Washington DC Message Boards

Vatican Says Aliens Could Exist

Guest Soldier of God_*

Guest Soldier of God_*

In an article in the Vatican newspaper, entitled “The Extraterrestrial is my brother" written by Francis M. Valiante stated that Catholics and Christians can believe in the existence of other worlds and extraterrestrial life.

Valiante cites Fr. José Gabriel Funes, S.J. (born January 31, 1963 in Córdoba), an Argentine Jesuit priest and astronomer, is the current director of the Vatican Observatory. It is one of the oldest astronomical research institutions in the world, has its headquarters at the papal summer residence in Castel Gandolfo, Italy, outside Rome.

Fr. Funes specializes in extragalactic astronomy. His field of research includes the kinematics and dynamics of disk galaxies, the star formation in the local universe. the relationship between gravitational interaction and galalctic activity.

I have done my best to translate Fr. Funes discourse

You can believe in God and in the extraterrestrials. You can admit in the existence of other worlds and other lives, while not questioning the faith in creation, and belief in redemption. This words of priest and astronomer, Jose Gabriel Funes, director of library of Specola Vatican.

The interest of the Church is to study the universe and can be explained by the fact that astronomy is the only science that has to do with the infinite and thus with God.

To be precise, the universe is not infinite. It is very big, but it is finished. Because, it has an age of fourteen billion years according to our latest knowledge. The universe was born in a given time and since then continously expanded

The big bang, in my opinion, is the best explanation of the universe that we have far from scientific perspective.

For three hundred thousand years matter, energy, and light remained united in a kind of mixture. The universe was opaque. Then matter, energy, and light separated. We must remember that light travels at three hundred thousand kilometers per second. It is precisely this to confirm that the observable universe today is not infinite.

Being an astronomer, I continue to believe that God is the creator of the universe and that we are no the product of chance, but the children of a good father, who has for us a project of

The Bible is not fundamentally a book of science. As the verbum Dei, is the book of God's word addressed to us as men. It is a love letter that God wrote to his people, in a language that dates back two thousand to three thousand years ago. At that time the concept as that of the big bang theory was a totally alien concept. Therefore, one cannot ask the Bible a scientific answer. Similarly, we do not know if in a not too distant future, the big bang theory will be superseded by a more thorough explanation and complete the origin of the universe.

But the book of Genesis speaks of the earth, animals, man, and women. Doesn't this exclude the possibility of the existance of alien beings from other worlds?

In my opinion the possibility exists. Astronomers believe that the universe is made up of one hundred billion galaxies, eas of which consists one hundred billion stars. Many of these, or almost all, could have planets. How can you exclude that life has developed elsewhere? There is a branch of astronomy, the astrobiologia, who is studying this issue and has made progress in recent years.

By examining the spectra of light that comes from the stars and planets, we will soon find elements of their atmospheres - the so called biomakers - and see if there are conditions for the emergence and development of life. After all, life forms could exist in theory without oxgen or hydrogen.

Are there beings similar to us or more advanced?

It is possible. So far we have no proof. But, certainly in a universe so big we can not exclude this hypothesis.

Would this not be a problem of our faith?

I think not. As there is multiplicity of creatures on earth, so there could be other beings even intelligent, created by God. This does not contradict our faith, because we cannot put limits on the creative freedom of God. St. Francis would say if we consider earthly creatures as our "brother" and "sister", why we could we not consider a extraterrestrial being as our brother? We are still part of creation.

What about redemption?

Let us borrow the image in the Gospel of lost sheep. The shepherd leaves his flock to go seek that which is lost. We who belong to the human race could be just the lost sheep, sinners who need a shepherd. God became man in Jesus to save us. Thus, even if there are other intelligent beings, it is said that they should be in need of redemption. They could have remained in full in friendship with their Creator.

Is redemption possible for alien sinners?

