DC Message Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ethan McGill

Washington DC gift ideas?

Guest Ethan McGill

Mostly I'm looking for Christmas ornament ideas but I don't want to go the "usual route."

I want something different ... maybe a homemade Christmas ornament or a beaded Christmas ornament for my daughter.

Guest EM

Hi Ethan,

can you be a little more specific? Are you looking for Christmas ornament crafts? Christmas tree decorations in general, or something like a glass Christmas ball (or "bauble" as they're sometimes called)?

Guest Arthur Belfast

Is there nothing made from the U.S. anymore. All the trinkets I see are made in Asia and South America. I even walked over to Washington Monument gift shop and found the same thing. The store clerk shrugged and stated "that is what they give us."

Guest Max E.

As a native Washingtonian I've had the same problem: at the various gift shops in and around Washington, DC, all the stuff seems to be made in China.

Here's a sight I found where a good number of the items are Made in America: Washington DC gifts of all kinds

Guest Salkahatchee

Has anyone heard the legend of the Christmas Pickle?

It goes something like this:

The tradition of the Christmas pickle is a tradition that nobody wants to claim in that, from my research, most native Germans have not even heard of it although legend has it the practice originated in Bavaria.

The Christmas pickle is not a pickle at all; at least not a real one: it is a pickle-shaped ornament that is the last one hung on the tree on Christmas Eve. The first child to find the Christmas pickle gets an extra gift from Saint Nicholas. Or so the legend goes...

I have two Christmas pickles from my girlfriend, but she thought they were cute, and not knowing the story, simply bought them for me as Christmas tree decorations: it was only later we found the story of "the pickle in the Christmas tree."

Does anyone know anything else or have more information or a similar story?

As a native Washingtonian I've had the same problem: at the various gift shops in and around Washington, DC, all the stuff seems to be made in China.

Here's a sight I found where a good number of the items are Made in America: Washington DC gifts of all kinds

Max E., thanks for your above post. I have been looking for some gift ideas for my brother/sister in law and also for my sister and the link you provided took me to http://www.dcgiftshop.com and they seem to have an enormous selection to choose from and the prices are very fair and are within my budget. I think i am going to go with the "2011 White House Theodore Roosevelt Ornament" as well as the "2011 U.S. Constitution ornament" for both my sister and my brother and his family. I love them both but the US constitution ornament i like the best...it is for sure one of a kind...SUPER COOL. Well that's all from me now, back to some more Christmas shopping for the rest of my family. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this