Washington DC Message Boards

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales Resigns

Guest Chris Van Hollen

Guest Chris Van Hollen

Today, we saw what can happen when we stand together to hold Republicans accountable.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales resigned today because of the relentless pressure that our people-powered Democratic Majority brought to bear. We could not have done it without you. But there is no time to rest - we need to ratchet up the same kind of pressure on those Republicans who continue to obstruct our efforts to change the direction on the war in Iraq.

Guest human_*

I'm sure that this will score allot of points with the democrats when it comes to the Latino vote.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, we saw what can happen when we stand together to hold Republicans accountable.

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales resigned today because of the relentless pressure that our people-powered Democratic Majority brought to bear. We could not have done it without you. But there is no time to rest - we need to ratchet up the same kind of pressure on those Republicans who continue to obstruct our efforts to change the direction on the war in Iraq.

THE PRESIDENT: This morning, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales announced that he will leave the Department of Justice, after two and a half years of service to the department. Al Gonzales is a man of integrity, decency and principle. And I have reluctantly accepted his resignation, with great appreciation for the service that he has provided for our country.

As Attorney General and before that, as White House counsel, Al Gonzales has played a role in shaping our policies in the war on terror, and has worked tirelessly to make this country safer. The Patriot Act, the Military Commissions Act and other important laws bear his imprint. Under his leadership, the Justice Department has made a priority of protecting children from Internet predators, and made enforcement of civil rights laws a top priority. He aggressively and successfully pursued public corruption and effectively combated gang violence.

As Attorney General he played an important role in helping to confirm two fine jurists in Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Samuel Alito. He did an outstanding job as White House Counsel, identifying and recommending the best nominees to fill critically important federal court vacancies.

Alberto Gonzales's tenure as Attorney General and White House Counsel is only part of a long history of distinguished public service that began as a young man when, after high school, he enlisted in the United States Air Force. When I became governor of Texas in 1995, I recruited him from one of Texas's most prestigious law firms to be my general counsel. He went on to become Texas's 100th secretary of state and to serve on our state's supreme court. In the long course of our work together this trusted advisor became a close friend.

These various positions have required sacrifice from Al, his wife Becky, their sons Jared, Graham and Gabriel, and I thank them for their service to the country.

After months of unfair treatment that has created a harmful distraction at the Justice Department, Judge Gonzales decided to resign his position, and I accept his decision. It's sad that we live in a time when a talented and honorable person like Alberto Gonzales is impeded from doing important work because his good name was dragged through the mud for political reasons.

Guest Human_*

Move on? Excuse me, but is it not the Democrats saying that Republicans such as myself don't care about Latino's. That my group are xenophobes?

And The Democrats lead by HILLARY STANDING UP, and CHEERING that Attorney General Alberto Gonzales had resigned.

To my fellow Latino’s y Latina's, Acuerdate de este momento. You have just seen the Democrat Glass ceiling when it comes to Latino's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we should recognize the contributions and mistakes of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales briefly, but lets move on people.

Guest Alberto

Este hombre ¿ha tenido que ver con los cinco detenidos cubanos; a qué se debe la renuncia, tiene alguna importancia en el juicio que se le sigue a los cubanos o no?

Guest Human_*

Try staying on the subject instead, and I might add "nice try too".

You still can't defend the message that the democrats sent by standing up and cheering when Alberto Gonzales resigned, and HILLARY was on top of the pack on that one honey.

"The cuban 5 is what you are referring too."

http://www.plenglish.com/article.asp?ID=%7...amp;language=EN

Cuban 5 Congratulate Fidel Castro

Havana, Aug 13 (Prensa Latina) The five Cuban anti-terrorist fighters unfairly imprisoned in United States sent messages of congratulation to President Fidel Castro on his 81st birthday.

Media Headlines Fidel Castro Birthday

"We are deeply proud to have a Titan as our commander," wrote Ramon Labanino in his note from the prison in Beaumont, Texas.

"We wish you health and vitality in this 81st birthday, and to hope to celebrate future anniversaries together in our beautiful land," stated Labanino, who also sent the revolutionary leader the Cuban Five"s affection.

Fernando Gonzalez expressed Fidel Castro gratitude for the note the president sent him a year ago "stating we will overcome the monstrous injustice," alluding irregularities of the process in which they are still serving harsh sentences.

Antonio Guerrero said that "it is a coincidence that August has been a month of important events in the legal battle against the monstrous injustice that keep them in prison." On the other hand, "Granma" newspaper reproduces a letter published a year ago by Rene Gonzalez, who also celebrates his birthday the same day as Fidel Castro, as well as a comic by Gerardo Hernandez, allegorical to the date Cubans are celebrating today.

The Cuban Five were detained on September 12, 1998 in Miami, for only gathering information about terrorist plots by anti-Cuban organizations in Miami, Florida, in an effort to prevent the deaths of Cuban and even United States citizens.

They defense lawyers are called for an hearing on the case at the US Court of Appeals 11th Circuit in Atlanta on August 20.

sus iff leg apf PL-16

Este hombre ¿ha tenido que ver con los cinco detenidos cubanos; a qué se debe la renuncia, tiene alguna importancia en el juicio que se le sigue a los cubanos o no?

Guest Human_*

The left wing Latino’s want to know What Alberto Gonzales role is, and did it have anything to do with his resignation.

Excuse my ignorance, but I am not following this thread? What does this have to do with Alberto Gonzales?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.