Jesus was incarnated once and for all. The incarnation is a unique and unrepeatable event. However I am sure that they also, somehow, would have the opportunity to enjoy the mercy of God, as it was for us men.

http://www.vatican.va/news_services/or/or_...8/112q08a1.html

The Vatican Advanced Technology Telescope (VATT), is a neighbor of the Large Binocular Telescope (LBT) on Mt. Graham International Observatory (MGIO) complex on Mt. Graham, a

10,480-foot-high observatory site in southeastern Arizona.

The MGIO is a division of the University of Arizona Steward Observatory.

The Vatican Observatory has been a partner with Steward Observatory since the founding in 1990 of the Vatican Observatory Research Group whose offices are at Steward.

This partnership has grown over the years and has provided the Vatican with its main impetus for continuing modern observational astrophysics.

http://vaticanobservatory.org/

How do we respond to aliens that communicate that human Catholic and Christians are not pure as them in our love for God?

How do we respond to aliens that communicate that the teachings of the Catholic Church and other religions are incorrect?

Guest Guest Human

Okay Soldier of God I'm going to play with your mind a little.

What was there before the Big Bang? The Energy had to come from some where, because it's impossible for some thing to be created out of nothing.

I honestly wished that I could be right next to you right now, because this way I would see if you could attempt to answer a question. <You would not have the time to go look up a theory online>

Guest Pram

The sixth man to walk on the moon has called on the US government to end its "embargo of truth" about the existence of aliens on Earth.

Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar D. Mitchell told a delegation of 100 "UFOlogists" in Washington that full disclosure about the presence of extra-terrestrials was essential to the survival of the human race.

"We are being visited," Mr Mitchell, 79, was quoted as saying in the Washington Times.

"It is now time to put away this embargo of truth about the alien presence.

"I call upon our government to open up ... and become a part of this planetary community that is now trying to take our proper role as a spacefaring civilisation."

Mr Mitchell, who holds the record for the longest moonwalk, said many people had told him of their experiences with aliens because he had credibility as a former astronaut.

"[They] figured I was reliable enough to carry their stories and not compromise them," he said.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/805819/as...-alien-cover-up

Guest Guest
Okay Soldier of God I'm going to play with your mind a little.

What was there before the Big Bang? The Energy had to come from some where, because it's impossible for some thing to be created out of nothing.

I honestly wished that I could be right next to you right now, because this way I would see if you could attempt to answer a question. <You would not have the time to go look up a theory online>

God. Not theory. Pure faith.

Guest Human_*

So what you are saying is that; The Universe IS the Mind of God, or just a thought? An instant realization that It "God" Exists?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God. Not theory. Pure faith.

Guest Soldier of God_*
So what you are saying is that; The Universe IS the Mind of God, or just a thought? An instant realization that It "God" Exists?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God is the Alpha and Omega. The universe is God's creation.

• 7 months later...

How do we respond to aliens that communicate that human Catholic and Christians are not pure as them in our love for God?

How do we respond to aliens that communicate that the teachings of the Catholic Church and other religions are incorrect?

Don't respond just listen.

We learn nothing when we talk only when we listen.

Guest derqerkin

All life on earth including human beings were created by people coming from another planet in our galaxy.They were people who had master genetic engineering and they created life through human cloning.They are called the Elohim meaning those who came from the sky in Hebrew.They are spoken of in the Bible,the Koran and other religious books.

Their last prophet Rael has been sent to inform humanity about their coming back to earth with some of the old prophets including Jesus, Mohamed, Elijah, Moses and Buddah.

His final mission is to help build an embassy were our creators will be welcomed.

If you want to know more,visit http://www.rael.org.

Thank you.

• 10 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Our world is turning upside down.

I believe we have been visited in the past ans are still be visited now. There are just to many reports of strange things in the night sky to be swept under the rug at this point. I think once mankind can come to terms with it that Earth will be a better place for it. I would embrace a visit of some kind and believe that us Humans would be just find excepting the fact that were not alone in this large universe.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.