My Dog Is Dying

32 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Wilbur

Luke Wilbur

Administrator

• Eagle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts
  • Interests:My family, writing, photography, and my faith.

Posted 03 October 2005 - 11:04 AM

My dog, Wiley is dying. I have had him so long I thought this day would never come. It is so hard. I have a choice to give medication to make him not suffer or put him to sleep. I just don't know what to do. I love him so much.

Posted Image

Wiley has been DCpages mascot for a decade now. Those who knew him I just wanted to let you know.
One of many...

Luke Wilbur
Photo Journalist

Washington DC City Pages
This District's First Online Community
Established in 1994
Free and Open to All

Washington DC Gift Shop

white house christmas ornament

#2 Luke Wilbur

Luke Wilbur

Administrator

• Eagle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:21 PM

Wiley died this morning at 1:00 am. I am very upset, but I feel he has gone to a better place and is with my father. I will never forget the good times I had with him.
One of many...

Luke Wilbur
Photo Journalist

Washington DC City Pages
Established in 1994
Free and Open to All

Washington DC Gift Shop

#3 KH

KH
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:23 AM

Hey I'm new here, just wanted to offer my condolences, very sorry to hear about Wiley. He looks like he was a sweet guy. Take care of yourself and give yourself time to mourn. You'll feel better in the long run.

#4 Guest

• Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:31 PM

:( My lab is 14 and he is really sick tonight. I promised him I would hold him until his time. I took a short break but he's breathing is labored. I am very sad now.I have 4 other dogs but love them each in a special way but love them all the same. Does that make sense? His mom had cushings and was deaf, blind, etc. She was 15 when I gave her to St. Francis. Moe was the biggest out of 11 pups. I kept him.We had to feed him baby oatmeal as after he was weaned and on puppy chow, he was still hungry. He was so funny ! He would fight with my mop and try to kill it.
Sandy

#5 Soldier of God

Soldier of God
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2005 - 04:54 PM

14 Years is a good long life. I can tell you are a good person and had wonderful experiences with your dog. If you can post a picture of your dog up for everyone to remember. I said a prayer for you and your beloved pet.

#6 Kevin

Kevin
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:58 AM

My 12 year old Basset has been given 3 week to live (dying from Cancer) unless we spend about $2,500 for treatment. What would you do?

#7 LAW

LAW
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:05 AM

I would pay for the treatment for any member of my family (dogs included). What did the doctor say? How much longer would your Basset Hound live? Can you afford it?

#8 Kevin

Kevin
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:31 AM

Thanks for your feedback, the treatment could give him 1 to 2 more years, he also has a heart condition that could reduce that.

#9 Kevin

Kevin
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:51 AM

Sorry, missed the "Can you afford it" part. We not really, I guess if I tell my wife and kids no Xmas or somthing then maybe, but its going to be tough.

#10 Rebecca Pena

Rebecca Pena
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:57 AM

I'm just out of mind. I have had "Meesha" my siberian husky for 11 yrs. Last week I noticed she was eating and drinking less. This morning she's taken a little water, then vomited it. She's really weak and can't stand steady on her legs.
I have no money to take her to a vet. She won't bark, won't eat, she just looks at me. Any ideas on what it could be? Again, I have no money and it seems almost everying is about "money"

#11 Luke Wilbur

Luke Wilbur

Administrator

• Eagle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

Try giving Meesha boiled chicken and water. Nothing else.
One of many...

Luke Wilbur
Photo Journalist

Washington DC City Pages
Established in 1994
Free and Open to All

Washington DC Gift Shop

#12 Rebecca Pena

Rebecca Pena
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:47 AM

Last night, I gave her a tylenol with codeine, hoping she would sleep. She's not "eating" anything, I've tried my own table food, (she use to love that). I tried the chicken in every form. Meesha just turned her head the other way. She now just lays there, doesn't whimper at all, to indicate she's in pain. She does have a very sad look about her. She's taking little sips of water, but then throws up. She can no longer get herself up. I still pet her and talk to her, but all she does is look at me and then she looks away. She hears me crying, and then she'll try to move her head just a little bit. I got someone to help me turn her, as she'd been laying in the same position for hours. She's had no solid food in days. I can't imagine what could have happened to her. Is this the life span of a siberian? She's 11 years old and I understand this makes her 77 years old in her years? Could she be dying of old age? She's got the whole back yard to herself and it's a privacy fence, so I know no one poisoned her. I just don't understand, but I do know I'm losing her. I don't think I'll ever own another pet. It's too heart breaking

#13 linda

linda
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:07 AM

hello, my yellow lab is 15 and is deaf and blind. this morning i woke up to him barking so i went out to my backyard and looked. he was shaking and breathing horribly and i just dont know what to do? is he dying????????

