Washington DC Message Boards

Joe Gibbs is Going to Resign

Guest Luke

In a just a few moments Joe Gibbs will make public his resignation.

There is speculation that Bill Cower is possibly coming to town.

There are rumors flying everywhere.

Bill Cower is looking is looking for a home in Loudon County, Virginia.

I hope this is not true.

Greg Williams and Al Saunders should be offerred the job.

Sean Taylor's death brought family back to the team, owner, and fans who just love the game.

Snyder needs to show loyalty to his family and promote from within.

http://www.redskins.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=33853

Head coach Joe Gibbs will retire as Redskins head coach and team president.

Gibbs, who resigns with one year remaining on his contract, will remain a part of the Redskins family and serve as a special advisor to owner Daniel M. Snyder.

The announcement came early on Tuesday morning.

The search begins for Gibbs's successor, who would become the 27th head coach in team history.

With great fanfare, Gibbs returned to coach the Redskins in January 2004 after an 11-year hiatus.

Since then, Gibbs compiled a 31-36 record, with two playoff appearances.

In his first stint as Redskins head coach, from 1981-92, Gibbs helped guide the franchise to three Super Bowl championships. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1997.

Gibbs's overall record is 154-94 in the regular season. He was 17-7 in the postseason.

Gibbs, 67, has called the 2007 season one of the toughest seasons he has ever endured, given the tragic death of Sean Taylor, the number of severe injuries to starters and the series of close losses.

The Redskins rallied to win their last four games of the regular season and make the postseason as a Wild Card. Last Saturday, they lost to the Seattle Seahawks 35-14 in the first round of the playoffs.

Even though it was a tough way to end the season, Gibbs said he was proud of his team's heart and character in making the playoffs.

After meeting with players on Sunday afternoon, Gibbs went home to spend time with his family. He returned to Redskins Park on Monday afternoon.

In his season-ending press conference on Monday, Gibbs said he would meet with Snyder that evening to discuss his coaching future.

Asked if he felt emotionally drained after such a trying season, Gibbs replied: "I just think it was a hard year for all of us. It was the toughest for me. It may be hard for people to understand, but when you go through a season like that, for a while it's kind of hard to re-grasp reality.

"I think it was good for me to go home and see my grandkids last night."