2016 White House Christmas Ornament Collection

1990 Honda Accord Won't Start

97 replies to this topic

#41 samsam

samsam
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:15 AM

its as if the flywheel wont turn!!!,,, does anyone have any idea why the flywheel wont turn,,, if u have any tips or any info at all, email me at samsonite2k3@yahoo.com thank you :)>-

white house christmas ornament

#42 envytea

envytea
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

I am a bit PO'd....
I was having the problems described in my last post, so I put in a new ignition coil. The friggin thing ran for a while really well, but now it is effed-up again. It was in great shape for about 20 minutes though. Now, I think it may be the voltage regulator or something. I am going to mess with the main relay and look into prices for a voltage regulator. Does anyone have one for sale?

#43 Rick

Rick
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:51 AM

I have read all these problems, and none really apply to me. When I turn the key, NOTHING happens. It doesn't click, it doesn't do anything. It's a standard, so I can push start it. It's a 91 honda accord 2.2 litre. It runs fine when I push start it. I thought maybe it was the starter/cylanoid but I have replaced the starter 3 times, and it didn't fix it. I was hoping it would be something witht he relay, or possibly ignition coil. I've had it looked at, but it was by a co-workers brother who is a mechanic, but not electrical. And I don't know anything about electrical problems. If someone could let me know something, any possible ideas. I would appreciate it.

#44 Rick

Rick
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:54 AM

the starter would only make 1 click sound,,

now all i hear is the starter making 1 click sound again,,,,

That's exactly how mine started acting. I could click it a few times, then it would start. Then, in time, it quick even clicking. Any ideas?

#45 Guest

• Guests

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:25 AM

[COLOR=purple][FONT=Geneva][B]

Hi Everyone-
I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX and recently I was out and stopped at a store and when I came out to leave my car would not start. It just turned over but didn't fire. I finally let it sit and my husband and I went back later and the car started. We got home and thought that everything was ok and the car didn't start later that evening. We thought that we would have a mechanic look at it and he told us that it was the distributor (?) We had that repaired and 1 week later the car does the same thing. The car will not start at all now...what could it be? Main relay?? I am not sure what it is....can anyone help out?

if you find out whats wrong email me please my car does the same thing squad_up04@yahoo.com

#46 Michael Reaves

Michael Reaves
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 11:25 AM

I have a 1991 Honda Accord Wagon. I haven't been driving it much lately but try to drive it at least two or three times a month for the last four months. About two months ago I noticed that it was getting harder to start. I thought maybe the fact the sometimes it would sit for two weeks was the problem. I noticed that stepping on the gas made it harder to start. It would start when I turned the engine over and lay off the gas.

However, now it will not start. I drove the car and it sat for about 10 days. The next time I tried to start it, the engine would turn but it would not start. Stepping on the accelerator makes no difference. I have owned this car for 7 years and it has about 186k miles. Water pump. timing belt, plugs and wires were replaced about 30 months and 50k miles ago. PCV valve replaced about 28 months ago.

Until July of this year I was driving this car about 2500 miles/month. I have only put about 1500 miles on the car since July. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions before I give up and have it towed to a garage?

#47 Richard

Richard
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hello, off the subject Ive got a question for you all. Ive got an 89 civic and the car wont run unless the ignition key is held almost to the starting position. Is that a bad key and tumbler?

#48 jspecvtec

jspecvtec
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:56 PM

All these symptoms lead me to believe it is the ignition coil! I work on honda and acura and I have replaced atleast 5 ciols this summer! ;)

#49 CJH

CJH
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

Great resource. My wife's 200,000 mile 1990 Accord wouldn't start (dead of winter as is usually my luck). Drove to her work, no spark, cleaned inside of distributor cap, started right up! Bought new cap & rotor (no idea how old it was). Put on, no start, put old back on, no start, pulled a plug out, looked good, left plug out to check if it was sparking, motor started & ran with three plugs!

Put plug back in, no start. Thinking amplifier or computer, crap, visions of $$$ flying out of my wallet filled the cold winter air. Read this post & said must try it. Tough spot to get for me: 6'-4" with broad shoulders. Got relay reflowed solder & it started right up!!

Thanks to all for their posts!! Saved me many dollars & alot of freezing work in the driveway. The though of calling a tow truck for a car that I drove home & paying someone to fix it, broke my pride.

These Hondas are well built cars, having work on many different makes over the years, I am very impressed ith Honda's qulity & attention to detail. All except putting that important relay in such a difficult spot.

#50 jake

jake
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

okay here's the problem is that my honda accord LX won't start. it will crank and crank but it will not ignite. it is a manual and it also does have 186 thousand miles if someone could help me that would be great
thank you in advance in case i forget

sounds like your fuel pumps shot. To check it turn your key to the on position but dont start the car, listen closely, for a quiet hum in the rear of the car. (make sure you its not the antenna you hear). If you hear the hum your pumps good and its probably the relay. If you do not hear the hum, then you will most likely have to replace your fuel pump.To check your relay, turn your key to the on position as mentioned before, as soon as you turn it you should hear a click under the dash. That is your relay, and abour 2 seconds later it should click once more. No click, relay is bad. Clicks relay is good. But if its cranking over, and not catching. More than likely fuel pump. Thats just my 2 cents..........hope this helps ya.

