DC Message Boards
Guest LAW_*

Racism in American Politics

This is completely silly. It all depends on the samples you are taking. You can take sample where Africans have bigger brains than Caucasians. Whales and elephants have bigger brains, but they are no more intelligent than humans. Many genetic scientist claim there is no biological basis for race. Categorizing population clusters identified by genotype analysis are more informative than those identified by skin color or self-declaration of 'race'. I am so white that if you looked at me you would not think I am Spanish. Defining people by race is really outdated thinking.

Hey Human,

You know that I did a experimental project.

http://vegadcpages.com/English/

If you are interested, maybe we could do something together. Let me know. You can IM me on the board. I am currently letting my staff manage my email. I am focused on raising my Spanish, Irish, Czech, Danish, Sweedish, Scottish baby. Basically, he is a mutt.

I highly recommend these links to all eugenicist and white supremacist.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/health_scie...l_mixed_up.html

http://rosenberglab.bioinformatics.med.umich.edu/news.html

Guest Fletcher

It is stupid. This country is fraked up. The people are fraked up. Middle America does not want someone to lead this country. Middle America wants someone backwards like them. People have too much pride to know what is good for them. That is why our country is going to fail. It is obvious that Obama is more intellectual than Hillary or McCain. He is a better speaker. He is a better debator. Obama naturally reacts quicker. Why can't people put color behind them and realize Obama is a prodigy.

I really think the truth is that they can't handle a man more educated than them. They just want a slick talker that look like one of them.

Guest HaHa

What about Michelle Obama's event coordinator say to a fellow campaign worker, "Get me more white people, we need more white people." To an Asian girl sitting in the back row, one coordinator said, “We’re moving you, sorry. It’s going to look so pretty, though." I think the real truth is the networks are afraid to confront Obama on racism, because they are afraid of the backlash.

John McCain will win this November.

Guest LAW_*

I think some voters may change their minds when they read that Hillary Clinton's pastor, The Rev. Dean Snyder, of the Foundry United Methodist Church in Washington stated that he disagrees with her opinion.

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright is an outstanding church leader whom I have heard speak a number of times. He has served for decades as a profound voice for justice and inclusion in our society. He has been a vocal critic of the racism, sexism, and homophobia which still tarnish the American dream.

"To evaluate his dynamic ministry on the basis of two or three sound bites does a grave injustice to Dr. Wright, the members of his congregation, and the African-American church, which has been the spiritual refuge of a people that has suffered from discrimination, disadvantage, and violence. Dr. Wright, a member of an integrated denomination, has been an agent of racial reconciliation while proclaiming perceptions and truths uncomfortable for some white people to hear.

"Those of us who are white Americans would do well to listen carefully to Dr. Wright rather than to use a few of his quotes to polarize. This is a critical time in America's history as we seek to repent of our racism. No matter which candidates prevail, let us use this time to listen again to one another and not to distort one another's truth.

United Church of Christ has approximately 1.2 million members and is composed of approximately 5,518 local congregations.

Here are just a few of a long list notable UCC members.

Howard Dean - Former Governor of Vermont (Democrat) is a member.

Judd Gregg - U.S. Senator from New Hampshire (Republican).

Andrew Young - Civil rights leader, ordained UCC pastor, and former member of Congress, UN ambassador, and mayor of Atlanta, Georgia.

Julian Bond - Chair NAACP (2004 - present).

Jeri Kehn Thompson - wife of Law & Order star and former U.S. Senator and presidential candidate Fred Thompson

Barack Obama - U.S. Senator, 2008 presidential candidate

Trinity United Church of Christ is a predominantly black church located in southeast Chicago. With upwards of 12,500 members, it is the largest church affiliated with the United Church of Christ.

Senator Barack Obama, stated that he'd had enough, forcefully repudiated his former pastor yesterday and declared that racially charged remarks made by the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. contradict all that he stands for.

I'm outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday. I have been a member of Trinity United Church of Christ since 1992 and have known Jeremiah Wright for almost 22 years. The person I saw yesterday was not the person I met 20 years ago. His comments were not only divisive and destructive, but they also give comfort to those that prey on hate and I believe they do not accurately portray the perspective of the black church. They certainly do not accurately portray my values and beliefs. If Reverend Wright thinks that is political posturing on my part, he does not know me very well.

