons, I brought them back to the television studio and I said, "This is our direction next year." And they looked at me and said, "What???" And I said, "I can't explain it either, but this is where we are going."

It was about four months ago and we were still kinda lost. And we didn't know what we were going to do when we got here. And I was down on my knees and we were in the office. And I said, "Lord, I think I am one of your dumber children. Speak slowly." And the answer was. You have all the pieces. Just put them together. The pieces are Faith, Hope, and Charity. And looking for those things inside each of us. So we have plenty of medals for our heroes. They do things that none of us want to do.

When I found the original story of the Purple Heart, the Badge of Merit. Our troops take bullets in our name. They do things for us in our name. And we give them the Purple Heart. But, the original intent on the Purple Heart from George Washington. It was called the Badge of Merit. It was the first merit badge. And it was given to any soldier that had done something of merit, that that had done something of honor. Because George Washington knew to be able to defeat the most powerful Navy and Army on Earth he had to have farmers and shop keepers of honor and merit.

There were three given out that we know of. They were lost until 1933, when they were rediscovered. And FDR took those and designed the medal around it for being wounded in action. I would like to humbly ask that maybe as civilians that we go back to that original intent. And for civilians that we begin look for merit in one another. We begin to look for honor. People who have done the tough things and stood against the tide, because it was right.

Today, we begin to award the new badge of merit.

Restoring honor.

Today we will award three medals to civilians that have done the right thing throughout their life and touched the lives of other people. So, our children can see regular people making tough decisions and living their life the right way.

To restore America we must not only restore honor, but in doing so, we will restore heroes. Our children need people to look up to. Well those people are not giants like that. They are giants everywhere. They are us as individuals.

Faith, Hope, and Charity.

Our first medal, Faith.

1775 American Colonies

Dr. Martin Luther King

2001, Twin Towers

Guest Godis1

I have been prejudice against blacks all my life. I actually was ready to go to this rally and fight them. I do now understand that Martin Luther King was a good man. Actually he was a hero that had to deal with people like myself. He lost his life for it. This rally showed me that we all our the same. I feel shame in my thinking. I pray for our Lord to forgive me.

Thank you Glenn Beck for opening my eyes.

Guest PA Dutch

My question is, why is there such fear in every comment Glenn Beck or Sarah Palin utters, while Harry Reid's racists remarks about the "clean" President do not get discussed.

Guest Yabivski

There are racists in the Democratic Party, the Republican Party and the <insert name here> Party. Society is made up of people and they will always include both desirable and undesirable elements of society.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.