Washington DC Message Boards

The Truth About Reverend Jeremiah Wright

Guest World Harvest Church

Shame on Clinton. Shame on the news media for being silent on this revelation. Why do they not talk about this? According to Senator John McCain's pastor 25% of the African-American population has been aborted since 1973. American taxpayers have paid for these abortions through planned parenthood. Where is the outrage? People matter regardless of the color of their skin. After of 230 years of history of American history we realize the disprinciple was imperfectly implied in our nation. All men are created equal. Dred Scott would still think African American are animals. African Americans are the preferred prey of the abortion industry. Listen to the words of wisdom from the Rev. Rod Parsley. Senator McCain's pastor shares Rev Wright's view on video. Thank God for the Internet.

http://www.rodparsley.com/

If Obama does not win, I am going to vote for John McCain. May God bless our country.

Guest LAW_*

There may be a seperation of Church and State. But this digression leaves little doubt that there is no seperation with Church and Politics. This discourse is going to throwing mud in all the candidates faces. Obama with Wright, Hillary with Snyder, and McCain with Parsley.

I posted this message in the Racism topic earlier. This is more appropriate. You can delete the other post or leave it.

I think some voters may change their minds when they read that Hillary Clinton's pastor, The Rev. Dean Snyder, of the Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington stated that he disagrees with her opinion.

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright is an outstanding church leader whom I have heard speak a number of times. He has served for decades as a profound voice for justice and inclusion in our society. He has been a vocal critic of the racism, sexism, and homophobia which still tarnish the American dream.

"To evaluate his dynamic ministry on the basis of two or three sound bites does a grave injustice to Dr. Wright, the members of his congregation, and the African-American church, which has been the spiritual refuge of a people that has suffered from discrimination, disadvantage, and violence. Dr. Wright, a member of an integrated denomination, has been an agent of racial reconciliation while proclaiming perceptions and truths uncomfortable for some white people to hear.

"Those of us who are white Americans would do well to listen carefully to Dr. Wright rather than to use a few of his quotes to polarize. This is a critical time in America's history as we seek to repent of our racism. No matter which candidates prevail, let us use this time to listen again to one another and not to distort one another's truth.

United Church of Christ has approximately 1.2 million members and is composed of approximately 5,518 local congregations.

Here are just a few of a long list notable UCC members.

Howard Dean - Former Governor of Vermont (Democrat) is a member.

Judd Gregg - U.S. Senator from New Hampshire (Republican).

Andrew Young - Civil rights leader, ordained UCC pastor, and former member of Congress, UN ambassador, and mayor of Atlanta, Georgia.

Julian Bond - Chair NAACP (2004 - present).

Jeri Kehn Thompson - wife of Law & Order star and former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate Fred Thompson

Barack Obama - U.S. Senator, 2008 presidential candidate

Trinity United Church of Christ is a predominantly black church located in southeast Chicago. With upwards of 12,500 members, it is the largest church affiliated with the United Church of Christ.

Senator Barack Obama, stated that he'd had enough, forcefully repudiated his former pastor yesterday and declared that racially charged remarks made by the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. contradict all that he stands for.

I'm outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday. I have been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ since 1992 and have known Jeremiah Wright for almost 22 years. The person I saw yesterday was not the person I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but they also give comfort to those that prey on hate and I believe they do not accurately portray the perspective of the black church. They certainly do not accurately portray my values and beliefs. If Reverend Wright thinks that is political posturing on my part, he does not know me very well.

I have already denounced those comments that have come out of these previous sermons. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia, explaining that he has done enormous good in the church, has built a wonderful conversation. They are a wonderful people and what attracted me has always been the ministries reach beyond church walls. But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions, that the U.S. government is involved in AIDS, when he suggests that Louis Farrakhan represents one of the greatest voices of the 21st century, when he equates the United States' wartime effort with terrorism, then there are no excuses. They offend me, they rightfully offend all Americans, and they should be denounced. That is what I am doing very clearly and unequivocally here today.

I have spent my entire adult life trying to bridge the gap between different kinds of people. That's in my DNA, trying to promote mutual understanding to insist that we all share common hopes and common dreams as Americans and as human beings. That's who I am, that's what I believe, and that's what this campaign has been about.

http://www.dcmessageboards.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry28085

I spoke with a gentleman by the name of Phil at 202.332-4010. I asked him to confirm that The Rev. Dean Snyder following quote.