I have already denounced those comments that have come out of these previous sermons. I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia, explaining that he has done enormous good in the church, has built a wonderful conversation. They are a wonderful people and what attracted me has always been the ministries reach beyond church walls. But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions, that the U.S. government is involved in AIDS, when he suggests that Louis Farrakhan represents one of the greatest voices of the 21st century, when he equates the United States' wartime effort with terrorism, then there are no excuses. They offend me, they rightfully offend all Americans, and they should be denounced. That is what I am doing very clearly and unequivocally here today.

I have spent my entire adult life trying to bridge the gap between different kinds of people. That's in my DNA, trying to promote mutual understanding to insist that we all share common hopes and common dreams as Americans and as human beings. That's who I am, that's what I believe, and that's what this campaign has been about.

Guest Joe Black

Do you really want to know what it feels oppressed? How about being denied education. How about being denied electricity and sanitation. My parents were humiliated and stripped off their dignity.

Do you really want to know what it feels oppressed? How about being denied education. How about being denied electricity and sanitation. My parents were humiliated and stripped off their dignity.

Fear not Joe. Salvation has come to this country. America the beautiful has spoken. Barack Obama is one step closer to being the President of our blessed country. He is my symbol that 'All Men and Women Are Truly Created Equal.'

Guest Edinburgh

Stop being such a corrupt role models to your kids and Vote for Obama. Yes we understand that you are a nation built on bigotry and fear. Time to throw all that away. Show the World that you are throwing off the shackles that have held you back, and stop fearing someone because he is black.

Guest strawberry

It is amusing to read some of these posts. I wonder if some of you people really believe what you write? For some reason, I had credited the majority with some level of intelligence, but it appears some of the writers here clearly do not understand. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is scary to read what some people believe.

Guest LAW_*

The Swamp's story about Sentator Obama's racism problem with Jewish Voters is very good.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/polit...sh_problem.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Frank James

It's becoming ever more clear -- Sen. Barack Obama has substantial problems with Jewish voters but what's unclear is what he can do about it.

The latest evidence for Obama's problem with Jewish voters who have usually been reliably Democratic but have real uncertainties about Obama is an excellent piece in this morning's New York Times by Jodi Kantor.

Kantor talked with Jewish voters in South Florida, many of them liberal Democrats, and found real skepticism about Obama, some of it based on a lack of familiarity with him, some of it on misinformation and some of it on plain old-fashioned racism.

By campaigning heavily in Florida, including flooding the state's airwaves and cable pipes with ads, Obama may be able to do something about Jewish voters who have so far resisted his charms because of their unfamiliarity with him or misinformation. But it's hard to see what such campaigning can do to reverse years of racial suspicions many Jewish voters hold about African-Americans.

Anyway, right from the starting blocks, Kantor's piece captures how difficult things are going to be for Obama as he courts voters who should be behind him but aren't.

"The people here, liberal people, will not vote for Obama because of his attitude towards Israel," Ms. Weitz, 83, said, lingering over brunch.

"They're going to vote for McCain," she said.

Ms. Grossman, 80, agreed with her friend's conclusion, but not her reasoning.

"They'll pick on the minister thing, they'll pick on the wife, but the major issue is color," she said, quietly fingering a coffee cup. Ms. Grossman said she was thinking of voting for Mr. Obama, who is leading in the delegate count for the nomination, as was Ms. Weitz.

But Ms. Grossman does not tell the neighbors. "I keep my mouth shut," she said.

Florida, of course, was the state that put President Bush over the top in 2000 and both Bush and Sen. John Kerry, the Democratic nominee, fought hard for it in 2004 with Bush pulling away in the state in the end.

With Sen. John McCain, a Republican with strong appeal to independents, the all-but-official Republican nominee, the general-election race is predicted to be close again and Florida may once again be key.

Which means Jewish voters may be key. As my Chicago Tribune colleague Naftali Bendavid wrote recently, other Democratic candidates have been able to rely on relatively high Jewish support.

