Washington DC Message Boards

Doxie McCoy Spokesperson for Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton

After the DC Voting Rights March DCpages created a photo gallery on the event. I contacted the office of Congresswoman Eleanor Holmes Norton to her comments about the March.

Capitol Hill Office

2136 Rayburn HOB

Washington, D.C. 20515

(202) 225-8050 tel

(202) 225-3002 fax

I was transferred to Doxie McCoy, the Spokesperson for the Congresswoman. The conversation between Doxie McCoy and myself started out pleasant enough, but when I asked for the Congresswoman's reflections and speech at City Hall Doxie's tone changed.

"Mr Wilbur, I do not have the time to do this," she replied. "Would you like me to send you the Congresswoman's floor statement?"

I explained that I have been following H.R. 1433 and would rather set up a time to discuss the March with the Congresswoman.

"No I won't set up an appointment." Doxie McCoy replied. "I will end up having to write her statements and I just don't have time."

I then asked Doxie McCoy if she could do it at a later time. She did not answer.

After two weeks of fustration I feel that the Congresswoman's spokesperson lacks professionalism in promoting H.R. 1433 and DC Voting Rights. I am done communicating to a person who does not care.

You can follow-up with Doxie McCoy at 202.225.8050 office 202.225.8143 cell or email her at:

doxie.mccoy@mail.house.gov

Luke,

Do not let this foolish person get you down. This cause is bigger than you, me, her, or anyone. It involves a freedom we should already have. So, suck it up and "Move On" (my favorite organization).

I see Senators Joseph Lieberman (I-CT) and Orrin Hatch (R-UT) today introduced a bill in the Senate that would give DC citizens their first-ever voting member of Congress. A similar bill, the DC Voting Rights Act, passed the House of Representatives on April 19.

This nonpartisan, vote-neutral legislation pairs one seat for heavily Democratic DC with a fourth seat for Republican-leaning Utah. Unlike the House version, the Senate bill does not have an at-large seat for Utah. Instead, Utah will adopt a four-seat map such as the one approved in December. Also, the newly created DC and Utah positions would be elected during the 2008 election.

These changes were necessary to secure bipartisan cosponsorship of the bill. Ilir Zherka, Executive Director of DC Vote, the organization leading the coalition advocating for the DC Voting Rights Act, offers this response:

“We welcome the introduction of the DC House Voting Rights Act by Senators Lieberman and Hatch. Their support and engagement will significantly increase the appeal of this bill and make it easier for our coalition to secure bipartisan support in the Senate. “We recognize that the Senate bill differs from the House-passed measure in some important respects. We will work with our allies in both chambers and off the Hill to enact a bill that reconciles those differences.

“DC Vote’s coalition remains focused on building support for the DC Voting Rights Act on Capitol Hill and around the country. We will continue to advocate for movement forward. We are confident that we can work with our allies, particularly in key states, to address questions with the legislation and shepherd the DC Voting Rights Act toward passage by Congress

Let's get this party started ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.