Washington DC Message Boards

Calvert County Governement

Guest I hate Walmart

Guest I hate Walmart

After intense lobbying by locals, Calvert County officials passed tough regulations last summer that limited the size of big-box stores in quaint town centers such as Dunkirk's. But Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, appears to have hit upon a novel way around the rules: divide the store in two. Wal-Mart plans to build a 74,998-square-foot store cheek by jowl with a 22,689-square-foot garden center in Calvert County.

The two Wal-Marts -- each with its own entrance, utilities, bathrooms and cash registers -- would have a combined area 30 percent larger than the 75,000-square-foot limit for a single store in Dunkirk. The tactic is the latest example of Wal-Mart's increasingly creative responses to the scores of jurisdictions, including Prince William and Montgomery counties, that have passed regulations limiting the size and location of big-box stores.

• 9 years later...
Guest I hate calvert county

This is the most backward form of local government in the country. The officials could give a rats ass about the citizens and employees.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.