Washington DC Message Boards

Republicans get SWEPT

Human

From this Republican to the Democrats; Congratulations.

i am not a democrat proper, but in america, the people feel the republican party seems to have forgotten who it is that puts them in office. and they seem to have forgotten the responsibility that comes with that charge. it is not the ultra-rich and the corporations. it is maybe not the common people. but those who do make the decisions, have spoken. i suggest all republicans be sharp enough to notice and to change their ways. where i am, the 911 fiasco was not received well, but the patriot act and the proposed patriot act II was the clincher. we don't want this. the politics of hate and hysteria may work in texas, but not in america. 2008 is not that far away and you can plan on a repeat performance if the republican party continues in pursuit of unstatesmanlike conduct.

it is said: a leader is a man who notices where the masses are going. he looks forward to where that will end up. then when he finds a new and more profitable result, he strikes out in a new direction and draws people after him.... but the man who feels where the mob is going and only runs up front and proclaims himself a leader, is not a leader but an opportunist. america wants statesmen. america has spoken.

thank you for hearing this humble citizen.

Progressive candidates won decisively across the country yesterday, and with their victories came some historic firsts for the U.S. government. Among the highlights, Nancy Pelosi will be the first woman to serve as Speaker of the House of Representatives and the third highest official after president and vice-president. Pelosi will also be the first Italian-American elected as House Speaker. For the first time, three African-Americans : Charlie Rangel (D-NY), John Conyers (D-MI), and Bennie Thompson (D-MS) will serve simultaneously as House committee chairmen. Keith Ellison (D-MN), elected to the House yesterday, will become the first Muslim to serve in Congress. With Claire McCaskill's (D) Senate victory in Missouri, a record number of women (15) will now serve in the U.S. Senate. Governor-elect Deval Patrick (D-MA) became the first black governor elected in Massachussetts and the second African-American to ever be elected governor in the nation.

The battle for the U.S. Senate came down to the race in our metro area. Democratic challenger Jim Webb has a slight lead over incumbent Republican George Allen. The Democrats victory in Montana today gave them control of 50 seats in the chamber to 49 for Republicans. As Human previously stated, the winner of the Virginia race may not be known until Nov. 27. Webb claimed victory last night and Allen refused today to concede. Virginia election officials began to certify the vote that showed Webb leading by about 8,000 out of more than 2.3 million cast.

I really enjoyed President Bush's remarks on the election results.

Q Thank you, Mr. President. With all due respect, Nancy Pelosi has called you incompetent, a liar, the emperor with no clothes, and as recently as yesterday, dangerous. How will you work with someone who has such little respect for your leadership and who is third in line to the presidency?

THE PRESIDENT: Suzanne, I've been around politics a long time; I understand when campaigns end, and I know when governing begins. And I am going to work with people of both parties.

Look, people say unfortunate things at times. But if you hold grudges in this line of work, you're never going to get anything done. And my intention is to get some things done. And as I said, I'm going to start visiting with her on Friday, with the idea of coming together.

Look, this was a close election. If you look at race by race, it was close. The cumulative effect, however, was not too close. It was a thumping. But nevertheless, the people expect us to work together. That's what they expect. And as I said in my opening comments, there comes responsibility with victory. And that's what Nancy Pelosi told me this morning. She said in the phone call she wants to work together. And so do I. And so that's how you deal with it.

This isn't -- this isn't my first rodeo. In other words, I haven't -- this is not the first time I've been in a campaign where people have expressed themselves, and in different kinds of ways. But I have learned that if you focus on the big picture, which, in this case, is our nation and issues we need to work together on, you can get stuff done. For example, the No Child Left Behind Act is going to come up for reauthorization. There's an area where we must work together for the sake of our children and for the sake of a competitive America. And I believe we can get a lot done. And I know it's the spirit of the new leadership to try to get a lot done, and I look forward to talking to them about it.

And it’s over now, the democrats WIN, and the republicans lost.

But this is OUR ELECTRAL SYSTEM "no matter what" it's the best system on earth.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DEMOCRATS. :)

Now You ARE in the drivers’ seat, ENJOY the RIDE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for allowing me to post in here Luke, It's been a pleasure.

Let us not forget good people that the Dems do not have enough votes in either house to override a presidential veto which may come on many matters Congress tries to pass.

The FAT LADY hasn't sung yet.

And it’s over now, the democrats WIN, and the republicans lost.

But this is OUR ELECTRAL SYSTEM "no matter what" it's the best system on earth.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DEMOCRATS. :)

Now You ARE in the drivers’ seat, ENJOY the RIDE.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for allowing me to post in here Luke, It's been a pleasure.

Let the citizens and their elected officials agree. Now is the time to put away the extremism of politics and the abrogation of the Constitution and return to show the world we are a civilized people.

If we are going to war, let us establish identifiable targets and not miasmic ideas. Let us enter with a definite plan of action and give the soldiers adequate equipment. Let us define a goal that is achievable within a reasonable timeframe with the resources we do have. And since this is the second invasion of a country. Sun Tzu's admonition in "The Art Of War" is applicable - we should fund the campaign from the booty we get in the war and not from the monies of our own people.

Additionally, I am passionate to point out that my vote and the vote of the persons i associate with was primarily predicated on that blasphemy against our Constitution: the Patriot Act. We feel that act is not patriotic but treasonous, adding to the impeachable "high crimes" of this administration.

Congratulations to the nations first woman to serve as Speaker of the House, and to the three statesmen, who happen also to be black, serving as congressional committee chairs in the next Congress.

Now if we can return the Supreme Court respecting the US Constitution, we will be moving solidly toward a strong nation once again.

God bless America and each of her citizens, especially the ones who voted and those in uniform!

Note: For those non-Texans, the President's remark "this isn't my first rodeo" (sic) above, in Texas refers to the serving of a sentence in the state prison, where the famous "Texas Prison Rodeo" provided gladiator entertainment for years.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.