DC Message Boards
Luke_Wilbur

“The Other Charleston,” Photo Documentary Series

Local photographers Lauren Henkin and Leta O’Steen will exhibit new series of photographs at the Photoworks Gallery in Glen Echo Park from October 5 – November 18. An opening reception with the artists will take place on Saturday, October 6 from 4 – 6 pm.

Lauren Henkin, a recent Prix de la Photographie first place winner, presents “The Other Charleston,” a documentary series of black and white photographs of Charleston, West Virginia. She explains, “With these images, I was trying to show that Charleston, West Virginia has all the intrigue, humility and appeal that classically beautiful Charleston, South Carolina has. There is great beauty waiting to be noticed in our ignored cities. And we should be paying more attention to them.”

Born in Washington, D.C., award-winning photographer Lauren Henkin grew up in a Maryland suburb. She attended Washington University in St. Louis and, after graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Architecture, moved back to Maryland and began working as an architect. Although much of her photographic knowledge is self taught, Henkin has furthered her fine arts education by studying with photographers Gordon Hutchings, Tyler Boley, and George Tice.

Leta O’Steen’s “833 Mapleton Terrace,” is an ongoing series of color photographs of the artist’s grandparents. The artist describes the project, “Images of my family allow me to look closely at those who I am permanently connected to. The camera provides meaning and purpose to time spent with my family. Normally it would be mundane or uneventful. Capturing the ordinary moments provide a sense of being and awareness. These portraits offer insight about life–shaping experiences as well as passing, transient moments–each defining the other. A small piece of time can be equally as important as a day or a year.”

After receiving a BFA in photography at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia, O’Steen moved to Washington, D.C. In 2001 she began working in the Public Affairs Office at the Washington National Cathedral. At the cathedral she photographed all currently–living presidents, the Dalai Lama, and other national and international leaders for major national prayer ceremonies. O’Steen is a recipient of the Savannah College of Art and Design’s Artistic Honors Fellowship in 2004. She exhibits locally and teaches at Photoworks in Glen Echo. She is most excited about being a new mother to Francis Miles Dunham.

The Photoworks Gallery (301-229-7930) is located at 7300 MacArthur Boulevard, Glen Echo, Maryland 20812, and is open Wednesdays and Sundays 1-8pm, during class times, and by appointment (301-229-4313). More information can be found at www.glenechophotoworks.org.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.