Still, Obama's lead among Jewish voters is a smaller margin than other Democratic nominees have enjoyed. And doubts about Obama's stands on Jewish issues and Israel stubbornly persist in segments of the community, in part due to methodical campaigns against him by his conservative critics.

"Barack is an extremely intelligent person, but you can't go dancing around here," said Illinois state Sen. Ira Silverstein, an Orthodox Jew who once shared an office with Obama and wants more specifics on Middle East policies. "People come to me wanting answers, and I try to do my best. He has some more work to do."

Jews make up less than 2 percent of the U.S. population, but they are well-organized, politically active and concentrated in a handful of key states, including classic swing states such as New Jersey and Florida. In some ways, Obama would seem a natural fit for the Jewish community, which is disproportionately Democratic, liberal and pro-civil rights. And many Jews have indeed been quick to embrace Obama.

All of this leads to this wonderful quote in Kantor's story:

"The fate of the world for the next four years," mused Rabbi Ruvi New as his Sunday morning Kabbalah & Coffee class dispersed in East Boca Raton.

"It's all going to boil down to a few old Jews in Century Village," he added, referring to a nearby retirement community.

The story goes on to list all the reasons Kantor heard from Jewish voters for why Obama made them nervous, from the falsehood that he's Muslim to the sense that he's pro-Palestinian to Israel's detriment. Kantor does a good job of batting down each of those arguments.

But these are the relatively easy issues to deal with. Then there's the issue of race.

Some of the resistance to Mr. Obama's candidacy seems just as rooted in anxiety about race as in anxiety about Israel. At brunch in Boynton Beach, Bob Welstein, who said he was in his 80s, said so bluntly. "Am I semi-racist? Yes," he said.

Decades earlier, on the west side of Chicago, his mother was mugged and beaten by a black assailant, he said. It was "a beautiful Jewish neighborhood" -- until black residents moved in, he said.

There you have it. Obama has wanted to avoid race but race found him. Here's another example from Kantor's story:

Jack Stern, 85, sitting alone at an outdoor café in Aventura on Sunday, said he was no racist. When he was liberated from a concentration camp in 1945, black American soldiers were kinder than white ones, handing out food to the emaciated Jews, he said.

Years later, after he opened a bakery in Brooklyn, "I got disgusted, because they killed Jews," he said, citing neighborhood crimes committed by African-Americans. "I shouldn't say it, but it is what it is," said Mr. Stern, who vowed not to vote for Mr. Obama.

You have to hand it to senior citizens; they often speak their minds far more freely than younger people. You may not like what you hear but it's still important to hear.

It's safe to say it's going to be extremely hard for Obama to turnaround hardened feelings like those displayed by Welstein and Stern, if that's even possible.

Guest Human_*

You get an "A".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is amusing to read some of these posts. I wonder if some of you people really believe what you write? For some reason, I had credited the majority with some level of intelligence, but it appears some of the writers here clearly do not understand. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it is scary to read what some people believe.

Guest BlingBling_*

Hillary says she is staying in the race in case Obama gets assassinated. She can go to Hell in my book. I cannot believe that Fox news can even joke about it. Liz Trotta can go to hell trying to tie Barack Obama with Osama bin Laden and stating:

Now we are having some are reading as a suggestion that somebody knock off Osama, um I mean Obama. Well both if we could... (laughter) - Liz Trotta

Watch the video clip.

Liz Trotta is the former New York bureau chief of The Washington Times and is a contributor for FOX News Channel. Call Fox News and get this biggot off the air.

1-888-369-4762.

"My husband did not wrap up the nomination in 1992 until he won the California primary somewhere in the middle of June, right? We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June in California. I don't understand it," she said, dismissing calls to drop out. - Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton

View the video at YouTube.

I was coming back from Rolling Thunder (great time) on the National Mall when I heard story about the 'misstatement' that Hillary Clinton had made. When I saw your post Bling Bling I did some searching and found her video. In my opinion, Senator Clinton was trying to say that her husband and Bobby Kennedy's campaign lasted until June. I think Senator Clinton misspoke when she said, "We all remember Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in June."

