Washington DC Message Boards

Occupy DC - McPherson Square

Guest Luke

Journeying down what Occupy DC has named Gandhi Avenue rows of tents can be seen filling up the location. Many spaces are with painted with the occupants position in the movement. A mural of Dr. King was next to one with a peace sign and a tent made with food crates. People were playing guitars, painting pictures, and expressing there frustration with America.

I popped into several circles congregating around the General McPherson statue. A man with painted Greek Alpha and Omega symbols was discussing the lack of religion in the United States government. Another group of Islamic African Americans were venting their frustration of the institution they define as being made up of White men. It was amazing to see people being tolerant on heated issues.

I walked over to the larger tents to see what was going on. They reminded me of the set of the Mash TV show. There was a food tent, a first aid tent, a library, and a solar powered computer network tent for people to communicate back home. The impression is that Occupy DC is here to stay until something is resolved.

If your looking to voice your grievance, you are free to come put up a tent, make a sign, and or join the Occupy DC meeting that occurs every evening at 6 pm. The group has adopted a Quaker format where speaking during the Meeting is not conversational (no discussing, arguing the right or wrong, or saying whether you agree with the speaker), words spoken often speak directly to what someone else has been thinking about.

Guest TheSignsoftheTime

Will Occupy DC manifest tolerance and equanimity toward all? Will Occupy DC treat African Americans the same as Caucasians, Moslems, Jews, Hindus, Mormons, and other monotheistic faiths the same as Christians; women the same as men? Can we within and those without truly observe that there is no bigotry in Occupy DC? Have you heard racial or anti-Semitic jokes, racial or anti-Semitic slurs, and pejoratives, stereotypes of men, women, religions, races, and ethnic groups from another protestor? I have.

Guest Greenzen

Just made a post on the Occupy Wall Street Forum

http://occupywallst.org/forum/united-and-not-divided-challenge/

=================================================

United and Not Divided Challenge (User Submitted)

Posted Oct. 24, 2011, 7:15 p.m. EST (21 seconds ago) by Greenzen | edit | delete

I post that all members refrain from divisive issues of racial oppression. Rather focus in united issue of greed and class warfare.

I took my kids to Occupy McPherson square this Sunday afternoon. I saw a tent with an Gandhi avenue address. I wonder if they are getting into a mail system. The people tend to be very kind. Some of the occupiers invited my boy to carve pumpkins with their kids next to the General McPherson statue. Overall the appearance of the place looks about the same, although more hunkered down for the cold weather ahead.

Had an interesting conversation with the librarian at Occupy McPherson (Yes they have a library). He believes that outsourcing is not the reason we have unemployment. Rather it is technology that is replacing our workforce. I told him that I believe that both factors were at play. When the topic of currency manipulation came up, he explained that all banks are at fault and we should have no currency at all. Another woman joined in an explained that we should have multiple trade currencies not affiliated with banks. I asked her if she ever used Paypal. She stated that she knew of it and left the conversation.

I observed a group of senior citizens being given a tour of the area. Their church clothes stood out in a backdrop of people that have camped out for a few weeks. They seemed to enjoy the enthusiasm of the occupiers.

Guest Conspiracy_theory

I took my kids to Occupy McPherson square this Sunday afternoon. I saw a tent with an Gandhi avenue address. I wonder if they are getting into a mail system. The people tend to be very kind. Some of the occupiers invited my boy to carve pumpkins with their kids next to the General McPherson statue. Overall the appearance of the place looks about the same, although more hunkered down for the cold weather ahead.

Had an interesting conversation with the librarian at Occupy McPherson (Yes they have a library). He believes that outsourcing is not the reason we have unemployment. Rather it is technology that is replacing our workforce. I told him that I believe that both factors were at play. When the topic of currency manipulation came up, he explained that all banks are at fault and we should have no currency at all. Another woman joined in an explained that we should have multiple trade currencies not affiliated with banks. I asked her if she ever used Paypal. She stated that she knew of it and left the conversation.

