Washington DC Message Boards

My Giants Won

BigBlue

The 1972 Miami Dolphins still remain the NFL's only undefeated team. in many local bars it was easy to find an argument over who would go down as the greater team - the Dolphins or this year's Patriots. That debate is moot now. The Patriots' inexorable march on the Dolphins died in the desert.

"I'm sure they are going to realize what they accomplished this year," said 72 Dolphin coach Don Shula, who attended the game, "and then what they failed to accomplish at the end of the year."

I'm happy for the Giants," said 72 running back Mercury Morris,"They deserve to win because they did what it took, which is exactly what we did 17 times. For people who weren't around then and don't understand that we are so proud of the fact, not that the Giants knocked off the Patriots, but that people will get an idea that the only way you can go undefeated is to win every game. You can talk about it all you want, but you still have to win every game."

“I don’t take joy in the fact the Patriots lost, period,” said ’72 Dolphins tight end Jim Mandich. “but I do relish and savour the fact that there has only been one unbeaten team in the history of the NFL, and it is the 1972 Miami Dolphins. Of that, I am extremely proud.”

"You score 14 points," said Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady, "that's not going to do it."

"It's not even worth talking about now," Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi said, "because it's over."

"We thought we had them several times," said Patriots defensive end Richard Seymour, "Our goal wasn't to be perfect. Our goal was to win the Super Bowl. The undefeated season just sort of happened."

"I think their intensity from the beginning snap to the end of the game was really higher than ours," said Patriots wide receiver Randy Moss, "We just couldn't meet that intensity."

"They are a very good defensive football team," Patriots Coach Bill Belichick said, "They made some plays. We made some plays. In the end, they made a couple more than we did."

Most frustrating game I have ever seen. One lucky pass and a blown call. WEAK! Still love the Pats, but the last thing I want to do is go to work. At least we are better than the deadskins. I really want to get out of this town.