#51 Guest

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:48 PM

I have read all these problems, and none really apply to me. When I turn the key, NOTHING happens. It doesn't click, it doesn't do anything. It's a standard, so I can push start it. It's a 91 honda accord 2.2 litre. It runs fine when I push start it. I thought maybe it was the starter/cylanoid but I have replaced the starter 3 times, and it didn't fix it. I was hoping it would be something witht he relay, or possibly ignition coil. I've had it looked at, but it was by a co-workers brother who is a mechanic, but not electrical. And I don't know anything about electrical problems. If someone could let me know something, any possible ideas. I would appreciate it.

It sounds to be one of 2 things points mainly towards the ignition coil, but before you leave the starter out check all of the wires on the starter, make sure they are all connected and that the ground is in place. But if it was done right the wires should be good and its giving all the symptoms of an ignition coil. so get that checked out.

#52 Guest

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:07 PM

Hi, I've had the same problem with my 90 Accord LX and I'm going nuts. I've replaced the battery, the battery cables, the spark plugs, the distributor and now the MAIN RELAY and my car still won't start!!! I can hear the fuel pump come on so I'm getting really frustrated. Anyway, I found great instructions for installing the main relay this morning and I did the job in less than ten minutes. The only trouble is the TIGHT squeeze under the dash. Anyway the website is:

http://home.earthlin...o_MainRelay.htm

If anyone has any other ideas for me....drop a line. Thanks.

At times even when you hear the fuel pump it doesnt mean its working, (dont forget if your radios on you also have a power antenna. just in case) So a good thing to check after everything else youve done would be the fuel pump. Try turning over the car, then remove one of the spark plugs, see if the plug is wet. If it is wet, then you are getting fuel. vice versa. If your getting fuel, but no start, while the plugs out go ahead and check for spark. Just place the tip of the plug on the engine block and see if it sparks. if you got no spark if you have changed plugs distributor and relay, check out the ignition coil. The 90 - 93 models are known for ignition coil problems, vacuum leaks, and relays. And alot of fuel pumps need replaced every 3-5 years.

#53 Guest

• Guests

Posted 28 December 2005 - 10:17 PM

i have the same no start problem with my 97 accord, i'm interested in finding a new main relay. my parts store says there are none made for my year, anyone know where a great place to get one, or info on soldering the old one?

If i remember correctly the reason they do not make one for you year is because it is integrated with the ECU. and as always in the newer models honda fixed all the little bugs, and ive heard almost nothing of bad solders on main relays. Usually when they dont make the part its not the problem. ;) my input

#54 Guest

• Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:43 AM

The coil. It is in the distributor.

My 90 Accord LX would start, run awhile, then die. After awhile it would start, run awhile, then die. Finally it wouldn't start. It turned out to be the coil. My daughter was having the same problems with her 91 LX. It was the coil. Good luck!

This was back in october is the car still running great, because mine did the same thing this month and we have replaced the coil and the module and it was running fine for about 2 1/2 weeks and this morning it started the same thing on my way to work.
It only takes about 5 minutes of being completely shut off and then it will start again but it dies the first couple of times that you try and start it.
Can Anyone recommend a good next step?

#55 Guest

• Guests

Posted 29 December 2005 - 06:11 AM

Have you tried your ignition module or your actual ignition?

#56 Julian

Julian
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:24 PM

You will probably have figured this out by now. Your car engine has very low compression due to worn piston rings and hence severe crankcase blowby. Rebuild the Motor. I have been reading in Automotive forums for years and I am amazed at the lack automobile knowledge out there. The infernal combustion
engine is so simple. No wonder we will never get beyond it! :ph34r:

#57 Julian

Julian
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:27 PM

You will probably have figured this out by now. Your car engine has very low compression due to worn piston rings and hence severe crankcase blowby. Rebuild the Motor. I have been reading in Automotive forums for years and I am amazed at the lack automobile knowledge out there. The infernal combustion
engine is so simple. No wonder we will never get beyond it! :ph34r:

#58 hec

hec
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:12 AM

Good morning all,

I own a honda accord 90 lx, and having the same problem like most of you, car was running great last night until walmart, started up after the 4th try and carried on. Now this morning cold whether indeed the car refused to start. Fuel is getting in cuz now I gotta do an oil change and sparkplug change ahahaha. But I stuck a flathead in the ignition wires laid flat over the bolt I saw no spark. The dist was changed last month I'd find it odd for it brake down. Also theres a brand new ecu installed. Ran a multi meter test all proper amperage, check the fuses.

So now i'm wondering what else to do after i changed the plug and the oil if she wont go.

#59 hec

hec
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

:D it's the coil i had the dsame problem over the week end change the coil and it fired right up

#60 Andy

Andy
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:08 AM

Dave,
I do not think it is the starter. I think an earlier post was right. The problem most likely is the timing belt
needs to be replaced. This is common with these types of cars.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament