Washington DC Message Boards

Ban on single sales of alcohol proposed

Guest Luke

Guest Luke

Here is a really good letter I received from Kathy Henderson

On May 9, 2008, at the ANC 5B10 meeting our community unanimously supported a ban on single sales of beer (including "forties") and pints of alcohol and a moratorium on certain classes of liquor licenses. We are working on the exact language of the ban/moratorium so that we can best promote the community's interests. We do not wish to ban legitimate sit down restaurants that may choose to operate in our community.

The bans have been particularly successful in Wards 1 and 4; however; Ward 4's ban precludes allowing any sit down restaurants. I understand that community is looking to Councilmember Bowser to amend the ban to allow legitimate restaurants that wish to apply for a liquor license the opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately, our communities are plagued by individuals that are addicted to alcohol and they cause considerable harm to themselves and the community at large. Alcohol/drug-seeking behavior fuels crime and disorder in neighborhoods. The National Institute for Drug Abuse has a wealth of information on the correlation between the availability of alcohol and proximity and number of establishments in a community and the prevalence of crime. Banning single sales has reduced public drunkenness issues in Wards 1 and 4. The individuals that scrape together enough change to purchase cheap and potent alcohol products are likely to be the same individuals loitering, passed out and committing crimes in the community to support their addiction. Banning single sales makes it difficult for such individuals to obtain their method of destruction. Do we really want to argue that dysfunctional individuals should have unfettered access to their poison?

I decided to weigh in on this issue because our respective communities are plagued by the same problems. An individual was recently arrested for a homicide in our community and a triple shooting in yours. I hope this discourse helps you in your decision regarding protecting the community's interests.

Such a ban is idiotic and will not decrease any of the things you speak of.

Here is a really good letter I received from Kathy Henderson

On May 9, 2008, at the ANC 5B10 meeting our community unanimously supported a ban on single sales of beer (including "forties") and pints of alcohol and a moratorium on certain classes of liquor licenses. We are working on the exact language of the ban/moratorium so that we can best promote the community's interests. We do not wish to ban legitimate sit down restaurants that may choose to operate in our community.

The bans have been particularly successful in Wards 1 and 4; however; Ward 4's ban precludes allowing any sit down restaurants. I understand that community is looking to Councilmember Bowser to amend the ban to allow legitimate restaurants that wish to apply for a liquor license the opportunity to do so.

Unfortunately, our communities are plagued by individuals that are addicted to alcohol and they cause considerable harm to themselves and the community at large. Alcohol/drug-seeking behavior fuels crime and disorder in neighborhoods. The National Institute for Drug Abuse has a wealth of information on the correlation between the availability of alcohol and proximity and number of establishments in a community and the prevalence of crime. Banning single sales has reduced public drunkenness issues in Wards 1 and 4. The individuals that scrape together enough change to purchase cheap and potent alcohol products are likely to be the same individuals loitering, passed out and committing crimes in the community to support their addiction. Banning single sales makes it difficult for such individuals to obtain their method of destruction. Do we really want to argue that dysfunctional individuals should have unfettered access to their poison?

I decided to weigh in on this issue because our respective communities are plagued by the same problems. An individual was recently arrested for a homicide in our community and a triple shooting in yours. I hope this discourse helps you in your decision regarding protecting the community's interests.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.