Washington DC Message Boards

Prayer of President George Washington

Luke_Wilbur

I just found the prayer of General George Washington. It is to be dat on June 8, 1783

http://www.scstateho...97/19970218.htm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

th Carolina General Assembly

112th Session, 1997-1998

Journal of the Senate

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 1997

Tuesday, February 18, 1997

(Statewide Session)The Senate assembled at 12:00 Noon, the hour to which it stood adjourned and was called to order by the PRESIDENT.

A quorum being present the proceedings were opened with a devotion by the Chaplain as follows:

Beloved,

In honor of President's Day, we shall pray today the prayer of President George Washington for the United States... still most relevant to our needs:

Let us pray.

"Almighty God: We make our earnest prayer

that Thou wilt keep the United States in

Thy holy protection; that Thou wilt incline

the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a

spirit of subordination and obedience to gov-

ernment, and entertain a brotherly affection and

love for one another and for their fellow

citizens of the United States at large. And

finally that Thou wilt most graciously be

pleased to dispose us all to do justice,

to love mercy, and demean ourselves with that

charity, humility and pacific temper of mind

which were the characteristics of the Divine

Author of our blessed religion, without a humble

imitation of whose example in these things

we can never hope to be a happy nation.

Grant our supplication, we beseech Thee, through

Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen."

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Guest John E.

Christ Church

Alexandria, VA

118 North Washington Street

Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Bishop White, the father of the Protestant Episcopal church of America, is one of the most eminent names in church history. During a large portion of the period covering nearly a quarter of a century, Washington, with his wife, attended the churches in which Bishop White officiated. In a letter dated Fredericksburg, Aug. 13, 1835, Colonel Mercer sent Bishop White the following inquiry relative to this question:

"I have a desire, my dear Sir, to know whether Gen. Washington was a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church, or whether he occasionally went to the communion only, or if ever he did so at all. ... No authority can be so authentic and complete as yours on this point."

To this inquiry Bishop White replied as follows:

"Philadelphia, Aug. 15, 1835.

"Dear Sir: In regard to the subject of your inquiry, truth requires me to say that Gen. Washington never received the communion in the churches of which I am the parochial minister. Mrs. Washington was an habitual communicant.

... I have been written to by many on that point, and have been obliged to answer them as I now do you. I am respectfully.

"Your humble servant,

"WILLIAM WHITE."

(Memoir of Bishop White, pp. 196, 197).

Guest philosopher's stone

" this me to seek for bone Man ) Little book To repeat , if you wish perhaps thin to crawl When Scias quae to be without fraud To write. Is me name

Guest August Havlicek

The Revelation of Saint John the Devine

Chapter 2

2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

ὁ ἔχων οὖς ἀκουσάτω τί τὸ πνεῦμα λέγει ταῖς ἐκκλησίαις: τῷ νικῶντι δώσω αὐτῷ τοῦ μάννα τοῦ κεκρυμμένου, καὶ δώσω αὐτῷ ψῆφον λευκὴν, καὶ ἐπὶ τὴν ψῆφον ὄνομα καινὸν γεγραμμένον, ὃ οὐδεὶς οἶδεν εἰ μὴ ὁ λαμβάνων.

When love is awakened, tingles of creative energy flow up to our conscious. Understanding that we are masters over lustful urges.

He who has vision, let him read what the Spirit saith

Guest Soldier of God

Psalm 71 : 12 - 19

O God, be not far from me: O my God, make haste to my help.

Let them be confounded and come to nothing that detract my soul; let them be covered with confusion and blame that seek my hurt.

But I will always hope; and will add to all your praise.

My mouth shall show forth your justice; your salvation all the day long. Because I have not known learning,

I will enter into the powers of the Lord: O Lord, I will be mindful of your justice alone.

You have taught me, O God, from my youth: and till now I will declare your wonderful works. 18 And unto old age and grey hairs: O God, forsake me not, Until I show forth your arm to all the generation that is to come: Your power, and your justice, O God, even to the highest great things you have done: O God, who is like to you?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.