DC Message Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve Westminster

1990 Honda Accord Won't Start

Guest Wayne   
Guest Wayne

The coil. It is in the distributor.

My 90 Accord LX would start, run awhile, then die. After awhile it would start, run awhile, then die. Finally it wouldn't start. It turned out to be the coil. My daughter was having the same problems with her 91 LX. It was the coil. Good luck!

Guest STEVEN KANTOR   
Guest STEVEN  KANTOR

i have the same no start problem with my 97 accord, i'm interested in finding a new main relay. my parts store syays there are none made for my year, anyone know where a great place to get one, or info on soldering the old one?

Guest Greg   
Guest Greg

I've had the same problem as everyone else. I've got a 90 Accord LX and the other day I left my house, it drove two blocks and then died. It hasn't started since. I've replaced the distributor, ignition coil, and spark plugs but I'm still not getting any spark. I'm getting fuel and the battery and ignition switch seem fine. But I live in upstate New York where it's been pretty cold - could this still be the main relay?

Guest Greg   
Guest Greg

I replaced the main relay today and...

It wasn't the main realy. I've got a good starter, battery, new distributer, new igniter, new ignition coil, and now new main relay and I'm still getting no spark. The only thing left, I think, is the computer. Anyone have any ideas?

Guest Malbojia   
Guest Malbojia

Good morning all,

I own a honda accord 90 lx, and having the same problem like most of you, car was running great last night until walmart, started up after the 4th try and carried on. Now this morning cold whether indeed the car refused to start. Fuel is getting in cuz now I gotta do an oil change and sparkplug change ahahaha. But I stuck a flathead in the ignition wires laid flat over the bolt I saw no spark. The dist was changed last month I'd find it odd for it brake down. Also theres a brand new ecu installed. Ran a multi meter test all proper amperage, check the fuses.

So now i'm wondering what else to do after i changed the plug and the oil if she wont go.

Guest Laurence   
Guest Laurence

I have been having a similar problem with my honda accord 90. If i have not driven my car in a day or so, this is what happens; It runs for about 5-10 mins, then it starts slowing down and comes to a complete stop. The engine and gas light come on, and i have to keep trying to start my car and i always have a had time getting it to start up. Sometimes it starts up again and cuts right back off, but when it comes back on it runs good for the rest of the day. I park my car in the garage daily so that the sun will not have a major effect on it. My dad suggested using better gas for the car, but i think that it is something internal that is making it stop when it has been dormant for a day or so. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Guest Rene   
Guest Rene

This may not help but, I thought I'd express my frustrations with my 91 accord LX mt. I got in the car two days ago and the car just cranked. No sound of a attempt to ignite the fuel or a stumble. Just the starter whining away. I pulled the starter and the teeth were worn pretty well (200+k on the odo.) I put a new one in and the same struggles persisted.Pulled the valve cover off to verify the timing belt was still on and tight. pulled the cap, checked the coil, Igniter is new so I didn't dwell on that. Checked the fuses, found the main relay and still no positive effect. I managed to break my pcv valve in the process.Oh I did check the flywheel teeth and it ckecks out fine. So, finding no magical on/off switch, I jus put the key in the ignition an turned it. Guess what? It friigin started! It took more than just an average attempt by my new starter. it gurgled burped and finally a plume of smoke arose from the arse of my car! I let it run for awhile so it would get nice and hot and restarted it. I don't know what I did. But I did something. That's the frustrating part. Now tho parts shop to replace the pcv valve. Car runs erratic unless it plugged a little.

Guest DIY   
Guest DIY

I just wanted to add about the MAIN RELAY, Same problem

no matter hot or cold the car would just crank no start.

Would work for weeks then no start. After a fuel filter, pump

cap, rotor and plugs, same thing. !@#$%^. So I followed a

link and resoldered every connection on the relay pcb not knowing

which may be the problem one. Its been running for bout a month,

No issues since......... I dont plan on replacing the relay anytime soon.

Anyway you can get them for $50-80 on the web.

Guest envytea   
Guest envytea

My 1990 Accord EX starts, but dies after a few minutes. I have decided that it is the ignition coil creating the problem, and have tested the resistance through the coil. From what I have read on other websites, the coil too can change in performance with varying temperatures. My Chilton says that the resistance should be 12000-17000 ohms or so. I am reading 0 resistance. I have ordered a new coil, and I am going to replace it this week. If this does not work, I am going to go after the main relay. Thank you everyone for your ideas here. It is really a relief to know there are others trying to tackle similar problems. I'll keep you all posted.

