2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament

1992 Honda Accord: Wont Start In Rain/damp Weather

18 replies to this topic

#1 Brian

Brian
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2005 - 07:53 AM

manual trans

If the car is in the sun all day and heats up the car starts and runs perfect. But if it is lightly cold or damp or rainy and wet out it wont start at all.

Sometimes if i try long enough ill get it to kick over like it's starting for a sec and than it instantly sputters to die. Sometimes it does this and i pound the gas pumpin it and it starts up.

Ive noticed also that if it is running and it is a bit cold or damp it will sputter when accelerating. Like it hesitates to take off when your in lower gears and hitting the gas.

any help would be great because im somewhat broke and this is keeping me from getting to places i need to be

white house christmas ornament

#2 SBS

SBS
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:58 AM

I'm having the same problem on a 1998 Jetta. Car works fine in dry weather, it just wont start in the rain. After the last few days of rain, it seems pretty wet at this point.

#3 BrooklynzzFinest

BrooklynzzFinest
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:40 AM

Im having EXACTLY the same problem with my 97 Jetta.

The guy in the service dept @ VW told me to replace the ignition coil, but its $120 and APPEARS to be riveted in. (Its not held in place by normal screws as far as I can tell).

Thought I found an article that says you may need a new distibutor cap ($18). So im going to try that first.

Hope this helps. If It works ill report back and let ya know.

#4 Guest

• Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

it might be a problem with your distributor cap. if it's loose, your car will have trouble in wet conditions.

#5 SBS905

SBS905
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

what article did you find about the distributor caps.

#6 Guest

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:16 AM

I have a 92 accord that is manual and is doing EXACTLY the same thing as we speak. I couldnt get it to start so I googled for "honda accord wont start" and this thread was #1 B) I am going to go mess with and possibly replace the distributor cap and see what it does.

#7 Guest

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:21 AM

I made the last post and just wanted to add it only does this in the rain

#8 Guest

• Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:24 AM

Can anyone tell me where the main relay on a 92 accord LX 5 speed is? Thanks

#9 Guest

• Guests

Posted 13 October 2005 - 04:02 PM

ok I found the main relay but I dont know if thats the problem? I ended up realizing the check engine light is on so I pulled the ecu from the passanger foot rest area and removed the cover. I was told there is an LED that will blink to display the code but I didnt see any light come on in the ecu??? I am going to borrow a obd1 scanner tommorow and try to pull the code.

If the main relay on a honda is bad would it prevent the fuel pump from turning on? Also could moisture affect the main relay or just heat?

Thanks

#10 Guest

• Guests

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:18 AM

I made the last 4 posts. I finally figured out why my 92 accord wouldt start. The ECU got wet!!! the weather stripping leaks so there was some water in the car, but even more in the trunk. I parked it facing downhill and the water ran foward and into the ECU which is on the passanger side floorboard footrest. I pulled the ECU out and dried it all out and the car started again after some tinkering and ran fine. I had intentions to shopvac the water out but my shopvac died so I tried to drive it to the car wash to use the vacums there. I made it a few blocks and when I hit the brakes I watched the ECU go swimming again and the car died :angry: :angry: So tonight I will pull the ECU and repeat again but this time I will get all the water out of the car before I drive. I just thought I would share for the people having similair problems.

I also found the blue connector that you jump to display CEL codes I asked about earlier. Its under the passage dash behind the kick panel just in fornt of the passanger door where the passangers right foot would rest.

#11 SBS905

SBS905
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:27 AM

Hey-

For what it's worth, the guys from NPR's Car Talk have this on their website. Cartalk

Seems like a possibility. I'll have to give it a try. My jetta is running fine for now. Looks like rain this weekend. Hopefully, not as bad as what we've had recently.

#12 Tony P. Hilton NY

Tony P. Hilton NY
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:05 AM

Can anyone tell me where the main relay on a 92 accord LX 5 speed is? Thanks

It is under the dash to the left of the steering wheel behind the cruse control box.Remove the cc box and the relay is right behind it.