#14 Rebecca Pena

Rebecca Pena
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

Luke:
Thanks for your time in giving me some info. Meesha passed on at 4:00 pm today.
The yard is very quiet now.

#15 Rebecca Pena

Rebecca Pena
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:21 PM

Linda:
I wish I could tell you something...
I just lost my Meesha an hour ago. She went gently. She'd already stopped eating and drinking, at the end, I tried giving her water with my hands, I sprinkled it on her mouth and she wouldn't open up for me. At the end she just spasmed a few seconds and then passed on. I am a total wreck right now. All the memories are flooding in......

#16 Luke Wilbur

Luke Wilbur

Administrator

• Eagle
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:02 AM

Take your lab to a vet immediately?
One of many...

Luke Wilbur
Photo Journalist

Washington DC City Pages
Established in 1994
Free and Open to All

Washington DC Gift Shop

#17 gabby

gabby
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

so sorry that soo many have lost their good pals.
i myself think that my 14 yrold miniature daschhund is dying. about an hr ago she started flinching funny and stretching out all fours. her head was kinnda bopping like someone with alzheimers. i think she may have had a stroke. she just laying on her blanket and is really nonrespponsive. i guess this may be it soo ill just wait.............

#18 Joanne

Joanne
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

Hi,
My husband and I have a little Shitzu with a grade 5 heart murmer and it is getting worst we dont expect him to be with us too much longer so we feel your pain and loss

Joanne

#19 stuiey

stuiey
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

i cant believe it!!my dog jj,who iis ten years old was diagnosed by a vet a week ago monday with a chest infection and given antbiotics,has now,9 days later been diagnosed by another vet who i and lucy[my fiancee of 9 years]rang at 02:30am 23/11/05 for an emergency callout/trip to the vets.we were told,after a consultation and xray that he had had a tuma in his abdomen for at least a few months,that had spread to his lungs.i`m not sure how i managed to stay upright apart from the table directly next to me which i put all of my weight on.i was then told that all i can do is give him 8 tablets of steroids/antibiotics for the rest of his short life that would enhance the quality of his life to the point that i have always got to decide when i think he has given up.i am being selfish but realistic,i want to say goodbye properly,and i want all the people that have been an important part of his life to say goodbye aswell.in short he is my best friend and i love him dearly and cannot begin to imagine life without him,but it will happen,and soon,and when that time comes i WILL know,and i have to love him enough to let him go.i heve borrowed a lot of money from my mum and i know that i am lucky to have this option ,but i have to pay it back,and do you know?it doesnt bother me.this isnt about money,its about my love and commitment to jj,and when the time comes i will love him enough to to let him go.i took that on the day I entered him into my life.when he gives up,iwill,but we`re fighters and we`ll fight together,for as log as we can.................................

#20 jennifer Needham

jennifer Needham
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:00 AM

Hi. I am starting to anticipate the end for my dog and am heartbroken for all of you with these stories. She is almost thirteen and seems great, but both of my parents have died recently and both were in there fifties. Addy seems to be fine, but I can't even begin to fathom losing her too. By the way, all of you out there, little Addy was practically dying about six months ago, because I had kenneled her so long to go home for the loss of my family, and guess what saved her? Baby food! She looked like she wouldn't see another day and now acts three years old at almost thirteen. I know none of us want to bury our buddies but it is a shorter life which is natural for them. But if baby food can buy them a few more happy years, what the hell? P.S. Don't buy the ones with fruit. Addy is all about the meat and veggie gerber foods. And they're only fifty cents. Good luck everyone and not to sound corny....but...don't cry because it's gone, smile because you had it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament