Washington DC Message Boards

Volunteers In Emergency Preparedness

smeehan

Get involved in emergency planning - it's important, and it's needed. I'm a volunteer Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) member, part of DC's Neighborhoood Corps , at the moment coordinating efforts in Ward 2. That's Dupont Circle, Shaw, Foggy Bottom and Georgetown mostly. I'll be wanting to make several kinds of related lists covering these areas, starting off with making block maps that list highrises and condos as well as office buildings, so we know where people are likely to be found in an emergency, and we know something about their buildings. I'm also interested in useful places in case of emergencies. I've got a big list of houses of worship, to which I want to add more information so that we can contact them with some pre-emergency planning and training. And I'd like to know where each neighborhood's medical facilities, hardware stores, drug stores, and other places are which might have useful material in case of a big emergency. I'm also interested in drawing up lists of people with special needs who would need help during such an emergency - persons with physical handicaps,etc. There's a lot of work to be done, and it's quite interesting. If anyone's interested in helping out, that would be great. Of course, I would encourage everyone to get the free emergency response training that CERT officers as part of the Neighborhood Corps, which, in turn is part o Citizen Corps.. I've taken it, and it's really worthwhile. You can reach DC Citizen Corps at 202-727-7925.