DC Message Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Westminster

1990 Honda Accord Won't Start

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I have read all these problems, and none really apply to me. When I turn the key, NOTHING happens. It doesn't click, it doesn't do anything. It's a standard, so I can push start it. It's a 91 honda accord 2.2 litre. It runs fine when I push start it. I thought maybe it was the starter/cylanoid but I have replaced the starter 3 times, and it didn't fix it. I was hoping it would be something witht he relay, or possibly ignition coil. I've had it looked at, but it was by a co-workers brother who is a mechanic, but not electrical. And I don't know anything about electrical problems. If someone could let me know something, any possible ideas. I would appreciate it.

It sounds to be one of 2 things points mainly towards the ignition coil, but before you leave the starter out check all of the wires on the starter, make sure they are all connected and that the ground is in place. But if it was done right the wires should be good and its giving all the symptoms of an ignition coil. so get that checked out.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hi, I've had the same problem with my 90 Accord LX and I'm going nuts. I've replaced the battery, the battery cables, the spark plugs, the distributor and now the MAIN RELAY and my car still won't start!!! I can hear the fuel pump come on so I'm getting really frustrated. Anyway, I found great instructions for installing the main relay this morning and I did the job in less than ten minutes. The only trouble is the TIGHT squeeze under the dash. Anyway the website is:

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpkeefe/H...o_MainRelay.htm

If anyone has any other ideas for me....drop a line. Thanks.

At times even when you hear the fuel pump it doesnt mean its working, (dont forget if your radios on you also have a power antenna. just in case) So a good thing to check after everything else youve done would be the fuel pump. Try turning over the car, then remove one of the spark plugs, see if the plug is wet. If it is wet, then you are getting fuel. vice versa. If your getting fuel, but no start, while the plugs out go ahead and check for spark. Just place the tip of the plug on the engine block and see if it sparks. if you got no spark if you have changed plugs distributor and relay, check out the ignition coil. The 90 - 93 models are known for ignition coil problems, vacuum leaks, and relays. And alot of fuel pumps need replaced every 3-5 years.

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

i have the same no start problem with my 97 accord, i'm interested in finding a new main relay. my parts store says there are none made for my year, anyone know where a great place to get one, or info on soldering the old one?

If i remember correctly the reason they do not make one for you year is because it is integrated with the ECU. and as always in the newer models honda fixed all the little bugs, and ive heard almost nothing of bad solders on main relays. Usually when they dont make the part its not the problem. ;) my input

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

The coil. It is in the distributor.

My 90 Accord LX would start, run awhile, then die. After awhile it would start, run awhile, then die. Finally it wouldn't start. It turned out to be the coil. My daughter was having the same problems with her 91 LX. It was the coil. Good luck!

This was back in october is the car still running great, because mine did the same thing this month and we have replaced the coil and the module and it was running fine for about 2 1/2 weeks and this morning it started the same thing on my way to work.

It only takes about 5 minutes of being completely shut off and then it will start again but it dies the first couple of times that you try and start it.

Can Anyone recommend a good next step?

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

I have read all these problems, and none really apply to me. When I turn the key, NOTHING happens. It doesn't click, it doesn't do anything. It's a standard, so I can push start it. It's a 91 honda accord 2.2 litre. It runs fine when I push start it. I thought maybe it was the starter/cylanoid but I have replaced the starter 3 times, and it didn't fix it. I was hoping it would be something witht he relay, or possibly ignition coil. I've had it looked at, but it was by a co-workers brother who is a mechanic, but not electrical. And I don't know anything about electrical problems. If someone could let me know something, any possible ideas. I would appreciate it.

Have you tried your ignition module or your actual ignition?

