1990 Honda Accord Won't Start

97 replies to this topic

#21 dawgpound84

dawgpound84
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2005 - 11:24 PM

[COLOR=purple][FONT=Geneva][B]

Hi Everyone-
I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX and recently I was out and stopped at a store and when I came out to leave my car would not start. It just turned over but didn't fire. I finally let it sit and my husband and I went back later and the car started. We got home and thought that everything was ok and the car didn't start later that evening. We thought that we would have a mechanic look at it and he told us that it was the distributor (?) We had that repaired and 1 week later the car does the same thing. The car will not start at all now...what could it be? Main relay?? I am not sure what it is....can anyone help out?

I had two similar problems: the first one was the car would turn over but not fire up..problem was a bad distribuor . Second problem i had was the battery light would light up a few times and then it cleared. The lights kept getting dimmer and then the car sputtered to a stop. had to recharge the battery and then limped back home. The problem was the original Alternator had finally gave up the ghost after 250k miles! I have hvae now gone through two alternators in the past two years! these after market units do not seem to have eneough juice!

Does anyone know what size ( Amps) alternator the original 91 accord had?

white house christmas ornament

#22 JetJumper

JetJumper
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:48 AM

Hi, I've had the same problem with my 90 Accord LX and I'm going nuts. I've replaced the battery, the battery cables, the spark plugs, the distributor and now the MAIN RELAY and my car still won't start!!! I can hear the fuel pump come on so I'm getting really frustrated. Anyway, I found great instructions for installing the main relay this morning and I did the job in less than ten minutes. The only trouble is the TIGHT squeeze under the dash. Anyway the website is:

http://home.earthlin...o_MainRelay.htm

If anyone has any other ideas for me....drop a line. Thanks.

Hey, I have the same problem as you. I replaced Main relay, distrib, wires, everything!!! I am getting lots of Fuel, I have lots of spark, but it will not fire up. I have been looking around this entire week and I still have yet to figure out something. My last option sounds like replacing the Timing belt. But thats not an easy job! Anyone know an easy way to do that on these cars?!

Thanks!

#23 vikki619

vikki619
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

you mean im not the only one!?!?!
92 honda accord lx. 2 door

however props to Ms. (AKA MZHonda)
for last year instead of work being 35 miles rount trip working with in 10 miles round trip right now mz honda has a proud 253.000 miles. got in 96 at 58, 000 for 8.500 LOVER HER and has giving that extra just another 90days/3 monts for the last year prior to last.

glad to of known someone that told me my gets me to work gets me home lunch not including lunch. my honda's fule issue for not starting was not the pump, but the votage.
Not recommending but what we did. was alligator clip one end the other with the clip that slides like the one over speaker wires thicker wire (lower gage?) and it usually gives it enough kick to start.

but it seems from my readings that the relay chip? replaced could resove this? all this time and for the new not fixed by traditional methods issue?

WHERE TO FIND the part. I have spent in gas what i could have just purchased from an auto parts place 16-20 bucks for a detailed car book. sorry about the name of details lacking. ut anytime im at a location i ususlly browse the book for tips, tricks or reference

ABOUT Thoose interior door handles?

#24 NK

NK
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2005 - 12:17 PM

I have the same problem. My '90 Accord won't start when it is hot. This is happening for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday, I changed the air filter, spark plugs and the wires, the distributor cap and the rotor inside it. After changing all this, I cranked up my car and it started just fine. I kept it running and after 3-4 minutes it just died. It was yesterday evening and not "hot" at all. I've been trying to start it ever since but it just cranks but won't start. Now, I'm not sure if I have a bad main relay or something else is a problem. I tried listening to the main relay "click" after setting the key in the ON position and I can hear it clicking. Some people mention that if you can hear your main relay "click" then the main relay is fine. I'm totally confused and not sure what needs to be done. At this point my car doesn't start at all, no matter how cold or hot it is outside. Please help.

#25 ken james

ken james
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2005 - 03:24 PM

i love to buy ngk spark plug in part number bkr5e-11 and bkr6es-11 and i want 4 per pack and i need up to 1000 pack if you have it in stock just get back to me with the total cost and the shipping cost via usps global express to lagos nigeria and i will like you to reply me at my fax in 2125537348 or my email kenjames01@yahoo.com so that i can reply you with my credit card number for the payment okay.

best regard
Ken James.

