DC Message Boards
sunny1

washington directions - help

sunny1    0

I need help. I'm planning my first trip to Washington and am interested in concerts/theatre. Some venues that are listed under Washington come up as Virginia when I click on them (e.g. Nissan Pavilion, Patriot Center). Can someone clarify this?

JT Allen    0

Sure can: Washington, DC is, relatively, very, very small, and it is wedged in between Maryland and Virginia like a sandwich. For example, the Pentagon is not in DC proper, but in Arlington, VA, and even though the airport code for Washington National Airport is DCA it, too, is in Virginia.

So when you search for "Washington, DC concerts" the search results are going to go outside of the DC city limits because DC is so tiny.

Hope this helps...

Guest Ed   
Guest Ed

Are you looking for big concert/theatre halls or smaller venues? For theatre a stop at the Kennedy Center is a must. If its the music scene you are into I would suggest the Blackcat or 9:30 Club in Washington, DC. There is also the State Theatre in Arlington, VA that usually has a good lineup.

Give me more information about what you are looking for and I can help you out a little better.

Guest sunny1   
Guest sunny1

JT, Thanks for the info on the "geography". This really helps put the area into perspective. I'm going to search for a map of the area and of the US!

Ed, I really enjoy professional theatre so would like to see a popular show. As for concerts, current country music stars or older rock groups would be a preference. It may be too early to know what is playing in the summer but knowing the venues would allow me to monitor their schedules.

If I stay in downtown Washington would any venues be within walking distance (I consider 1 to 1 1/2 hours walking distance).

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.