Guest bill   
Guest bill

Does the distributor and timing belt turn when this relay is bad?

Please email me and let me know. Thanks Bill

carcass59701@yahoo.com

Guest bill   
Guest bill
Does the distributor and timing belt turn when this relay is bad?

Please email me and let me know. Thanks Bill

carcass59701@yahoo.com

I meant when the main relay is bad!! And where exactly is it located?(Main Relay)

Guest bill   
Guest bill
Hi, I've had the same problem with my 90 Accord LX and I'm going nuts.  I've replaced the battery, the battery cables, the spark plugs, the distributor and now the MAIN RELAY and my car still won't start!!!  I can hear the fuel pump come on so I'm getting really frustrated.  Anyway, I found great instructions for installing the main relay this morning and I did the job in less than ten minutes.  The only trouble is the TIGHT squeeze under the dash.  Anyway the website is: 

http://home.earthlink.net/~michaelpkeefe/H...o_MainRelay.htm

If anyone has any other ideas for me....drop a line.  Thanks.

Hey, I have the same problem as you. I replaced Main relay, distrib, wires, everything!!! I am getting lots of Fuel, I have lots of spark, but it will not fire up. I have been looking around this entire week and I still have yet to figure out something. My last option sounds like replacing the Timing belt. But thats not an easy job! Anyone know an easy way to do that on these cars?!

Thanks!

Have you taken the top part of the timing belt cover off(2 bolts) and checked to see if the belt turns when turn the motor over. If it is not the timing belt it may be a broken cam also, check that out.. Bill

Guest DIY   
Guest DIY

MAIN RELAY vs TIMING BELT - I went with looking at the main relay because the car, 90 honda accord, ran very well when it did, Just occational not starting. If your

car hasent started in the last 50 or so tries it propably wont start and the timing is way off or the belt is broken. Another MYTH is if you hear the relay it is working.....

BULL!@#$%^. Mine was still bad. Resoldering fixed it. No more issues. The Main Relay is a double relay that applies power to fuel pump and computer. If the car is cranking your timing belt should also be turning regardless of what condition the relay is in good or bad.

Heres a simple test that worked for me in the last ours of my madness. While the key is turned and cranking the car, unplug and replug in the relay a few times. Just

messing with it if its a bad solder joint will get the car running. If it starts relace or resolder the relays board. - Good Luck

Guest vast01   
Guest vast01

Here is something to think about, i am having the same problem as everyone else here, in my 94 EX 4door, and when the problem happens, if i keep the key in START position, it stays started. FRUSTRATING. Is this the same for the rest of you?

Guest samsam   
Guest samsam

my problem isnt exactly like y'llz,,, but in my 1990 accord ex auto,,as i was rollin,,, the car just suddenly died,, i thought it was because it was too hott,, so i pushed it into a parkining lot,, and then added more water,, gave it time to cool off,, and it started again,then as i was leaving the parkin lot,, it died on me again, but this time,, the starter would only make 1 click sound,, and not crank the engine,, so i took out the starter,, got it tested,,and they said it worked just fine, so i reinstalled it,,, same thing,, so i hit it with a hammer a few times,,then it started to spin,, but it wouldnt crank the engine,, all u hear is a whinning/spinning sound coming from the starter,, i took it out,, got it tested again and it again said it passed,, so i bought a new one anywayz,, the battery is fine,, i treid to put it in,,, now all i hear is the starter making 1 click sound again,,,, all the teeth on the flywheel are just fine,,,, does anyone have any ideas,,thanx

Guest samsam   
Guest samsam

its as if the flywheel wont turn!!!,,, does anyone have any idea why the flywheel wont turn,,, if u have any tips or any info at all, email me at samsonite2k3@yahoo.com thank you :)>-

Guest envytea   
Guest envytea

I am a bit PO'd....

I was having the problems described in my last post, so I put in a new ignition coil. The friggin thing ran for a while really well, but now it is effed-up again. It was in great shape for about 20 minutes though. Now, I think it may be the voltage regulator or something. I am going to mess with the main relay and look into prices for a voltage regulator. Does anyone have one for sale?