Guest Julian   
Guest Julian

You will probably have figured this out by now. Your car engine has very low compression due to worn piston rings and hence severe crankcase blowby. Rebuild the Motor. I have been reading in Automotive forums for years and I am amazed at the lack automobile knowledge out there. The infernal combustion

engine is so simple. No wonder we will never get beyond it! :ph34r:

Guest Julian   
Guest Julian

You will probably have figured this out by now. Your car engine has very low compression due to worn piston rings and hence severe crankcase blowby. Rebuild the Motor. I have been reading in Automotive forums for years and I am amazed at the lack automobile knowledge out there. The infernal combustion

engine is so simple. No wonder we will never get beyond it! :ph34r:

Guest hec   
Guest hec

Good morning all,

I own a honda accord 90 lx, and having the same problem like most of you, car was running great last night until walmart, started up after the 4th try and carried on. Now this morning cold whether indeed the car refused to start. Fuel is getting in cuz now I gotta do an oil change and sparkplug change ahahaha. But I stuck a flathead in the ignition wires laid flat over the bolt I saw no spark. The dist was changed last month I'd find it odd for it brake down. Also theres a brand new ecu installed. Ran a multi meter test all proper amperage, check the fuses.

So now i'm wondering what else to do after i changed the plug and the oil if she wont go.

Guest Andy   
Guest Andy

Dave,

I do not think it is the starter. I think an earlier post was right. The problem most likely is the timing belt

needs to be replaced. This is common with these types of cars.

Guest Mn honda   
Guest Mn honda

I've had the same problem as everyone else. I've got a 90 Accord LX and the other day I left my house, it drove two blocks and then died. It hasn't started since. I've replaced the distributor, ignition coil, and spark plugs but I'm still not getting any spark. I'm getting fuel and the battery and ignition switch seem fine. But I live in upstate New York where it's been pretty cold - could this still be the main relay?

I had a similar problem. '90 accord. I was on a long raod trip 300 miles just dropped off my sister and a mile down the road my gauges went nuts and the car died and wouldn't start. Let me be more specific. It would fire and turn over but it wouldn't stay started. Ended up that my ignition switch was loose. I monkeyed around with my key position and if I found the "sweet spot" it would stay running. Good luck! N E one else have this problem?

Guest keith   
Guest keith

I have no assistance but i do have a similiar problem. 91 accord. F22B2 I think. I used to be able to start the car, drive it for awhile, then it would stall out. I'd have to leave it for an hour or so, then I it would start and I could drive it for another while. I've tried a new distributor (borrowed), I've replaced the fuel pump, the fuel regulator. Tomorrow I'm going to change the ecu I think, then I guess main relay. it has both fuel and spark. Very frustrating.

yes I had the same problem for a couple years I CHANGED EVERYTHING AND FIND OUT IT WAS THE MAIN RELAY

gvox    0

ok I'm reading all the stuff about main relay, soldering, etc

exactly what do they solder? the wires attached to the harness? or is it something inside the gray plastic housing that the relay is located in?

because i noted someone said they saw black burnt out and/or the connection wasnt good, if i just wiggle the wires in the harness will i get some result?

Guest Troy   
Guest Troy

I have been having a similar problem with my honda accord 90. If i have not driven my car in a day or so, this is what happens; It runs for about 5-10 mins, then it starts slowing down and comes to a complete stop. The engine and gas light come on, and i have to keep trying to start my car and i always have a had time getting it to start up. Sometimes it starts up again and cuts right back off, but when it comes back on it runs good for the rest of the day. I park my car in the garage daily so that the sun will not have a major effect on it. My dad suggested using better gas for the car, but i think that it is something internal that is making it stop when it has been dormant for a day or so. Does anyone have any suggestions?

It sounds very likely that your problem is the fuel filter. The filter may not be totally clogged, but empties upon running the engine and putting more fuel load than what the dirty filter can provide. Upon engine shut off, fuel is able to leach through and provide enouph to again get it going.

The filter change is pretty easy. It is located on the passenger side of the fire wall above the engine. The cost is around $22.00 for the filter. Hope this helps.

