DC Message Boards
Luke_Wilbur

OC Sunshine House

Guest chris stewart

I am CV Roberts son Chris. He is living in Vero Beach Florida still. I love hearing stories about those surf shops. A couple of his favorites are some afgan vests they bought and sold and when he lived at the shop. Awesome stories!!

Guest FC

Keep up the great work jessica, im OLD school friends with your dad. He is, as you know..One & Only!

A true Legend!

FC

Guest SunshineRider

Keep up the great work jessica, im OLD school friends with your dad. He is, as you know..One & Only!

A true Legend!

FC

Guest JT in DC

Sunshine House was a local legend around the DC metro area from the late 70's to the early 90's if my memory serves me correctly; I know it was around before the late 70's, but the popularity of their apparel exploded in the early 1980's ... it was amazing, particularly in Bethesda, Maryland.

Guest Bones Brigade

I drove past the Bethesda location on Cordell at lunch. The old location of "B-Town", The Sunshine House, also known as The Bethesda Surf Shop, was an old farm house with a big porch, painted day-glow yellow as the OC Shop was. They tore the old house down in the mid eighties. The building they replaced it with is now a piece of trash and needs to be torn down. They should have left it alone! Check out this picture of Rocker Henry Rollins in prep school; notice under extra-curricular activities that he was a Bethesda Surf Shop Skate Team Member.

rollins.jpg

Guest SunshineRiders

I am looking for the Bone Brigade. I see the band and would really like to hook you up with Sunshine Riders.

Guest SunshineRiders

We are looking for the Bones Brigade. Jimmy is reminising about his old days, and he wants to hear from the the BT folks. Give us a shout. His facebook page is SunshineRiders.

Guest Marc

Chaunceys on 54th street sells them in Ocean City. They are the original owners. They don't have a sign but do sell them online. I saw one at Ropewalk Tavern in Baltimore. I asked where they got them and bought many myself.

Guest OC Soul Surfer

I would love to here the history of Sunshine House. I remember shopping at the one in Fair Oaks Mall. It really brings back memories. I used to get all of my T&C clothing there. Does anyone remember the clothing with the characters? Good memories and good times. I want to get my hands on some of the Sunshine House shirts also.

Soul Surfer

I am looking to purchase some tee-shirts. I had six of them.

I remember everyone at North Bethesda Junior High wearing them.

I went from Catholic School Uniform to Surf unclothed. My parents were not so pleased. But, I did not care.

Guest OC Soul Surfer

I am looking to purchase some tee-shirts. I had six of them.

I remember everyone at North Bethesda Junior High wearing them.

I went from Catholic School Uniform to Surf unclothed. My parents were not so pleased. But, I did not care.

Luckily for me, I went to public, so it wasn't a shocker for them. Sunshine House was the only and has been the only real surf shop in that area in awhile. There have been other shops, but nothing compares. They had everything you needed. It was always nice listening to the music and watching the videos while you shopped.

Guest OC Soul Surfer

Do you live in Ocean City OC Soul Surfer?

No Luke, I'm from Orange County, CA. Lived in VA for 5 years and shopped at the Sunshine House in Fair Oaks Mall frequently. Funny thing is that I still have my rubber Local Motion Surfboard keychain that I bought there as well as some stickers of the original T&C characters.

Are you from Ocean City?

Guest Tony West

I was on the B-Town Surf Shop skate team... I still have an old team shirt somewhere.

I glad to here everyone is still alive and well. I discovered a recently built concrete park here in Manhattan this weekend that has motivated me to buy a board and pads ;^) Now, if I can find my old stash of Finnegan & Roberts stickers...

Tony West

Guest Leonardo Garcia

Bethesda Surf Shop ! The OC Sunsine House ! Jim Finigan ! What great memories !

My brother and I bought our first "real" skateboards(flexy aluminum decks) at the old yellow house in Bethesda. Probably around 1975. In 1978 we purchased our first surfboards( a used 6'7'' Aipa Stinger), our first Surfer mag and 2 bars of Lightning Bolt Pure juice wax and headed for OC for a whole week ! We were 18 and 15 y/o and we slept inside a 1970 Mustang parked in front of the beach.