Honestly, people make mistakes all the time when they are speaking. I used to love the "Wonder Years" television show when the kid would think something in his mind and say something completely different. I know that happens to me. Senator Clinton has a right to stay in the race. But, our short attention span media wants her gone.

I realize that any reference to that traumatic moment for our nation can be deeply painful - particularly for members of the Kennedy family, who have been in my heart and prayers over this past week," she said, in a reference to Sen. Edward Kennedy's diagnosis with brain cancer. And I expressed regret right away for any pain I caused. But, I was deeply dismayed and disturbed that my comment would be construed in a way that flies in the face of everything I stand for and everything I am fighting for in this election. - Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton

Obama himself later said, "I don't think that Senator Clinton intended anything by it," and that "we should put it behind us."

Once again the media feeds on people's mistakes and casts aside attention to the issues. The FCC should be dismantled and put in the closet.

I am also sure that Liz Trotta did not mean what she said either.

Obama's camp immediately fired back.

"Sen. Clinton's statement before the Argus Leader editorial board was unfortunate and has no place in this campaign," Obama campaign spokesman said in a statement.

Clinton made her comments at a meeting with the Sioux Falls Argus-Leader's editorial board while campaigning in South Dakota, where she complained that, "People have been trying to push me out of this ever since Iowa."

http://www.nypost.com/video/?vxSiteId=0db7...p;vxBitrate=700

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Hillary says she is staying in the race in case Obama gets assassinated. She can go to Hell in my book. I cannot believe that Fox news can even joke about it. Liz Trotta can go to hell trying to tie Barack Obama with Osama bin Laden and stating:

Watch the video clip.

Liz Trotta is the former New York bureau chief of The Washington Times and is a contributor for FOX News Channel. Call Fox News and get this biggot off the air.

1-888-369-4762.

Wake up Luke! Hillary should not have use the word "assassination."I have heard that there have been death threats to Obama since he began his campaign. Liz Trotta is an idiot and should be fired and held accountable for her repugnant statement. Some psychopath might have listened to her nasty joke. The host, Eric Shawn, clearly understood that she had gone to far and quickly commented: "Talk about how you really feel."

Here is the correct contact information for Fox News:

Contact FOX:

Teri Everett, Senior Vice President

Corporate Affairs & Communications

Phone: 212-852-7070

E-Mail: teverett@newscorp.com

and

jhorner@newscorp.com

Or file an obscenity complaint here:

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/oip/Compl.html

Electronic Mail at fccinfo@fcc.gov

Toll Free: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322); 1-888-TELL-FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY

Fax: 1-866-418-0232

Edited by BlackSun

Liz Trotta did apologize and clarify her statement:

I am so sorry about what happened yesterday and the lame attempt at humor. I fell all over myself, making it appear that I wished Barack Obama harm or any other candidate, for that matter, and I sincerely regret it and apologize to anybody I have offended. It is a very colorful political season, and many of us are making mistakes and saying things we wish we had not said.

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Guest Manny

I find it interesting how Whites and Asians can get along fine. Yet blacks in this city are so violent.

Guest Ben Frank

There has been a constant propaganda attack on the American people to have various wars of a “Clash of Cultures” while depicting the Muslim counties as backward and barbarian. Meanwhile there was no acknowledgment that Israel is too a theocracy, that acts as a barbarian state, that discriminates against people of other religions.

Many of the power brokers of the neoconservative movement are right-wing Jewish Americans with some right-wing secular and Christians smattered in as well. This is no small detail—that is that they have been working, along with their cohorts at AIPAC, for U.S wars in the Middle East. They actively worked to bypass our CIA’s more tentative and contrary assessments about WMD while they created their own “Office of Special Plans” within the Pentagon. Yes it was three more rightwing NeoCons, Abram Shulsky and Douglas Feith, that used this specially created Paul Wolfowitz aberration of a temporary center to distort intelligence assessments that went to the President—circumventing the establishment.

