DC Message Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Buddy Bagley

The Chesapeake Jubilee Outdoor Festival

Guest Buddy Bagley   
Guest Buddy Bagley

IMG_9039.jpg

The Chesapeake Jubilee, the first major outdoor festival of the spring and summer season in South Hampton Roads, will offer music lovers a chance to shag, sway, swoon and shake to the sounds of the Four Tops, Gin Blossoms and Phil Vassar.

The 26th annual county-fair-styled event will be held May 15 to 18 at Chesapeake City Park, and organizers released Thursday the lineup of musical entertainers.

In keeping with a music formula begun two years ago, the headlining acts for this year’s Chesapeake Jubilee, will feature Soul Friday, Alt-Rock Saturday and Country Sunday.

Headlining groups on Friday, May 16, will present classic Motown and classic beach music. The evening will kick off at 7:30 p.m. with music to shag by at the hands and voices of the Embers, well known for their paean to the genre “I Love Beach Music.” The evening’s soul serenade will round out with a 9:30 p.m. performance by Motown hit-makers the Four Tops, whose numerous classics include “Reach Out (I’ll Be There),” “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch),” “Bernadette” and “Baby I Need Your Loving.”

Saturday’s 9:30 p.m. concert May 17 will feature Arizona-based alt-rock darlings the Gin Blossoms, known for such top tunes as “Found Out About You” and “Follow You Down.”

And Sunday’s country-fried lineup May 18 will feature two up-and-coming twangers in Julie Roberts at 4 p.m. with singer/songwriter Phil Vassar closing the Jubilee at 5:30 p.m. Roberts is a South Carolina native noted for her bluesy singing style, while Virginia native Vassar, called by many “the hardest working man in country,” will entertain with his vocal and piano playing prowess.

Tickets to each evening’s entertainment cost $1 with children 5 and younger admitted free.

This year’s event also will feature the third annual Chesapeake Jubilee Barbeque Cookoff, a 4-H livestock show and sale, a Shrimp Feast, fireworks, amusements, volleyball tournament and more. Call 482-4848 for more details or go to http://www.chesapeakejubilee.org.

Get Directions Click Here

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=...=17&iwloc=A