No parents - just my brother and I. A few months later we moved to South America. That was the beginning of a lifelong journey of waves and adventures. In 1985 I went thru the area once again and talked to Jim about a part time job at the now modern store on Cordell Ave. Things had changed , Jim drove a Porsche ! Bethesda had changed... a lot..I left for Hawaii where I ended up living in Maui for close to 9 years. I was lucky enough to have surfed at all the major and some very secluded surfing spots of this planet, Experienced the world cultures, become a rep for major surfing brands.... and it all started at that cool old yellow house. You guys were part of many people's lives at a very special moment in surfing and skateboarding history. Thanks Jim ! Aloha.

Does anyone know what happened to the Sunshine House? The place used have the coolest surfing tee-shirts. Everyone in my school used to wear them.

how about Sundance Brother Hood, Dale Showell's shop? I moved to Cocoa Beach in 79', sure miss Sunshine House, I drove the bus(first women driver I was :) and stop there to get wax in hurry ! I will move back one day. Cocoa Beach is fine, but nothing beats surfing my old 9th street.

Guest Liz

I still have a couple of my Sunshine House longsleeve shirts from the early 80s...loved them...thin weight cotton...why are all teeshirts (concerts, etc) are now made with super heavy cotton? They just don't break in as fast...

Guest Pjoy15

If anyone is interested in selling any of their Sunshine House l/s tees....you have a buyer here!! Spent my summers there in the 70's and 80's....love to have even just one!! THX EMAIL ME: pjoy15@gmail.com

Finigan is alive and well!!!

Jim Finigan, the original owner who started Bethesda Surf Shop and OC Sunshine House with his partner CV Roberts, lives in Southwest Virginia and is truly the "Surfing Cowboy". He is anxious to talk with any of you that remember the shops.

He'd love to talk to anyone interested in the history of Sunshine House.

I continue to be amazed how many folks know about Sunshine House. I am very pleased to be helping Jimmy to remember all that happened and how amazing it was!!

Jimmy will look forward to hearing from folks. Please respond, and we will provide contact information.

Hey SunshineRider!

I didn't know JF very well, but Blair ? would DEFINITELY remember me

EVERY day after school at Bethesda Elementary, Pyle Jr. High, and even into my Whitman days you could find me and my buds on the porch. I'd regularly get egg rolls from North China restaurant, some sugar from High's and spend all my hard-earned Washington Post delivery money on shirts and boards. I once calculated that I likely earned around $10K during my 5th to 12th grade years and only had a red Banzai to show for it. :blink: So much for learning how to save as a kid.

Just drove Bethesda for the first time in many years and the memories are great, but it's not at all the same. Some change is hard.

Please say "hello" to Jimmy for me and, if he's also still around, I would love to know if Blair is doing okay.

Blessings!

Those were the days for sure! That cord shorts/long sleeved tees era of the late 70's and early 80's was so cool, and Sunshine House was leading the way. Does anyone remember the surfboard shack out back? G&S, Waldens, Stussys, Channel Islands.......... the board selection was awesome. And the waves in front of the Calypso on 62nd St. were going off alot more often then too ! I'm glad to hear that Finnie and CV are happy and well. We were all alot younger back then but probably no less stoked ! As iconic as Sunshine House became in the OC surf scene, I would be remiss if I did not remind my fellow graybeards of the old Enterprise II surf shop down at the south end of OC which Finnegan and Roberts owned and had before they opened Sunshine House. In fact both shops were open for awhile. Anyway, thanks for stirring up some old memories........ Keep Surfing !!

Guest Squid

chauncey surf shop in ocean city sells them

I heard they only have limited line. There were so many cool prints.

Guest JayAAllen

1. The old Sunshine House building, located on 62nd St, is once again called Sunshine House but it is a gift shop. They do not have the t-shirts for sale.

2. Chauncey's Surf Shop (5309 Coastal Hwy. and 2908 Coastal Hwy.) both sell Sunshine House t-shirts. They are reprints of the original logos. The owners of Chauncey's used to run Sunshine House and still own the copyright, in order to print clothing with the name on it. A website is currently being designed to sell Sunshine House t-shirts (short and long sleeve) and sweatshirts. The name of the website is Thesunshinehousethirts.com.

3. You can call either store, as of right now, and order Sunshine House items over the phone.

Here's the link:

http://store.thesunshinehousetshirts.com/

Go crazy....

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.