Guest Always Red

I think it is interesting how two Muslim women were denied visible seats behind Barack Obama’s stage at Joe Louis Arena on Monday because they wore head scarves. This is the second time that Obama's campaign has crafted the stage to look multicultural. The last time they denied black people to sit behind Obama. He may have apoligized, but this is the second time Obama has done this.

Why is he afraid of his heritage?

Guest human_*

It is fascinating to watch black on black discrimination, and yet The African American Community IS going to support him regardless of what he does.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is interesting how two Muslim women were denied visible seats behind Barack Obama’s stage at Joe Louis Arena on Monday because they wore head scarves. This is the second time that Obama's campaign has crafted the stage to look multicultural. The last time they denied black people to sit behind Obama. He may have apoligized, but this is the second time Obama has done this.

Why is he afraid of his heritage?

Guest Time For Change

Every one of Virginia's 6 presidents was a slaveholder (Washington, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Tyler, Taylor) while the New Jersey resident Woodrow Wilson (claimed by Virginia

because he was born there) frequently ridiculed African Americans publicly as president of Princeton and would later as president ban African Americans from federal jobs, though Harrison,

McKinley, Roosevelt and others had appointed blacks.

Virginia fought with the South in the Civil War.

Virginia has often been 2nd only to Texas in executions, with 3 to 4 times as many blacks as whites on death row executed.

In 1785 Thomas Jefferson wrote to his fifteen-year-old nephew, Peter Carr, regarding what he considered the best form of exercise: "...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body, and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks."

According to family history, Jefferson's father, probably intending to test his young son's mettle rather than his skill for game, sent the ten year old boy, armed with a rifle, into the woods. Jefferson was unsuccessful; however, on finding a wild turkey caught in a pen, he took the bird out, tied it to a tree with his garter, shot it and carried his prize home in triumph.

The slave, Isaac, in his inimitable Memoirs of a Monticello Slave, gives a clear picture of Jefferson the hunter. He recalls that his master hunted "squirrels and partridges; kept five or six guns...Old Master wouldn't shoot partridges settin'. Said 'he wouldn't take advantage of 'em' - would give 'em a chance for thar life. Wouldn't shoot a hare settin', nuther; skeer him up fust." Isaac goes on to say that when Jefferson heard hunters down in his deer park at Monticello he "used to go down thar wid his gun and order 'em out."

Primary Source References

1792 March 17. "Indeed I have kept [ Elkhill ] hitherto on account of it's beauty, and go to it sometimes on hunting parties."

1808 November 24. "From the circumstances of my position, I was often thrown into the society of horse racers, card players, fox hunters, scientific & professional men, and of dignified men; and many a time have I asked myself, in the enthusiastic moment of the death of a fox, the victory of a favorite horse, the issue of a question eloquently argued at the bar, or in the great council of the nation, well, which of these kinds of reputation should I prefer? That of a horse jockey? a fox hunter? an orator? or the honest advocate of my country�s rights?"

1811 September 6. "[Thomas Jefferson Randolph] & myself intend you a visit in November, and it will then be a question for the consideration of your papa and yourself whether you shall not return with us & visit your cousins. This will be acceptable to us all, and only deprecated by the partridges & snowbirds against which you may commence hostilities."

1812 April 25. (Jefferson to James Maury). "All of my old friends are nearly gone...We would beguile our lingering hours with talking over our youthful exploits, our hunts on Peter's mountain..."

1822 July 20. "I presume he is a gun-man, as I am sure he ought to be, and every American who wishes to protect his farm from the ravages of quadrupeds & his country from those of biped invaders. I am a great friend to the manly and healthy exercises of the gun."

Lose your house, Lose your vote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michigan Republicans plan to foreclose African American voters

The chairman of the Republican Party in Macomb County Michigan, a key swing county in a key swing state, is planning to use a list of foreclosed homes to block people from voting in the upcoming election as part of the state GOP’s effort to challenge some voters on Election Day.

“We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren’t voting from those addresses,” party chairman James Carabelli told Michigan Messenger in a telephone interview earlier this week. He said the local party wanted to make sure that proper electoral procedures were followed.

http://www.michiganmessenger.com/4076/lose...-lose-your-vote

The chairman of the Republican Party in Macomb County Michigan, a key swing county in a key swing state, is planning to use a list of foreclosed homes to block people from voting in the upcoming election as part of the state GOP’s effort to challenge some voters on Election Day.