#26 Wayne

Wayne
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2005 - 12:39 PM

The coil. It is in the distributor.

My 90 Accord LX would start, run awhile, then die. After awhile it would start, run awhile, then die. Finally it wouldn't start. It turned out to be the coil. My daughter was having the same problems with her 91 LX. It was the coil. Good luck!

#27 STEVEN KANTOR

STEVEN KANTOR
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:19 AM

i have the same no start problem with my 97 accord, i'm interested in finding a new main relay. my parts store syays there are none made for my year, anyone know where a great place to get one, or info on soldering the old one?

#28 Greg

Greg
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2005 - 03:53 PM

I've had the same problem as everyone else. I've got a 90 Accord LX and the other day I left my house, it drove two blocks and then died. It hasn't started since. I've replaced the distributor, ignition coil, and spark plugs but I'm still not getting any spark. I'm getting fuel and the battery and ignition switch seem fine. But I live in upstate New York where it's been pretty cold - could this still be the main relay?

#29 Greg

Greg
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

I replaced the main relay today and...
It wasn't the main realy. I've got a good starter, battery, new distributer, new igniter, new ignition coil, and now new main relay and I'm still getting no spark. The only thing left, I think, is the computer. Anyone have any ideas?

#30 Malbojia

Malbojia
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:51 AM

Good morning all,

I own a honda accord 90 lx, and having the same problem like most of you, car was running great last night until walmart, started up after the 4th try and carried on. Now this morning cold whether indeed the car refused to start. Fuel is getting in cuz now I gotta do an oil change and sparkplug change ahahaha. But I stuck a flathead in the ignition wires laid flat over the bolt I saw no spark. The dist was changed last month I'd find it odd for it brake down. Also theres a brand new ecu installed. Ran a multi meter test all proper amperage, check the fuses.

So now i'm wondering what else to do after i changed the plug and the oil if she wont go.

#31 Laurence

Laurence
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

I have been having a similar problem with my honda accord 90. If i have not driven my car in a day or so, this is what happens; It runs for about 5-10 mins, then it starts slowing down and comes to a complete stop. The engine and gas light come on, and i have to keep trying to start my car and i always have a had time getting it to start up. Sometimes it starts up again and cuts right back off, but when it comes back on it runs good for the rest of the day. I park my car in the garage daily so that the sun will not have a major effect on it. My dad suggested using better gas for the car, but i think that it is something internal that is making it stop when it has been dormant for a day or so. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#32 Rene

Rene
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:25 AM

This may not help but, I thought I'd express my frustrations with my 91 accord LX mt. I got in the car two days ago and the car just cranked. No sound of a attempt to ignite the fuel or a stumble. Just the starter whining away. I pulled the starter and the teeth were worn pretty well (200+k on the odo.) I put a new one in and the same struggles persisted.Pulled the valve cover off to verify the timing belt was still on and tight. pulled the cap, checked the coil, Igniter is new so I didn't dwell on that. Checked the fuses, found the main relay and still no positive effect. I managed to break my pcv valve in the process.Oh I did check the flywheel teeth and it ckecks out fine. So, finding no magical on/off switch, I jus put the key in the ignition an turned it. Guess what? It friigin started! It took more than just an average attempt by my new starter. it gurgled burped and finally a plume of smoke arose from the arse of my car! I let it run for awhile so it would get nice and hot and restarted it. I don't know what I did. But I did something. That's the frustrating part. Now tho parts shop to replace the pcv valve. Car runs erratic unless it plugged a little.

#33 DIY

DIY
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2005 - 12:54 PM

I just wanted to add about the MAIN RELAY, Same problem
no matter hot or cold the car would just crank no start.
Would work for weeks then no start. After a fuel filter, pump
cap, rotor and plugs, same thing. !@#$%^. So I followed a
link and resoldered every connection on the relay pcb not knowing
which may be the problem one. Its been running for bout a month,
No issues since......... I dont plan on replacing the relay anytime soon.
Anyway you can get them for $50-80 on the web.