Guest justin hughes   
Guest justin hughes

if you find out whats wrong email me please my car does the same thing squad_up04@yahoo.com

why dont you check the spark plugs. if oil get in the spark plug holes from a bad valve cover gasket then it wont start. which a valve cover gasket is very cheap. if oil is getting inside of there wipe the oil off of the rubber piece leading from the distributer and it will start. if this is your problem

Guest Robert R   
Guest Robert R

I've got the same problem with a 89 Accord--just cranks, just cranks, wait awhile, then it starts.

I repair electronic equipment, and relays and soldering is familiar territory, so I'd like to try the soldering fix on the main relay. But what's the purpose of the soldering? Am I just resoldering all connections to eliminate cold solder joints? Or am I soldering a jumper to bypass something? Looking at the wiring diagram, I'm half-inclined to solder a jumper from pin 5 to 7 to bypass one of the relays, but is that anything like the fix that's been mentioned here?

Go to www.techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html and you will see where the relay is, how to take it out, how to test it and solder it yourself. You don't need to go to the dealership and pay $70.00.

Guest Liz T   
Guest Liz T

I had the same problem and it was my voltage regulator it lies right on top of the alternator. Take off the top to the alternator and you'll see it. I replaced 3 starters and my rpms were going crazy and battery light would be blinking on and off even my stereo would go on and off. I went to the junk yard ($5)took the part off and fixed it without taking the alternator off. I used a 8mm to take off 3 screws from the left side of the alternator, unhooked the plug, popped the case off. used a phillips to remove 3 or 4 small screws that hold the voltage regulator. Put it all back had to charge the battery for 2 minutes and it ran great/no more battery light.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w197/lizzeto/2011-04-06204255.jpg

Guest johan   
Guest johan

hey i use to have the same problem in my 90ex accord before but i change the MODULE is inside the distributor cap it look like a litter memory.

Guest I Cant Drive 55   
Guest I Cant Drive 55

You timing belt might be thrashed. That is what happened to my Honda.

If you look at the cam-gear when cranking the starter, you can see if the gear turns with the belt (loosen the cam-gear-cover to see in there, if necessary).

Timing belts rarely break, they get their teeth stripped off of them, causing the cam, and cam-gear, to remain stationary while the crankshaft turns.

timingbelt1.JPG

This is bad news. Time for a new timing belt, belt-tensioner, water pump with gasket & coolant, and sometimes cam-shaft oil seals and the crankshaft oil seal.

(we will ignore discussions on the problems associated with failed timing belts on "interference" engines, as these cars didn't have valve-to-piston clearance concerns).

Happy wrench turning!

Guest Gerrod   
Guest Gerrod

i got a question. I got a 1990 honda accord EX. A few weeks ago I had problems with the car but i changed the rotor button and it worked fine. A couple days after that it quit starting but i could still bypass the solenoid with a screwdriver to get it to start. Today i replaced the starter and it still wont start and now when i try to bypass the solenoid the car quits getting as much power. The dash lights inside dim and radio dies. I mess with the battery cable and everything comes back up and fuel pump kicks back on. I'm hoping one of you guys can throw me some ideas..i've been reading through these forums and i see many people have problems with the ignition coil and relays but i dont know where to start.

Guest gerrod   
Guest gerrod

well i can start it with a screwdriver again. all i did was clean the battery and the ground but i still cant get it to even crank with the key. sent my father to get a replacement for a relay that was next to the battery. its old and the part where a vacuum hose connects broke, not sure what its name is. i'm no mechanic by far. I'm going to start checking all the wiring and move on from there..hopefully somebody reading this can help me out

Guest Gerrod   
Guest Gerrod

Well after putting in a new ignition lock and switch the car is running, so it looks like i got it figured out for now until something else goes wrong. But atleast i have new plugs, wires, rotor button, fuel filter, ignition lock and switch, starter, and solenoid

Guest armyof20677   
Guest armyof20677

try and check for a vacuum leak then take the main relay off and the car and open that actual main relay and see if there is any crack on the soldering and if there is try an solder them again and if you dont like doing that then just try and buy a new main relay

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this