“We will have a list of foreclosed homes and will make sure people aren’t voting from those addresses,” party chairman James Carabelli told Michigan Messenger in a telephone interview earlier this week. He said the local party wanted to make sure that proper electoral procedures were followed.

State election rules allow parties to assign “election challengers” to polls to monitor the election. In addition to observing the poll workers, these volunteers can challenge the eligibility of any voter provided they “have a good reason to believe” that the person is not eligible to vote. One allowable reason is that the person is not a “true resident of the city or township.”

The Michigan Republicans’ planned use of foreclosure lists is apparently an attempt to challenge ineligible voters as not being “true residents.”

One expert questioned the legality of the tactic.

“You can’t challenge people without a factual basis for doing so,” said J. Gerald Hebert, a former voting rights litigator for the U.S. Justice Department who now runs the Campaign Legal Center, a Washington D.C.-based public-interest law firm. “I don’t think a foreclosure notice is sufficient basis for a challenge, because people often remain in their homes after foreclosure begins and sometimes are able to negotiate and refinance.”

As for the practice of challenging the right to vote of foreclosed property owners, Hebert called it, “mean-spirited.”

GOP ties to state’s largest foreclosure law firm

The Macomb GOP’s plans are another indication of how John McCain’s campaign stands to benefit from the burgeoning number of foreclosures in the state. McCain’s regional headquarters are housed in the office building of foreclosure specialists Trott & Trott. The firm’s founder, David A. Trott, has raised between $100,000 and $250,000 for the Republican nominee.

The Macomb County party’s plans to challenge voters who have defaulted on their house payments is likely to disproportionately affect African-Americans who are overwhelmingly Democratic voters. More than 60 percent of all sub-prime loans — the most likely kind of loan to go into default — were made to African-Americans in Michigan, according to a report issued last year by the state’s Department of Labor and Economic Growth.

Challenges to would-be voters

Statewide, the Republican Party is gearing up for a comprehensive voter challenge campaign, according to Denise Graves, party chair for Republicans in Genessee County, which encompasses Flint. The party is creating a spreadsheet of election challenger volunteers and expects to coordinate a training with the regional McCain campaign, Graves said in an interview with Michigan Messenger.

Whether the Republicans will challenge voters with foreclosed homes elsewhere in the state is not known.

Kelly Harrigan, deputy director of the GOP’s voter programs, confirmed that she is coordinating the group’s “election integrity” program. Harrigan said the effort includes putting in place a legal team, as well as training election challengers. She said the challenges to voters were procedural rather than personal. She referred inquiries about the vote challenge program to communications director Bill Knowles who promised information but did not return calls.

Party chairman Carabelli said that the Republican Party is training election challengers to “make sure that [voters] are who they say who they are.”

When asked for further details on how Republicans are compiling challenge lists, he said, “I would rather not tell you all the things we are doing.”

Vote suppression: Not an isolated effort

Carabelli is not the only Republican Party official to suggest the targeting of foreclosed voters. In Ohio, Doug Preisse, director of elections in Franklin County (around the city of Columbus) and the chair of the local GOP, told The Columbus Dispatch that he has not ruled out challenging voters before the election due to foreclosure-related address issues.

Hebert, the voting-rights lawyer, sees a connection between Priesse’s remarks and Carabelli’s plans.

“At a minimum what you are seeing is a fairly comprehensive effort by the Republican Party, a systematic broad-based effort to put up obstacles for people to vote,” he said. “Nobody is contending that these people are not legally registered to vote.

“When you are comprehensively challenging people to vote,” Hebert went on, “your goals are two-fold: One is you are trying to knock people out from casting ballots; the other is to create a slowdown that will discourage others,” who see a long line and realize they can’t afford to stay and wait.

Challenging all voters registered to foreclosed homes could disrupt some polling places, especially in the Detroit metropolitan area. According to the real estate Web site RealtyTrac, one in every 176 households in Wayne County, metropolitan Detroit, received a foreclosure filing during the month of July. In Macomb County, the figure was one household in every 285, meaning that 1,834 homeowners received the bad news in just one month. The Macomb County foreclosure rate puts it in the top three percent of all U.S. counties in the number of distressed homeowners.

