Washington DC Message Boards

I just voted: and not for Rees

aglue

Rees..I just voted for everyone BUT you....

please go away now..

I guarantee that he won't go away quietly, or at all. He's psychologically incapable of that.

However, I'm pleased to report that intelligence and ethics have prevailed in this particular political race. With 65% of the vote counted at 10:30 PM, a whopping 15 people - well below 1%- of voters had made the mistake of selecting Rees in this Ward 3 Primary.

Compared to more than 3800 for Cheh.

FRD lost his first two elections and became US President.

JFK lost his first election but became a US Senator and US President.

LBJ lost his first three elections and became US Senator and US President.

Nixon lost his first election .... ditto.

Bill Clinton lost his first election and became US President.

GW Bush lost his first two elections and became US President.

So what does everyone think about Mary Cheh?

DEM - WARD THREE MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL 17/17 100.00%

Bill Rice 888 6.53%

Paul Strauss 1,987 14.60%

Jonathan Rees 29 0.21%

Sam Brooks 1,107 8.13%

Erik S. Gaull 962 7.07%

Eric Goulet 469 3.45%

Cathy Wiss 1,089 8.00%

Mary M. Cheh 6,006 44.13%

Robert Gordon 1,060 7.79%

Write In, if any 12 0.09%

Total... 13,609 100.00%

Vincent Gray before endorsing Robert Gordon said that while Mary Cheh has a lot of appeal, she would probably prove in time to be a great disappointment to the voters of ward 3; That council members like Barry, Brown, Evans and others will chew her alive; and that she will not be able to get much done because of her greenhorn status.

After Gray said such in public, he tossed his support to Robert Gordon.

So what does everyone think about Mary Cheh?

DEM - WARD THREE MEMBER OF THE COUNCIL 17/17 100.00%

Bill Rice 888 6.53%

Paul Strauss 1,987 14.60%

Jonathan Rees 29 0.21%

Sam Brooks 1,107 8.13%

Erik S. Gaull 962 7.07%

Eric Goulet 469 3.45%

Cathy Wiss 1,089 8.00%

Mary M. Cheh 6,006 44.13%

Robert Gordon 1,060 7.79%

Write In, if any 12 0.09%

Total... 13,609 100.00%

And you will note that Gordon didn't even carry his own precinct 50. A lot of good that did him. I hope Vince Gray proves to be a worthy Council Chair, but I highly doubt he said that Mary Cheh would prove in time to be a disappointment. That would not be a way to demonstrate leadership on the Council, or a way to graciously welcome a new council member who basically won in a rout.

I think Mary Cheh's win shows a few things.

1) Someone can run a clean, honest campaign the old fashioned way, door to door campaigning, meet and greets with small groups of people, good showings at public forums and good interviews with endorsing entities and media outlets. The combination of word of mouth and broad media interest was too much for the other candidates to catch up to.

2) That someone can stake out opinions with convictions on issues, while unpopular to segments of the voting public, shows backbone. Mary has promised to represent the best interests of Ward 3, but that doesn't mean catering to the squeaky wheels, as most Advisory Neighborhood Commissions have tended to cater to. I think Marc Fisher said it best, "An easy, dominating win for Mary Cheh, with 46 percent of the vote so far in a nine-way race. That's a powerful endorsement by the silent, pro-development majority against the NIMBYs and suburban wannabes who have fought against transit-oriented development around Metro stations".

The sleazy and desparate attempts to discredit and malign Ms. Cheh down the stretch did nothing more than embolden the quiet majority to put her in office in convincing manner.

3) While money is important, it isn't king. Cheh was vastly out raised and spent by both Rice and Strauss. At least Strauss made a respectable showing at the polls. Rice and his campaign seemed more like a characature out of The Simpsons. The outrageous automated calls down the stretch were simply desparate and annoying.

Indeed, this sounds more like sour grapes on the part of Mr. Rees, who, much to my surprise, received more votes than I was anticipating.

B. Frank

Vincent Gray before endorsing Robert Gordon said that while Mary Cheh has a lot of appeal, she would probably prove in time to be a great disappointment to the voters of ward 3; That council members like Barry, Brown, Evans and others will chew her alive; and that she will not be able to get much done because of her greenhorn status.

After Gray said such in public, he tossed his support to Robert Gordon.

Bfrank,

You are missing a point about Vincent Gray or many.

Gray still wants that new hospital east of the River.

Gray does not want that $1 billion to be given to the schools until DC gets control over the schools from Congress.

Gray was a bit heavy in his support and wording favoring Gordon over Cheh.

Gray was being backed by Herb Miller and his friends, and they funded most of the attacks against Cheh via Rice and others, and I suspect that Gray will give Cheh no committees but keep her in the back drop of all council matters and maybe try to trip her so in 2010 she can be replaced by another Herb Miller ally.

It has nothing to do with all you said no matter how valid what you say is but many council members infight all the time.

And you will note that Gordon didn't even carry his own precinct 50. A lot of good that did him. I hope Vince Gray proves to be a worthy Council Chair, but I highly doubt he said that Mary Cheh would prove in time to be a disappointment. That would not be a way to demonstrate leadership on the Council, or a way to graciously welcome a new council member who basically won in a rout.

I think Mary Cheh's win shows a few things.

1) Someone can run a clean, honest campaign the old fashioned way, door to door campaigning, meet and greets with small groups of people, good showings at public forums and good interviews with endorsing entities and media outlets. The combination of word of mouth and broad media interest was too much for the other candidates to catch up to.

2) That someone can stake out opinions with convictions on issues, while unpopular to segments of the voting public, shows backbone. Mary has promised to represent the best interests of Ward 3, but that doesn't mean catering to the squeaky wheels, as most Advisory Neighborhood Commissions have tended to cater to. I think Marc Fisher said it best, "An easy, dominating win for Mary Cheh, with 46 percent of the vote so far in a nine-way race. That's a powerful endorsement by the silent, pro-development majority against the NIMBYs and suburban wannabes who have fought against transit-oriented development around Metro stations".

The sleazy and desparate attempts to discredit and malign Ms. Cheh down the stretch did nothing more than embolden the quiet majority to put her in office in convincing manner.

3) While money is important, it isn't king. Cheh was vastly out raised and spent by both Rice and Strauss. At least Strauss made a respectable showing at the polls. Rice and his campaign seemed more like a characature out of The Simpsons. The outrageous automated calls down the stretch were simply desparate and annoying.

Indeed, this sounds more like sour grapes on the part of Mr. Rees, who, much to my surprise, received more votes than I was anticipating.

B. Frank

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.