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright is an outstanding church leader whom I have heard speak a number of times. He has served for decades as a profound voice for justice and inclusion in our society. He has been a vocal critic of the racism, sexism, and homophobia which still tarnish the American dream.

"To evaluate his dynamic ministry on the basis of two or three sound bites does a grave injustice to Dr. Wright, the members of his congregation, and the African-American church, which has been the spiritual refuge of a people that has suffered from discrimination, disadvantage, and violence. Dr. Wright, a member of an integrated denomination, has been an agent of racial reconciliation while proclaiming perceptions and truths uncomfortable for some white people to hear.

"Those of us who are white Americans would do well to listen carefully to Dr. Wright rather than to use a few of his quotes to polarize. This is a critical time in America's history as we seek to repent of our racism. No matter which candidates prevail, let us use this time to listen again to one another and not to distort one another's truth.

Phil stated that he did not know word for word the statement made, but did say that Rev. Dean Snyder gave a simular sermon to the congregation. I left a message for Rev. Snyder to give me a call.

He would not have been my pastor. You don't choose your family, but you choose what church you want to attend. - Hillary Clinton

I wonder if Senator Clinton is planning to find a new church.

Guest human_*

For Barack Obama to say that he never heard of Wrights "sermons" in such a derogatory manner is simply inconsistent with Rev Wrights continuing comments.

Rev Wright goes to the character of what makes barack obama who he is.

THAT is the controversy since his "Barack Obama's" record IS slim at BEST.

Remember? He has been going to Rev Wrights Church for 20 YEARS.

Guest Destry

Name the figure from American history you admire, and who had no friends or acquaintances with shady qualities.

Washington made common cause with Ethan Allen, who was a thug and a terrorist, and with Samuel Adams, who supported terrorism.

You like Robert E. Lee? But he had Mosby as an ally, and I don't know that he ever really distanced himself from Quantrill.

Harriet Tubman, that sainted woman. Except that she'd have joined in the terrorist raid on Harper's Ferry if she hadn't been sick that night. Besides, she stole property and smuggled it to Canada!

Lincoln employed Grant, who was a drunkard.

Oliver North supplied arms to terrorists and tried to subvert the Constitution, so you'd better wipe out anybody who ever consorted with him. (Sorry, Reagan. Sorry, Cheney)

Hillary Clinton worked for a law firm that defended Black Panthers, and her husband pardoned Weathermen.

John McCain wasn't one of the Keating Five, but he spent more time and worked more closely with them than Obama ever spent with Rev. Wright.

Gosh, there's nobody you can count on, nobody with a really clean background except Jesus. Who hung out with the sons of Zebedee, a pair of noted anti-government terrorists.

Guest Representative Baron Hill

One of the tests of a true leader is his ability and willingness to come to a new conclusion based on new events. Senator Obama did just that.

Guest human_*

Anyone with ANY political common sense would have dropped Rev Wright

In a New York Minute. Barack didn't do that till his OWN pastor came out and said that he would go after obama

if he were elected president, add to that the pastors more colorful comments, and that includes the one on Latin America.

I'm sure that other Latino's will not be looking favorably on his comments.

But as I stated before, it's a look at what makes barack obama tick "20 years in Wrights Church".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the tests of a true leader is his ability and willingness to come to a new conclusion based on new events. Senator Obama did just that.

Guest Chicago Transplant

I cannot believe that this is such a huge distraction when the country is going to hell. This is not a big deal in Chicago. Trinity is the biggest church in the city. Trinity really helps people in need. Simular to Rev. Wright, Dr. King was one of the greatest Social Gospel speakers. Obama believes when Rev. Wright focused on the historically oppressed he lost sight on what we have in common. Obama believes the power of faith brings people of all races together. Rev. Wright stated that he was not Senator Obama's spiritual advisor or mentor. Special interests groups made up these statements. Senator Obama is saddenned by what has transpired. Listen to what Obama has to say that we all have to recognize each other as Americans.

Guest YAWN_*

McCain’s view of America more with those of Jeremiah Wright than those of the party who he is going to represent in the general election. That would be, of course, the same party he almost left in 2001.