#13 joel

joel
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

I'm having the same problem on a 1998 Jetta. Car works fine in dry weather, it just wont start in the rain. After the last few days of rain, it seems pretty wet at this point.

im having the same prollem too i have a 96 jetta gls nd i took it for a car wash and the next day it wouldnt start but then i kept trying to start it nd it cranked just fine then i turned it off and it wouldnt stat again i dnt kno wats the prollem

#14 Shade Tree Mechanic

Shade Tree Mechanic
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

My money is on an improperly sealed distributor cap or something very close to that; maybe cruddy or worn rotor or points inside distributor cap.
It's frustrating, I know.
Good luck.

im having the same prollem too i have a 96 jetta gls nd i took it for a car wash and the next day it wouldnt start but then i kept trying to start it nd it cranked just fine then i turned it off and it wouldnt stat again i dnt kno wats the prollem

#15 Gerald

Gerald
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2010 - 01:02 AM

I made the last 4 posts. I finally figured out why my 92 accord wouldt start. The ECU got wet!!! the weather stripping leaks so there was some water in the car, but even more in the trunk. I parked it facing downhill and the water ran foward and into the ECU which is on the passanger side floorboard footrest. I pulled the ECU out and dried it all out and the car started again after some tinkering and ran fine. I had intentions to shopvac the water out but my shopvac died so I tried to drive it to the car wash to use the vacums there. I made it a few blocks and when I hit the brakes I watched the ECU go swimming again and the car died :angry: :angry: So tonight I will pull the ECU and repeat again but this time I will get all the water out of the car before I drive. I just thought I would share for the people having similair problems.

I also found the blue connector that you jump to display CEL codes I asked about earlier. Its under the passage dash behind the kick panel just in fornt of the passanger door where the passangers right foot would rest.

My 92 Honda Accord EX was parked face/front end facing in slot 1 of parking lot next to Bldg that recieved the most water on Fri. Water was half up to front tire but didn't appear to reach inside from outside. Once I climbed in through back seat since water was too high to walk to key, I cranked it and backed out of slot. That's when I noticed was slide from front passenger side to rear. Wasn't much but it wasn't a little either. I got a half mile down road and stop at stop sign. Car cut off and would not start. After about 2mins it crank back up and I managed to get it home after 2 more cutoffs. The next morning I opened the Distributor Cap/Rotor but didn't detect any water. After I cleaned a little of the corrosion off and put the Cap back on, the car started and I drove straght to the hobby shop by staying on the gas and running a stop sign. I made it into a stall and of course it cutoff and wouldn't start. We got Error code 15. We're now checking the ECU. It had a few minor drips of water but does show it did in fact get wet. Hopefully after drying it out the car will be fine. We'll see. I have a new ICM/Ignitor on order just in case.

#16 Nick

Nick
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

Where was your weather stripping deteriorating? I am having the same problem with all the rain here in DC this week. my 92 Accord would just crank and not turn over. I finally got it to turn over and drove to work and parked in a garage. Hopefully it will turn over after work. Also, is the starter not an issue with this problem? Thanks for any help.

#17 sai

sai
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

I have a 96 accord it wont start in the morning but it will start during the day just fine I replaced the cap the coal the roter in the distributer and the ignition control modular and it still has the same problem so I took it to a shop today cuz now im clueless it sucks trying to find a ride to work at 4 in the morning. fml.

#18 Ruben Morales

Ruben Morales
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hello all,
I am no mechanic nor am i a pro at cars. But after reading a few forums one day of a similiar issue i was having with my 90 accord i found out that the reason my check engine light would come on everytime in the rain was because water would collect on passenger side from what i am not sure where. What i did was took the ecu out of the car and opened it up. I noticed that in the connection piece it had hard water collection in it. Bought a used ecu and my problem with the check engine light stopped. I am assuming reading these posts that anything related to your car collecting water and car not starting check you ecu out.

My other issue is that when it rains the car when in low gear seems like it dies. You have your foot on accelerator and nothing is happening. Sometimes easing off it and stepping on it easy gets it back in gear. Now keep in mind this only happens when it rains. anyone have any clue as to wtf?

#19 Jaime

Jaime
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yes, my 92 Honda Accord had the same problem after I replaced the Cap and the Rotor, but as I didn't tighten one of the three screws on the cap, some humidity caused the problem.

So if you are having this problem, check the distributor cap for wear (the inside contacts), cracks, broken, cracked or damaged gasket or loose screws that allows humidity into the distributor, and check the rotor for wear or damage.

If none of those are a problem, then check the Coil and the spark plug wires.

Good luck!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament