Washington DC Message Boards

House passes bill 241-177 to give District of Columbia Representation

District of Columbia residents moved a step closer Thursday to gaining voting rights in the House of Representatives. The legislation, which passed the House on a 241-177 vote, still faces a veto threat from the Bush administration, which said it interprets the U.S. Constitution as denying congressional votes for residents of the capital city.

America is at its best and honors the cause of freedom and justice when all voices are fully represented. That must include the people of the District of Columbia. - Speaker Nancy Pelosi

The United States is the only representative democracy that does not afford the citizens of its capital voting representation. This is not only a national disgrace, but an international embarrassment. - Majority Leader Steny Hoyer

District of Columbia House Voting Rights Act of 2007 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)

HR 1905 EH

AN ACT

To provide for the treatment of the District of Columbia as a Congressional district for purposes of representation in the House of Representatives, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to adjust the estimated tax payment safe harbor based on income for the preceding year in the case of individuals with adjusted gross income greater than $5 million, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `District of Columbia House Voting Rights Act of 2007'.

SEC. 2. TREATMENT OF DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA AS CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT.

(a) In General- Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the District of Columbia shall be considered a Congressional district for purposes of representation in the House of Representatives.

(b ) Conforming Amendments Relating to Apportionment of Members of House of Representatives-

(1) INCLUSION OF SINGLE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA MEMBER IN REAPPORTIONMENT OF MEMBERS AMONG STATES- Section 22 of the Act entitled `An Act to provide for the fifteenth and subsequent decennial censuses and to provide for apportionment of Representatives in Congress', approved June 28, 1929 (2 U.S.C. 2a), is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

`(d) This section shall apply with respect to the District of Columbia in the same manner as this section applies to a State, except that the District of Columbia may not receive more than one Member under any reapportionment of Members.'.

(2) CLARIFICATION OF DETERMINATION OF NUMBER OF PRESIDENTIAL ELECTORS ON BASIS OF 23RD AMENDMENT- Section 3 of title 3, United States Code, is amended by striking `come into office;' and inserting the following: `come into office (subject to the twenty-third article of amendment to the Constitution of the United States in the case of the District of Columbia);'.

SEC. 3. INCREASE IN MEMBERSHIP OF HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES.

(a) Permanent Increase in Number of Members- Effective with respect to the One Hundred Tenth Congress and each succeeding Congress, the House of Representatives shall be composed of 437 Members, including any Members representing the District of Columbia pursuant to section 2(a).

(b ) Reapportionment of Members Resulting From Increase-

(1) IN GENERAL- Section 22(a) of the Act entitled `An Act to provide for the fifteenth and subsequent decennial censuses and to provide for apportionment of Representatives in Congress', approved June 28, 1929 (2 U.S.C. 2a(a)), is amended by striking `the then existing number of Representatives' and inserting `the number of Representatives established with respect to the One Hundred Tenth Congress'.

(2) EFFECTIVE DATE- The amendment made by paragraph (1) shall apply with respect to the regular decennial census conducted for 2010 and each subsequent regular decennial census.

© Special Rules for Period Prior to 2012 Reapportionment-

(1) TRANSMITTAL OF REVISED STATEMENT OF APPORTIONMENT BY PRESIDENT- Not later than 30 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the President shall transmit to Congress a revised version of the most recent statement of apportionment submitted under section 22(a) of the Act entitled `An Act to provide for the fifteenth and subsequent decennial censuses and to provide for apportionment of Representatives in Congress', approved June 28, 1929 (2 U.S.C. 2a(a)), to take into account this Act and the amendments made by this Act.

(2) REPORT BY CLERK- Not later than 15 calendar days after receiving the revised version of the statement of apportionment under paragraph (1), the Clerk of the House of Representatives, in accordance with section 22(b ) of such Act (2 U.S.C. 2a(b )), shall send to the executive of each State a certificate of the number of Representatives to which such State is entitled under section 22 of such Act, and shall submit a report to the Speaker of the House of Representatives identifying the State (other than the District of Columbia) which is entitled to one additional Representative pursuant to this section.