Guest The Truth

I am sure Hillary's Latino supporters will happy to know that her relationship to The Fellowship Foundation has ties to Honduran general and death squad organizer Gustavo Alvarez Martinez. While The Fellowship, which strives to be "invisible," has received some media attention for allegedly having behind-the-scenes influence over political leaders.

http://tomwfox.wordpress.com/2008/03/27/hi...ult-connection/

http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/20...rys-prayer.html

http://www.toobeautiful.org/lat_020927.html

http://thecurrent.theatlantic.com/archives...-fellowship.php

http://www.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/GUIDES/459.htm#1

I wish Hillary would answer this question.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4758541

Guest Dan Smith

"The Americans are forcing even their friends into becoming their enemies. It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat. The image of America will never again be the image of revolution, freedom, and democracy, but the image of violence and militarism. "

MLK, Jr.

Guest August

We all know that Obama did not attend church regularly. Rev. Wright said as much in his famous press club interview. People who have been harping that Obama has been with his parish for 20 or so years. How could he not know? These idiots get on my nerve with thier assumptions. Just because a pastor bapistizes your children and marries you, then all of a sudden you are best friends. I have been going to my church for 25 plus years and barely know my priest. I see him for second at the end of the mass when he shaking everyones hands at the exit. In my church most of the people I grew up with just come to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter mass. During service they fuss with their kids, discreetly smile and wave at their friends, look down at their watches, and possibly catch a sermon about why they should be going to service more than just the holidays. Sunday worship is more like a social gathering were people can interact and catch up with what is going on in their lives. Then of course there is the occasional baptism, marriage, or funeral. At these times we get to know our priest by sharing private family issues. The least thing people want to is talk about politics during these important moments. I can only assume that the pundants who do not understand are those that have never attended a religious service. They are out of touch with this issue and should refrain from casting judgements from what they know little about. Or maybe they hope to keep this issue going, because they know they cannot win debating policy issues. Or even worse politics is the source where they get their dose of Godless morality.

Guest Human_*

My church is 5 miles away from me, I rarely go, BUT YOU CAN BANK your bottom Dollar that I DO KNOW what my Pastor is up to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We all know that Obama did not attend church regularly. Rev. Wright said as much in his famous press club interview. People who have been harping that Obama has been with his parish for 20 or so years. How could he not know? These idiots get on my nerve with thier assumptions. Just because a pastor bapistizes your children and marries you, then all of a sudden you are best friends. I have been going to my church for 25 plus years and barely know my priest. I see him for second at the end of the mass when he shaking everyones hands at the exit. In my church most of the people I grew up with just come to Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter mass. During service they fuss with their kids, discreetly smile and wave at their friends, look down at their watches, and possibly catch a sermon about why they should be going to service more than just the holidays. Sunday worship is more like a social gathering were people can interact and catch up with what is going on in their lives. Then of course there is the occasional baptism, marriage, or funeral. At these times we get to know our priest by sharing private family issues. The least thing people want to is talk about politics during these important moments. I can only assume that the pundants who do not understand are those that have never attended a religious service. They are out of touch with this issue and should refrain from casting judgements from what they know little about. Or maybe they hope to keep this issue going, because they know they cannot win debating policy issues. Or even worse politics is the source where they get their dose of Godless morality.

Guest Stuck in Utah

So, what do you suggest we do. All three have religious ties that are corrupt? I just think it is funny the Clinton down her shots of crown royal at the local watering hole to make me think she is one of us, but from reading these posts I am thinking she is one of them.

Guest BlingBling_*
My church is 5 miles away from me, I rarely go, BUT YOU CAN BANK your bottom Dollar that I DO KNOW what my Pastor is up to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you must be twice as angry with Hillary Clinton. Since she has been throwing stones, but, not disclosing that she spent eight years faithfully attending Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington, D.C., this is the same church that is pastored by Rev. Dean J. Snyder. The same pastor that praises Jeremiah Wright as “an agent of racial reconciliation” who proclaims "perceptions and truths uncomfortable for some white people to hear."

Guest Caicos

Can someone tell me why none of the main stream media is questioning or calling on Hillary to denounce and disown her pastor for supporting Wright? I think it is interesting how a die-hard Hillary supporter was instrumental in securing Rev. Wright's appearance at the National Press Club.

Guest Always Red
So, what do you suggest we do. All three have religious ties that are corrupt? I just think it is funny the Clinton down her shots of crown royal at the local watering hole to make me think she is one of us, but from reading these posts I am thinking she is one of them.

The Democrats operate on a different moral plane than most decent Americans. For the Clintons, EVERYONE and EVERYTHING is expendable, no matter what, in pursuit of the Clintons' quest for power.

Guest BlingBling_*

The ruling elite are not going to give up power easily.

