Washington DC Message Boards

Scott Brown Votes With Democrats - Hire Now Tax Cut Act of 2010

Guest DC38

Scott Brown is certain to be criticized by the party for breaking ranks with the GOP machine. The Hire Now Tax Cut Act of 2010 is intended to encourage employers to hire the unemployed by subsidizing the employer's share of the newly-hired employee's social security tax for 2010.

I came to Washington to be an independent voice, to put politics aside and to do everything in my power to help create jobs for Massachusetts families. This Senate jobs bill is not perfect ... but I voted for it because it contains measures that will help put people back to work.

It gives me great pleasure to report this.

http://www.senate.go...=00023#position

U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 111th Congress - 2nd Session

as compiled through Senate LIS by the Senate Bill Clerk under the direction of the Secretary of the Senate

Vote Summary

Question: On the Cloture Motion (Motion to Invoke Cloture on the Motion to Concur in the House Amendment to the Senate Amendment with Amendment No. 3310 to H.R. 2847 )

Vote Number: 23

Vote Date: February 22, 2010, 05:29 PM

Required For Majority: 3/5

Vote Result: Cloture Motion Agreed to

Measure Number: H.R. 2847 (Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act, 2010 )

Measure Title: A bill making appropriations for the Departments of Commerce and Justice, and Science, and Related Agencies for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2010, and for other purposes.

YEAs ---62

Akaka (D-HI)

Baucus (D-MT)

Bayh (D-IN)

Begich (D-AK)

Bennet (D-CO)

Bingaman (D-NM)

Bond (R-MO)

Boxer (D-CA)

Brown (D-OH)

Brown (R-MA)

Burris (D-IL)

Byrd (D-WV)

Cantwell (D-WA)

Cardin (D-MD)

Carper (D-DE)

Casey (D-PA)

Collins (R-ME)

Conrad (D-ND)

Dodd (D-CT)

Dorgan (D-ND)

Durbin (D-IL)

Feingold (D-WI)

Feinstein (D-CA)

Franken (D-MN)

Gillibrand (D-NY)

Hagan (D-NC)

Harkin (D-IA)

Inouye (D-HI)

Johnson (D-SD)

Kaufman (D-DE)

Kerry (D-MA)

Klobuchar (D-MN)

Kohl (D-WI)

Landrieu (D-LA)

Leahy (D-VT)

Levin (D-MI)

Lieberman (ID-CT)

Lincoln (D-AR)

McCaskill (D-MO)

Menendez (D-NJ)

Merkley (D-OR)

Mikulski (D-MD)

Murray (D-WA)

Nelson (D-FL)

Pryor (D-AR)

Reed (D-RI)

Reid (D-NV)

Rockefeller (D-WV)

Sanders (I-VT)

Schumer (D-NY)

Shaheen (D-NH)

Snowe (R-ME)

Specter (D-PA)

Stabenow (D-MI)

Tester (D-MT)

Udall (D-CO)

Udall (D-NM)

Voinovich (R-OH)

Warner (D-VA)

Webb (D-VA)

Whitehouse (D-RI)

Wyden (D-OR)

Not Voting - 8

Bennett (R-UT)

Brownback (R-KS)

Burr (R-NC)

Enzi (R-WY)

Hatch (R-UT)

Isakson (R-GA)

Lautenberg (D-NJ)

Sessions (R-AL)

NAYs ---30

Alexander (R-TN)

Barrasso (R-WY)

Bunning (R-KY)

Chambliss (R-GA)

Coburn (R-OK)

Cochran (R-MS)

Corker (R-TN)

Cornyn (R-TX)

Crapo (R-ID)

DeMint (R-SC)

Ensign (R-NV)

Graham (R-SC)

Grassley (R-IA)

Gregg (R-NH)

Hutchison (R-TX)

Inhofe (R-OK)

Johanns (R-NE)

Kyl (R-AZ)

LeMieux (R-FL)

Lugar (R-IN)

McCain (R-AZ)

McConnell (R-KY)

Murkowski (R-AK)

Nelson (D-NE)

Risch (R-ID)

Roberts (R-KS)

Shelby (R-AL)

Thune (R-SD)

Vitter (R-LA)

Wicker (R-MS)

H.R.2847 -

http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.uscongress/legislation.111hr2847

H.R.2847

Title: Making appropriations for the Departments of Commerceand Justice, and Science, and Related Agencies for the fiscal yearending September 30, 2010, and for other purposes.

Sponsor: Rep Mollohan, Alan B. [WV-1](introduced 6/12/2009) Cosponsors (None)

Related Bills: H.RES.544, H.RES.552, H.RES.976, H.R.2391, H.R.3288

Latest Major Action: 12/16/2009Resolving differences -- House actions. Status: On motion that theHouse agree with an amendment to the Senate amendment Agreed to byrecorded vote: 217 - 212 (Roll no. 991).

House Reports: 111-149; Senate Reports: 111-34

Note: Pursuant to H.Res. 976, the House modified the Commerce-Justice-Science Appropriations Act, 2010, H.R. 2847,substituting the "Jobs for Main Street Act, 2010" as Division A of theAct and the "Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2009" as Division B.(Regular appropriations for FY2010 for activities funded in the C-J-SAppropriations Act were included in the Consolidated AppropriationsAct, 2010; see Division B of P.L. 111-117.) The report of the HouseRules Committee on H.Res. 976 (H.Rept. 111-380,p. 5) summarized the matter included in Division A of the Actconcerning the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP); infrastructure,employment, and public investment programs; unemployment insurance;COBRA; small business loans; the Federal Medical Assistance Percentage;the child tax credit; surface transportation; and certain civil rightsclaims.

The White House released the following statement after the cloture vote:

The American people want to see Washington put aside partisan differences and make progress on jobs, and today the Senate took one important step forward in doing that. I'm grateful to the Democratic and Republican Senators who voted to support these investments in infrastructure and small businesses. This is one of many efforts we need to tackle our economic challenges, and we will continue to work with Congress on additional job creation measures. Jobs remain our top priority, and I look forward to working with members from both parties to get legislation signed, and the American people back to work.

Guest ALWAYSRED

U.S. Senator Tom Coburn, M.D. (R-OK) released the following statement after voting against a motion to advance the so-called Senate jobs bill, which passed by a margin of 62-30.

This bill will create debt, not jobs. Congress continues to arrogantly assume bills such as this will create more jobs than if we let Americans families and businesses keep their own money. This is press release legislation for members of Congress who want to project empathy while avoiding the hard work of prioritizing spending and putting our nation on a sustainable course,” Dr. Coburn said, noting that the bill borrows $47 billion over the next ten years without identifying any wasteful programs for elimination.

If this bill were such a fantastic product, why did the Senate hold no hearings to examine its effects? No testimony or studies were offered to show how or if this bill will create jobs. Finally, the majority brought this bill to a vote without allowing any amendments. No business or family would make long-term decisions so cavalierly. The Senate should turn its attention to restraining spending and let American families and entrepreneurs decide how to best create jobs with their own money.

Guest Charles Wms

Scott Brown is doing exactly what he said we would do. We need more Congressmen and Senators to do as their voters request. Voting for a less than perfect (ok far less than perfect) jobs bill is better than no jobs bill. My conservative ® congressman may be out this year because he is going the party line and not the home voters line. And yes I'm a ®. Been one since the 60's and worked for Ford, Reagan and Bush1.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.