#34 envytea

envytea
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:47 AM

My 1990 Accord EX starts, but dies after a few minutes. I have decided that it is the ignition coil creating the problem, and have tested the resistance through the coil. From what I have read on other websites, the coil too can change in performance with varying temperatures. My Chilton says that the resistance should be 12000-17000 ohms or so. I am reading 0 resistance. I have ordered a new coil, and I am going to replace it this week. If this does not work, I am going to go after the main relay. Thank you everyone for your ideas here. It is really a relief to know there are others trying to tackle similar problems. I'll keep you all posted.

#35 bill

bill
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:39 PM

Does the distributor and timing belt turn when this relay is bad?
Please email me and let me know. Thanks Bill
carcass59701@yahoo.com

#36 bill

bill
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:43 PM

Does the distributor and timing belt turn when this relay is bad?
Please email me and let me know. Thanks Bill
carcass59701@yahoo.com

I meant when the main relay is bad!! And where exactly is it located?(Main Relay)

#37 bill

bill
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2005 - 08:52 PM

Hi, I've had the same problem with my 90 Accord LX and I'm going nuts.  I've replaced the battery, the battery cables, the spark plugs, the distributor and now the MAIN RELAY and my car still won't start!!!  I can hear the fuel pump come on so I'm getting really frustrated.  Anyway, I found great instructions for installing the main relay this morning and I did the job in less than ten minutes.  The only trouble is the TIGHT squeeze under the dash.  Anyway the website is: 

http://home.earthlin...o_MainRelay.htm

If anyone has any other ideas for me....drop a line.  Thanks.

Hey, I have the same problem as you. I replaced Main relay, distrib, wires, everything!!! I am getting lots of Fuel, I have lots of spark, but it will not fire up. I have been looking around this entire week and I still have yet to figure out something. My last option sounds like replacing the Timing belt. But thats not an easy job! Anyone know an easy way to do that on these cars?!

Thanks!

Have you taken the top part of the timing belt cover off(2 bolts) and checked to see if the belt turns when turn the motor over. If it is not the timing belt it may be a broken cam also, check that out.. Bill

#38 DIY

DIY
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 11:22 AM

MAIN RELAY vs TIMING BELT - I went with looking at the main relay because the car, 90 honda accord, ran very well when it did, Just occational not starting. If your
car hasent started in the last 50 or so tries it propably wont start and the timing is way off or the belt is broken. Another MYTH is if you hear the relay it is working.....
BULL!@#$%^. Mine was still bad. Resoldering fixed it. No more issues. The Main Relay is a double relay that applies power to fuel pump and computer. If the car is cranking your timing belt should also be turning regardless of what condition the relay is in good or bad.

Heres a simple test that worked for me in the last ours of my madness. While the key is turned and cranking the car, unplug and replug in the relay a few times. Just
messing with it if its a bad solder joint will get the car running. If it starts relace or resolder the relays board. - Good Luck

#39 vast01

vast01
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:32 AM

Here is something to think about, i am having the same problem as everyone else here, in my 94 EX 4door, and when the problem happens, if i keep the key in START position, it stays started. FRUSTRATING. Is this the same for the rest of you?

#40 samsam

samsam
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:12 AM

my problem isnt exactly like y'llz,,, but in my 1990 accord ex auto,,as i was rollin,,, the car just suddenly died,, i thought it was because it was too hott,, so i pushed it into a parkining lot,, and then added more water,, gave it time to cool off,, and it started again,then as i was leaving the parkin lot,, it died on me again, but this time,, the starter would only make 1 click sound,, and not crank the engine,, so i took out the starter,, got it tested,,and they said it worked just fine, so i reinstalled it,,, same thing,, so i hit it with a hammer a few times,,then it started to spin,, but it wouldnt crank the engine,, all u hear is a whinning/spinning sound coming from the starter,, i took it out,, got it tested again and it again said it passed,, so i bought a new one anywayz,, the battery is fine,, i treid to put it in,,, now all i hear is the starter making 1 click sound again,,,, all the teeth on the flywheel are just fine,,,, does anyone have any ideas,,thanx

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

2014 Warren G Harding Christmas Ornament