Remember the whole Judith Miller affair that lead up to the Iraq war, as the entire controversy centers around accusations that the NYT exhibited a pro-Bush administration bias and assisted the administration in selling the war to the public.

Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr. (born 22 September 1951) became the publisher of The New York Times in 1992 and chairman of The New York Times Company in 1997.

The New York Times is a daily newspaper published in New York City and distributed internationally. It is owned by The New York Times Company, which publishes 15 other newspapers, including the International Herald Tribune and The Boston Globe. It is the largest metropolitan newspaper in the United States. Nicknamed the "Gray Lady" for its staid appearance and style, it is often regarded as a national newspaper of record, meaning that it is frequently relied upon as the authoritative reference for modern events.

Primary Choices: Hillary Clinton

As Democrats look ahead to the primaries in the biggest states on Feb. 5, The Times’s editorial board strongly recommends that they select Hillary Clinton as their nominee for the 2008 presidential election.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/25/opinion/25fri1.html

Sulzberger Jr. hired neocon, William Kristol, former editor of The Weekly Standard, Fox News commentator and high-profile Bush administration propagandist.

Jodi Kantor, is the Editor, "Arts & Leisure" section of the New York Times. Here is a snippet of her article.

Disinvitation by Obama Is Criticized

In Monday’s interview, Mr. Wright expressed disappointment but no surprise that Mr. Obama might try to play down their connection.

“When his enemies find out that in 1984 I went to Tripoli” to visit Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, Mr. Wright recalled, “with Farrakhan, a lot of his Jewish support will dry up quicker than a snowball in hell.” Mr. Wright added that his trip implied no endorsement of either Louis Farrakhan’s views or Qaddafi’s.

Mr. Wright said that in the phone conversation in which Mr. Obama disinvited him from a role in the announcement, Mr. Obama cited an article in Rolling Stone, “The Radical Roots of Barack Obama.”

According to the pastor, Mr. Obama then told him, “You can get kind of rough in the sermons, so what we’ve decided is that it’s best for you not to be out there in public.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/06/us/politics/06obama.html

Here is Reverend Wright's response to the article.

Jodi Kantor

The New York Times

9 West 43rd Street

New York,

New York 10036-3959

Dear Jodi:

Thank you for engaging in one of the biggest misrepresentations of the truth I have ever seen in sixty-five years. You sat and shared with me for two hours. You told me you were doing a "Spiritual Biography" of Senator Barack Obama. For two hours, I shared with you how I thought he was the most principled individual in public service that I have ever met.

For two hours, I talked with you about how idealistic he was. For two hours I shared with you what a genuine human being he was. I told you how incredible he was as a man who was an African American in public service, and as a man who refused to announce his candidacy for President until

Carol Moseley Braun indicated one way or the other whether or not she was going to run.

I told you what a dreamer he was. I told you how idealistic he was. We talked about how refreshing it would be for someone who knew about Islam to be in the Oval Office. Your own question to me was, "Didn't I think it would be incredible to have somebody in the Oval Office who not only knew about Muslims, but had living and breathing Muslims in his own family?" I told you how important it would be to have a man who not only knew the difference between Shiites and Sunnis prior to 9/11/01 in the Oval Office, but also how important it would be to have a man who knew what

Sufism was; a man who understood that there were different branches of Judaism; a man who knew the difference between Hasidic Jews, Orthodox Jews, Conservative Jews and Reformed Jews; and a man who was a devout Christian, but who did not prejudge others because they believed something other than what he believed.

I talked about how rare it was to meet a man whose Christianity was not just "in word only." I talked about Barack being a person who lived his faith and did not argue his faith. I talked about Barack as a person who did not draw doctrinal lines in the sand nor consign other people to hell if they did not believe what he believed.

Out of a two-hour conversation with you about Barack's spiritual journey and my protesting to you that I had not shaped him nor formed him, that I had not mentored him or made him the man he was, even though I would love to take that credit, you did not print any of that. When I told you,

using one of your own Jewish stories from the Hebrew Bible as to how God asked Moses, "What is that in your hand?," that Barack was like that when I met him. Barack had it "in his hand." Barack had in his grasp a uniqueness in terms of his spiritual development that one is hard put to find in the 21st century, and you did not print that.

As I was just starting to say a moment ago, Jodi, out of two hours of conversation I spent approximately five to seven minutes on Barack's taking advice from one of his trusted campaign people and deeming it unwise to make me the media spotlight on the day of his announcing his candidacy for the Presidency and what do you print? You and your editor proceeded to present to the general public a snippet, a printed "sound byte" and a titillating and tantalizing article about his disinviting me to the Invocation on the day of his announcing his candidacy.

