Washington DC Message Boards

John Edwards has a stake in disputed treasure ship found off Spain

Human

http://www.ohio.com/mld/ohio/news/nation/17309031.htm

By Helen Kennedy

New York Daily News

NEW YORK - Avast matey - is John Edwards a pirate? The Spaniards say yes, and they want their plundered loot back.

In a campaign twist right out of a summer movie, the Democratic presidential candidate turns out to have a share of the recovered treasure trove first revealed last week.

Edwards is an investor in Odyssey Marine Exploration, the company that announced it found a 350-year-old sunken ship laden with 17 tons of silver coins and gold objects.

The haul, which has already been spirited back to the U.S., is said to be worth more than $500 million.

Now Spain is up in arms, saying the booty is rightfully theirs and accusing Odyssey of "plundering" the riches.

James Goold, a maritime lawyer representing Spain, said he filed a claim in Florida "contesting Odyssey's right to . . . recover treasure from Spanish ships or Spanish property."

He said he went to court after Odyssey refused to say where they found the wreck, code-named "The Black Swan."

The Spaniards think the ship is the legendary "Merchant Royal," which sank in 1641 carrying the Spanish Army's payroll in a vast trove of silver coins.

Odyssey said even if another party has a claim to the wreck, salvage law usually awards 90 percent of the loot to the finders.

Edwards has already technically seen spoils from the sunken ship. He is a major investor in Fortress Investments, which has a 10 percent stake in Odyssey. The company's share price soared 81 percent after the spectacular find.

It could be, as to how he got the news on that, that ship was searching for gold ships.

Sorry for the delay, my net connection is acting up. OKAY!!!! massively acting up.

Half the time is up, and the other half down. Verizon is starting to look good "I just might switch over to verizon.

Found whut I was looking fer. Nice ship tracker link

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/

There really is good info on the net "I just wish that some of the info that is on the net was not made public, fer security reasons".

Edited by Human

I tried searching for The two ships, "Odyssey Explorer" and "Ocean Alert," belonging to Odyssey Marine Exploration with the search you gave:

I got the following results

This database contains only a small fraction of the ships worldwide, those that participate in the World Meteorological Organization's program of voluntary at-sea weather reporting. The database also contains vessels with US radio licenses. For the most part military vessels are excluded, but occasionally a Coast Guard ship will make a report.

Here is Odyssy's response to why they are being so "secretive" about the "Black Swan?"

Based on past experience with other shipwrecks, we have found that putting out information about the identity of shipwrecks into the public before we are certain of the identity results in wild speculation about values, ownership rights and scores of other issues. We also believe that it would be an added risk factor to disclose the location of the site because we have publicly stated that we have left a large number of artifacts on the site, and the security risk is obvious.

It's still a fun link to play with though "Luke". I could find um, it would just take me a while.

But ya know, that's the fun thing about living, or working in D.C.

ALL the information is here in D.C., some one around here has to know where the main maitime shipping database is located, or at the very least they would point me in the right direction "hoping" "crossing fingers" lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried searching for The two ships, "Odyssey Explorer" and "Ocean Alert," belonging to Odyssey Marine Exploration with the search you gave:

I got the following results

Here is Odyssy's response to why they are being so "secretive" about the "Black Swan?"

John Edwards is an investor of Fortress Investment Group and has money in a Drawbridge Special Opportunities Fund. The funds’ investment philosophy is premised on the belief that while alternative asset investing in general exploits areas of less efficient asset pricing, skilled alternative asset managers are able to consistently generate superior risk-adjusted returns. Anyone can be an investor if they have the money.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.