Wayne, Oakland, Macomb, Kent and Genessee counties were — in that order — the counties with the most homeowners facing foreclosure, according to RealtyTrac. As of July, there were more than 62,000 foreclosure filings in the entire state.

Joe Rozell, director of elections for Oakland County in suburban Detroit, acknowledged that challenges such as those described by Carabelli are allowed by law but said they have the potential to create long lines and disrupt the voting process. With 890,000 potential voters closely divided between Democratic and Republican, Oakland County is a key swing county of this swing state.

According to voter challenge directives handed down by Republican Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land, voter challenges need only be “based on information obtained through a reliable source or means.”

“But poll workers are not allowed to ask the reason” for the challenges, Rozell said. In other words, Republican vote challengers are free to use foreclosure lists as a basis for disqualifying otherwise eligible voters.

David Lagstein, head organizer with the Michigan Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), described the plans of the Macomb GOP as “crazy.”

“You would think they would think, ‘This is going to look too heartless,’” said Lagstein, whose group has registered 200,000 new voters statewide this year and also runs a foreclosure avoidance program. “The Republican-led state Senate has not moved on the anti-predatory lending bill for over a year and yet [Republicans] have time to prey on those who have fallen victim to foreclosure to suppress the vote.”

I have to chime in on this discussion. One of my friends told me that he went to see Joe Gibbs at the 2008 Values Voter Summit this weekend. It is basically a republican fundraiser held by Family Research Council. He was joking about the Obama Waffle Mix they were selling. I cannot believe that a group that claims to faith, family and freedom would sell racist crap to sell money. The box demeans him to be simular pancake-mix icon Aunt Jemima. Just look at his popping eyes and big, thick lips as he stares at a plate of waffles and smiles broadly.

Here are some pix. Tell me what you think.

ObamaWaffles1.jpg

ObamaWaffles2.jpg

http://www.obamawaffles.com/

Edited by HailtotheChief

Guest Hard Working American

I think racism will cost Obama the election. I am to scared to put his sticker on my car.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I see this has made it to YouTube.

Looks like the Republican Klan are playing the race card against Barack instead of using a legitimate political strategy. It looks like they even got Lou Dobbs to join their Klan.

CNN_Lou_Dobbs_Racist.jpg

CNN's Lou Dobbs stopped by the booth and exclaimed, "My wife will love this!"

If you want to tell CNN how you feel, here are some emails to a few of the higher ups at the network:

Jim.Walton@turner.com (Jim Walton is the president of CNN Worldwide)

Susan.Grant@turner.com (Susan Grant is executive vice president of CNN News Services)

Jon.Klein@turner.com (Jonathan Klein is president of CNN/US)

Rena.Golden@turner.com (senior vice president and executive producer of CNN.com)

David.Payne@turner.com (senior vice president and general manager of CNN.com)

Mitch.Gelman@turner.com (senior vice president and senior executive producer of CNN.com)

I am truly sorry that African American citizens had to see this garbage. I am Spanish, so I understand the slander. Here was a statement release

http://www.frcaction.org/index.cfm?i=PR08I03&f=PR08I03

Statement by Family Research Council Action

Executive Director David Nammo

September 13, 2008

We strongly condemn the tone and content of materials that were exhibited by one of the vendors at this weekend's Values Voter Summit. The materials represent an attempt at parody that crosses the line into coarseness and bias.

The exhibitor contacted our reviewer just days before the Summit by email and described material that sounded like it was devoted to political flip-flops on policy issues. When the content of the materials was brought to the attention of FRC Action senior officials today, they were removed and the exhibit was dismantled by the vendor at our insistence. It is our responsibility to fully vet materials that are offered at any event we cosponsor, but we are deeply dismayed that this vendor violated the spirit, message and tone of our event in such an offensive manner.