I have never been exposed to that kind of duplicitous behavior before, and I want to write you publicly to let you know that I do not approve of it and will not be party to any further smearing of the name, the reputation, the integrity or the character of perhaps this nation's first (and maybe even only) honest candidate offering himself for public service as the person to occupy the Oval Office.

Your editor is a sensationalist. For you to even mention that makes me doubt your credibility, and I am looking forward to see how you are going to butcher what else I had to say concerning Senator Obama's "Spiritual Biography." Our Conference Minister, the Reverend Jane Fisler Hoffman, a white woman who belongs to a Black church that Hannity of "Hannity and Colmes" is trying to trash, set the record straight for you in terms of who I am and in terms of who we are as the church to which Barack has belonged for over twenty years.

The president of our denomination, the Reverend John Thomas, has offered to try to help you clarify in your confused head what Trinity Church is even though you spent the entire weekend with us setting me up to interview me for what turned out to be a smear of the Senator; and yet The New York Times continues to roll on making the truth what it wants to be the truth. I do not remember reading in your article that Barack had apologized for listening to that bad information and bad advice. Did I miss it? Or did your editor cut it out? Either way, you do not have to worry about hearing anything else from me for you to edit or "spin" because you are more interested in journalism than in truth.

Forgive me for having a momentary lapse. I forgot that The New York Times was leading the bandwagon in trumpeting why it is we should have gone into an illegal war. The New York Times became George Bush and the Republican Party's national "blog." The New York Times played a role in

the outing of Valerie Plame. I do not know why I thought The New York Times had actually repented and was going to exhibit a different kind of behavior.

Maybe it was my faith in the Jewish Holy Day of Roshashana. Maybe it was my being caught up in the euphoria of the Season of Lent; but whatever it is or was, I was sadly mistaken. There is no repentance on the part of The New York Times. There is no integrity when it comes to The Times.

You should do well with that paper, Jodi. You looked me straight in my face and told me a lie!

Sincerely and respectfully yours,

Reverend Jeremiah A. Wright, Jr. ,

Senior Pastor

Trinity United Church of Christ

Guest Joe Black

Everyone is sniffing every corner trying to figure out why Obama attended Trinity. That is an easy answer. Trinity is where South Side blacks go to get connected. Obama is a politician and goes where he can be seen publicly by his voting community.

• 1 year later...

I watched Jeremiah Wright through out the Obama presidential elections and I remember Rev. Wright preaching at my church in Oakland, California some years ago. When I heard him, I thought to myself that this man is so powerful and telling the truth about what he says.

Then I saw him with all the controversy during the elections. I as an African American and christian woman growing up in a country, that I saw for myself to be racist, mean spirited and one sided when it comes to justice with the law. I also remember a many of wonderful childhood and adult memories I had as an American citizen. I as well as many African and AfricanAmericans in this country, does not see America the way a white person or wealthy person see's America for the most part. When you've been called "Niggers" in this day and age and seeing your people historically tortured and told "If you don't like America go back to Africa". Well America and the world forced my people to remain free-labor for hundreds and thousands of years. Now that we have been colonized by Europeans to their life styles, America and spain and europe are home to us.Yes! Africa is the mother land for us and all humanity, but America is our home also. With that said, I understand the hurt, history and pain Rev. Wright must have felt about a country that he once loved and he saw it to be something he never thought it was. So he is speaking out about the injust ploy of hate America is sending amongst it's country men. THIS WAR HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH AMERICA OR OUR FREEDOM!. THIS WAR IS A MASONRY HISTORICAL CONFLICT PUT TOGETHER BY THE ELITE POWERS TO CAUSE DISFUNCTION AMONG THE HUMAN RACE. AND A LOTOF AMERICANS AND OTHER NATIONS HAVE BOUGHT INTO THIS LIE!. NOTHING WHAT YOU SEE IS AS IT REALLY IS!!!. BE CAREFUL WHO YOU LABEL ENEMY, THE ENEMY MAY BE CLOSER TO YOU THAN BREATHING. KNOW THE FACTS AND TRUE HISTORY OF AMERICA AND OTHER NATIONS BEFORE YOU ACT SO GONG HO' PATRIOTIC!!!. MAKE SURE YOUR PATRIOTIC FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. NOT FOR HATE AND SLANDER...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.