(3) REQUIREMENTS FOR ELECTION OF ADDITIONAL MEMBER- During the One Hundred Tenth Congress, the One Hundred Eleventh Congress, and the One Hundred Twelfth Congress--

(A) notwithstanding the final undesignated paragraph of the Act entitled `An Act for the relief of Doctor Ricardo Vallejo Samala and to provide for congressional redistricting', approved December 14, 1967 (2 U.S.C. 2c), the additional Representative to which the State identified by the Clerk of the House of Representatives in the report submitted under paragraph (2) is entitled shall be elected from the State at large; and

(B ) the other Representatives to which such State is entitled shall be elected on the basis of the Congressional districts in effect in the State for the One Hundred Ninth Congress.

SEC. 4. NONSEVERABILITY OF PROVISIONS.

If any provision of this Act, or any amendment made by this Act, is declared or held invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions of this Act and any amendment made by this Act shall be treated and deemed invalid and shall have no force or effect of law.

SEC. 5. ADJUSTMENT OF ESTIMATED TAX PAYMENT SAFE HARBOR FOR INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYERS WITH ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME GREATER THAN $5 MILLION.

(a) In General- Subparagraph © of section 6654(d)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to limitation on use of preceding year's tax) is amended by redesignating clauses (ii) and (iii) as clauses (iii) and (iv), respectively, and by inserting after clause (i) the following new clause:

`(ii) INDIVIDUAL ADJUSTED GROSS INCOME GREATER THAN $5,000,000- If the adjusted gross income shown on the return of the individual for such preceding taxable year exceeds $5,000,000, clause (i) shall be applied by substituting `110.1' for `110' in the last row of the table therein.'.

(b ) Separate Returns- Clause (iii) of section 6654(d)(1)© of such Code, as redesignated by subsection (a), is amended by inserting `and clause (ii) shall be applied by substituting `$2,500,000' for `$5,000,000' before the period at the end.

© Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after the date of the enactment of this Act.

Passed the House of Representatives April 19, 2007.

Attest:

Clerk.

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

H. R. 1905

AN ACT

To provide for the treatment of the District of Columbia as a Congressional district for purposes of representation in the House of Representatives, to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to adjust the estimated tax payment safe harbor based on income for the preceding year in the case of individuals with adjusted gross income greater than $5 million, and for other purposes.

District of Columbia residents moved a step closer Thursday to gaining voting rights in the House of Representatives. The legislation, which passed the House on a 241-177 vote, still faces a veto threat from the Bush administration, which said it interprets the U.S. Constitution as denying congressional votes for residents of the capital city.

District of Columbia House Voting Rights Act of 2007 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)

So to inshire this new found right we here by as citizens give up the right to amend our own charter and allow congress to draft our new legistation, then let it languish for 35 day where there after it becomes DC law and no one voted on it.

I am calling Bull SH*T on any one that supports Congress, heck it will be a staffer, drafting our laws and enacting them.

That said I will be the first person to sign up and carry the public referendum to every home that votes in Ward 3.

Edited by NelsonJacobsen

I really think President Bush will not want to termed the President that vetoed Stem Cell Research and Democracy.

Democracy is when the people do the work of the people, so far the people of DC are giving up democracy for ease, speed, and some future undefined amendment that NO LIVE PERSON WILL VOTE ON BEFORE IT BECOME A LAW. It is not like the schools have not been broke for years why the speed to take them over now?

As my child is in DCPS I have as much in this issue at stake as any other residence of the District. I am not going to sit by quietly and watch the District become Operation Iraqi freedom. I will also be looking to hold elected officials responsible when this whole school thing blows up in their and more than likely the kid that are in DCPS faces.

Just like the vote to go to War on the national level, those that were in favor of it while it was easy to be are now finding the citizenry a bit more reluctant to buy into their campaign. I believe that in a very short time this will be a defining moment for those of us in DC.

To vote on any level is the prime dictate of a democracy those that don't vote give up that right and the right to complain later as far as I am concerned.

I am all in favor of democracy but if I could have my own dictatorship, well I would take it in a minute.

You cannot be happy with the current system in place. It is completely corrupt. What would you do to make it better?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.