The Values Voter Summit represents a coming together of many long-established organizations that work across denominational and ethnic lines to celebrate and promote the family and a culture of life. We reject any communications that divide and distract us and frustrate these principles. Bishop Harry Jackson's High Impact Leadership Coalition, Gary Bauer's American Values, and Alliance Defense Fund join us in rejecting this material.

The only problem is that Whitlock and DeMoss were selling these boxes for over two days at the conference. Once the politico dogs got wind of this trash the exhibit was pulled. The person who reviewed their exhibit should be fired and Lou Dobbs needs to apoligize for this embarassment. He is the one I am really upset at. Lou Dobbs is national star that people listen to out the truth. This racial and sexist slamming has got to end. Let the best candidates win by their merits and not by the color of their skin. That goes for both parties. Grow up people.

Edited by Luke_Wilbur

Guest Tim Wise

For those who still can't grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it,

perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your

family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because "every family has challenges," even as black

and Latino families with similar "challenges" are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a "frakin' redneck," like Bristol Palin's boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll "kick their frakin' ass," and talk

about how you like to "shoot ***brown trout***" for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of,

then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don't all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you're "untested."

White privilege is being able to say that you support the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance because "if it was good enough for

the founding fathers, it's good enough for me," and not be immediately disqualified from holding office--since, after all, the pledge was written in the late 1800s and the "under God" part wasn't added until the 1950s--while believing that reading accused criminals and terrorists their rights (because, ya know, the Constitution, which you used to teach at a prestigious law school requires it), is a dangerous and silly idea only supported by mushy liberals.

White privilege is being able to be a gun enthusiast and not make people immediately scared of you.

White privilege is being able to have a husband who was a member of an extremist political party that wants your state to secede from the Union, and whose motto was "Alaska first," and no one questions your patriotism or that of your family, while if you're black and your spouse merely fails to come to a 9/11 memorial so she can be home with her kids on the first day of school, people immediately think she's being disrespectful.

White privilege is being able to make fun of community organizers and the work they do--like, among other things, fight for the right of women to vote, or for civil rights, or the 8-hour workday, or an end to child labor--and people think you're being pithy and tough, but if

you merely question the experience of a small town mayor and 18-month governor with no foreign policy expertise beyond a class she took in

college--you're somehow being mean, or even sexist.

White privilege is being able to convince white women who don't even agree with you on any substantive issue to vote for you and your

running mate anyway, because all of a sudden your presence on the ticket has inspired confidence in these same white women, and made them give your party a "second look."

White privilege is being able to fire people who didn't support your political campaigns and not be accused of abusing your power or being a typical politician who engages in favoritism, while being black and merely knowing some folks from the old-line political machines in Chicago means you must be corrupt.

White privilege is being able to attend churches over the years whose pastors say that people who voted for John Kerry or merely criticize George W. Bush are going to hell, and that the U.S. is an explicitly Christian nation and the job of Christians is to bring Christian theological principles into government, and who bring in speakers who say the conflict in the Middle East is God's punishment on Jews for rejecting Jesus, and everyone can still think you're just a good

church-going Christian, but if you're black and friends with a black pastor who has noted (as have Colin Powell and the U.S. Department of

Defense) that terrorist attacks are often the result of U.S. foreign policy and who talks about the history of racism and its effect on black people, you're an extremist who probably hates America.

White privilege is not knowing what the Bush Doctrine is when asked by a reporter, and then people get angry at the reporter for asking you

such a "trick question," while being black and merely refusing to give one-word answers to the queries of Bill O'Reilly means you're dodging

the question, or trying to seem overly intellectual and nuanced.

White privilege is being able to claim your experience as a POW has anything at all to do with your fitness for president, while being

black and experiencing racism is, as Sarah Palin has referred to it a "light" burden.

And finally, white privilege is the only thing that could possibly allow someone to become president when he has voted with George W.

Bush 90 percent of the time, even as unemployment is skyrocketing, people are losing their homes, inflation is rising, and the U.S. is increasingly isolated from world opinion, just because white voters aren't sure about that whole "change" thing. Ya know, it's just too vague and ill-defined, unlike, say, four more years of the same, which is very concrete and certain.

White privilege is, in short, the problem.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.