I observed a group of senior citizens being given a tour of the area. Their church clothes stood out in a backdrop of people that have camped out for a few weeks. They seemed to enjoy the enthusiasm of the occupiers.

Here's a video i found...Hope U enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Occupy DC

Occupy Washington DC will hold a hearing on the economy for the 99% that will examine how to create a fair economy for all Americans.

The Occupied Hearing will contrast with hearings on Capitol Hill which are destined to enrich the 1% and protect major donors.

The Occupied Super Committee Hearing for the 99% will examine critical issues facing the economy and the federal budget. The hearing will include testimony from people with great understanding of the issues facing the country as well as comments from the 99% who are directly affected by the economy.

One week after the hearing, Occupy Washington DC will put forward proposals that should be enacted to fairly fix the economy -- these proposals should not be considered our demands as our demands are much more transformative than a short-term fix of the economy and budget.

Participants include:

Kevin Zeese an organizer of Occupy Washington, DC and co-director of It’s Our Economy and co-chair of Come Home America will discuss what the Super Committee is, where their campaign funding comes from and the limited policy choices they are considering. He will also describe why OccupyWashingtonDC is holding its own Occupied Hearing.

Andrew Fieldhouse of the Economic Policy Institute will discuss how to raise revenue through changes to the tax structure to create a more fair and progressive tax system that will raise sufficient revenue and help close the growing wealth divide.

Carl Conetta of the Project on Defense Alternatives will testify how to transition to a military and foreign policy that is more cooperative, uses more conflict resolution techniques and dramatically reduces military spending.

Kenneth Peres is an economist with the Communications Workers of America. Formerly, he served as economist for the Northern Cheyenne Tribe, the Montana House Committee on Economic Development and the Montana Alliance for Progressive Policy. Ken has held teaching positions at the University of Montana, St. John’s University, Chief Dull Knife College and the City University of New York.

Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy Research will examine the solvency of Social Security, how we can improve it and provide Americans with a secure retirement through lifting the tax cap and raising the payment levels to make it more fair and combat poverty.

Margaret Flowers an organizer of Occupy Washington DC and congressional fellow for Physicians for National Health Program will testify as to how national improved Medicare for all will benefit the economy, provide health care to all Americans and improve health care.

Gar Alperovitz a noted author and with the National Center for Economic and Security Alternatives will describe steps that the 99% can take right now to transition to a more democratized economy that gives individuals greater influence over and benefit from the economy and weakens the corporate stranglehold on the political process.

• 1 month later...
Guest Occupy DC

Occupy Phase II: Occupy Washington, DC Builds Foundation for the Future

OWDC Adds Two Houses While Continuing Freedom Plaza Occupation, Adds New Projects, Builds for Massive American Spring

Washington, DC: Occupy Washington, DC at Freedom Plaza announced today that it is expanding its efforts this winter and building toward a massive American Spring.

The Occupation announced adding two houses – the Peace House located near 12th and M, NW; and a house in historic Mt. Rainer, MD. People moving into the houses will be working on specific projects: the National Occupation of Washington, DC which begins on March 30, Occupy the Economy, and a television show, among other projects.

“When we called for the occupation of Freedom Plaza in early June, we said this occupation would be “the beginning.” We saw the occupation of Freedom Plaza as a tactic, much like a lunch counter sit-in or Freedom Ride during the civil rights movement,” said Margaret Flowers, MD one of the organizers of Occupy Washington, DC. “Now it is time for the Occupation to add new programs to build the movement so it is strong enough to end corporate-rule and shift power to the people.”

“The intent of Occupy the Economy is to spotlight alternative economic models that give power to workers. As 2012 is the international year of the co-op, we will be focusing on creating worker-owned co-operatives to provide income to occupiers and funding for the movement,” said attorney Kevin Zeese, also an organizer of Occupy Washington, DC.

The National Occupation of Washington, DC will bring occupiers from across the United States to the nation’s capital beginning on March 30. The planning group already includes people from across the country. The event will be a combination of education, music and resistance.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.