Guest Rick   
Guest Rick

I have read all these problems, and none really apply to me. When I turn the key, NOTHING happens. It doesn't click, it doesn't do anything. It's a standard, so I can push start it. It's a 91 honda accord 2.2 litre. It runs fine when I push start it. I thought maybe it was the starter/cylanoid but I have replaced the starter 3 times, and it didn't fix it. I was hoping it would be something witht he relay, or possibly ignition coil. I've had it looked at, but it was by a co-workers brother who is a mechanic, but not electrical. And I don't know anything about electrical problems. If someone could let me know something, any possible ideas. I would appreciate it.

Guest Rick   
Guest Rick
the starter would only make 1 click sound,,

now all i hear is the starter making 1 click sound again,,,,

That's exactly how mine started acting. I could click it a few times, then it would start. Then, in time, it quick even clicking. Any ideas?

Guest Guest   
Guest Guest

Hi Everyone-

I have a 1990 Honda Accord EX and recently I was out and stopped at a store and when I came out to leave my car would not start. It just turned over but didn't fire. I finally let it sit and my husband and I went back later and the car started. We got home and thought that everything was ok and the car didn't start later that evening. We thought that we would have a mechanic look at it and he told us that it was the distributor (?) We had that repaired and 1 week later the car does the same thing. The car will not start at all now...what could it be? Main relay?? I am not sure what it is....can anyone help out?

if you find out whats wrong email me please my car does the same thing squad_up04@yahoo.com

Guest Michael Reaves   
Guest Michael Reaves

I have a 1991 Honda Accord Wagon. I haven't been driving it much lately but try to drive it at least two or three times a month for the last four months. About two months ago I noticed that it was getting harder to start. I thought maybe the fact the sometimes it would sit for two weeks was the problem. I noticed that stepping on the gas made it harder to start. It would start when I turned the engine over and lay off the gas.

However, now it will not start. I drove the car and it sat for about 10 days. The next time I tried to start it, the engine would turn but it would not start. Stepping on the accelerator makes no difference. I have owned this car for 7 years and it has about 186k miles. Water pump. timing belt, plugs and wires were replaced about 30 months and 50k miles ago. PCV valve replaced about 28 months ago.

Until July of this year I was driving this car about 2500 miles/month. I have only put about 1500 miles on the car since July. Don't know if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions before I give up and have it towed to a garage?

Guest Richard   
Guest Richard

Hello, off the subject Ive got a question for you all. Ive got an 89 civic and the car wont run unless the ignition key is held almost to the starting position. Is that a bad key and tumbler?

Guest jspecvtec   
Guest jspecvtec

All these symptoms lead me to believe it is the ignition coil! I work on honda and acura and I have replaced atleast 5 ciols this summer! ;)

Guest CJH   
Guest CJH

Great resource. My wife's 200,000 mile 1990 Accord wouldn't start (dead of winter as is usually my luck). Drove to her work, no spark, cleaned inside of distributor cap, started right up! Bought new cap & rotor (no idea how old it was). Put on, no start, put old back on, no start, pulled a plug out, looked good, left plug out to check if it was sparking, motor started & ran with three plugs!

Put plug back in, no start. Thinking amplifier or computer, crap, visions of $$$ flying out of my wallet filled the cold winter air. Read this post & said must try it. Tough spot to get for me: 6'-4" with broad shoulders. Got relay reflowed solder & it started right up!!

Thanks to all for their posts!! Saved me many dollars & alot of freezing work in the driveway. The though of calling a tow truck for a car that I drove home & paying someone to fix it, broke my pride.

These Hondas are well built cars, having work on many different makes over the years, I am very impressed ith Honda's qulity & attention to detail. All except putting that important relay in such a difficult spot.

Guest jake   
Guest jake

okay here's the problem is that my honda accord LX won't start. it will crank and crank but it will not ignite. it is a manual and it also does have 186 thousand miles if someone could help me that would be great

thank you in advance in case i forget

sounds like your fuel pumps shot. To check it turn your key to the on position but dont start the car, listen closely, for a quiet hum in the rear of the car. (make sure you its not the antenna you hear). If you hear the hum your pumps good and its probably the relay. If you do not hear the hum, then you will most likely have to replace your fuel pump.To check your relay, turn your key to the on position as mentioned before, as soon as you turn it you should hear a click under the dash. That is your relay, and abour 2 seconds later it should click once more. No click, relay is bad. Clicks relay is good. But if its cranking over, and not catching. More than likely fuel pump. Thats just my 2 cents..........hope this helps ya.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this