Washington DC Message Boards

U.S. Media Continues to Get Worse

Guest Robert Parry

Guest Robert Parry

Day in/day out, year in/year out, the American Right pours billions and billions of dollars into its media apparatus, with Fox News starting a second network and Rupert Murdoch adding the Wall Street Journal to his empire, not to mention an endless array of well-financed outlets in radio, magazines, newspapers and the Internet.

Meanwhile, many American progressives and liberal foundations remain locked in a dogmatic resistance to investing seriously in media.

When I talk with wealthy progressives, they act as if building honest media is someone else's responsibility.

They tell me that they want to put their money into either direct-action projects (like feeding the poor or buying up endangered wetlands) or into supporting regulatory efforts (like restricting money in politics or trying to reestablish government rules about media size and content).

While those endeavors might have some merit, the tragedy is that the progressives are passing up a great opportunity to use new openings created by the Internet to build powerful media institutions that can generate truthful information and establish some balance in the information reaching the public.

I see members of the Democratic Party spending alot of posting on DCMessageBoards.com. I think that is what the Republican party is failing to understand. The Internet has now passed televised media. It does not matter about how whiz bang a network's technology is. The discourse is all that matters.

• 4 months later...
Guest Edinburgh

It is a disgrace that the US Media which is owned by the likes of Murdoch. This Australian who dumped his nationality so he could run his media empire in a US that had strict rules on who could own media there. Foreigners were excluded, but in that abortion of a country, they don't respect themselves or the Constitution Scots gave them.

We have your type here in Scotland. They are called Unionists or Westminster Lapdogs who betray their country. We are getting rid of them, so you lot can stop following a mad woman or a silly old man, who has to get help to have a pee.

I actually think that the U.S. media is getting better. I think the writers strike pushed people to look beyond the traditional news and entertainment channels. We can now share opinions and watch stories from across the globe. The Internet revolution has allowed people to access information that never had the opportunity. The fact that people take the time to share information is a great benefit to world culture. Governments are having a more difficult time suppressing information and the truth usually rises to the top.

• 3 years later...
Guest Soldier of God

It is a disgrace that the US Media which is owned by the likes of Murdoch. This Australian who dumped his nationality so he could run his media empire in a US that had strict rules on who could own media there. Foreigners were excluded, but in that abortion of a country, they don't respect themselves or the Constitution Scots gave them.

We have your type here in Scotland. They are called Unionists or Westminster Lapdogs who betray their country. We are getting rid of them, so you lot can stop following a mad woman or a silly old man, who has to get help to have a pee.

This is three years late.